6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2010 6:20 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere 8 Codec

puiiki99

I have some DVDs that seem to be encoded with Nero or Sony codec and Elements 8 will not play them. I need to edit these DVDs and to do that I need CODEC that will work with Elements 8 to be able to do this. Is there a download some where?

• 1. Re: Premiere 8 Codec
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If these are DVD-Videos, they are encoded with the MPEG-2 CODEC, and PrE has that, from MainConcept.

How are you trying to Import these into PrE? What errors do you get?

This ARTICLE will give you much more background on DVD-Videos and the VOB's that they contain.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere 8 Codec
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As Hunt says, Premiere Elements will not play DVDs. You need to import the DVD files into a Premiere Elements project using Get Media.

• 3. Re: Premiere 8 Codec
              puiiki99 Level 1

Steve: Thanks for responding to my first problem. I have put it on hold for now. I have a new problem. I connected my old camcorder with the fire wire connection and saved several tapes as projects. When I try to open a project it says its opening it but it never opens. I checked the properties to make sure it saved the data and it is there, it just will not open. I need to edit it but it will not open. Another problem is I have a clip or video recorded in Sony vegas movie studio but it saved it as a video track and a sound track. How can I put the two tracks back together in elements? I am new at this video thing and it's killing me. The help section seems worthless as it answers nothing that I try to find. If I could find some one to help me with things getting started then I would be willing to send them a gift card if I can get the Email help that I need. Thanks much.

• 4. Re: Premiere 8 Codec
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's a lot of questions for one thread, puiiki.

I recommend you start a new thread for each question so there's not a lot of confusion when we answer.

• 5. Re: Premiere 8 Codec
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I have a clip or video recorded in Sony vegas movie studio but it saved it as a video track and a sound track. How can I put the two tracks back together in elements?

This might depend a bit on which formats/CODEC's you used, when you Exported from Vegas. However, you will basically Import each Asset into PrE. Drag the video-only file to a Video Track in the Timeline, and then drag the audio-only file to an Audio Track in the Timeline. Check that they line up. Having Snap ON will be very helpful here. Check sync. If it's not perfect, then turn Snap OFF, and zoom in on the Timeline horizontally. Nudge the Audio, until it does sync up. Turn Snap back ON. This ARTICLE will go into more detail. When done, you can Export/Share as a DV-AVI file, with both the Video and the Audio, and Multiplexing set to DV (do not set this as None).

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere 8 Codec
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I connected my old camcorder with the fire wire connection and saved several tapes as projects. When I try to open a project it says its opening it but it never opens. I checked the properties to make sure it saved the data and it is there, it just will not open

When you check your destination directory (where you pointed PrE to, when you did your Capture), what is the format of the files in that folder? Do they play fine in Windows Media Player?

Unfortunately, PrE does not offer some options for Projects, that PrPro does. The Project file is your PREL file. Is that what you are trying to Open, or are you trying to Open the AV files, that were Captured?

Good luck,

Hunt