5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2010 12:29 PM by Kodebuster

Can't open a PRE3 project in PRE8

em.ford

I can't seem to open a project I completed using PRE3, in PRE8. When I try to open it Loads Project up to 100% then says 'Sorry a serious error has occured that require APRE to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project.' There is no indication why it is doing this. It then shuts the whole program down. It will open other projects just not this one.

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Can't open a PRE3 project in PRE8
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Most earlier versions' Projects will open in later versions. There are exceptions, usually related to 3rd party Effects, Transitions, or Themes/Instant Movies. What you describe make me think that something else might be happening. This ARTICLE might give you tips on finding "clues" as to what else might be happening.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can't open a PRE3 project in PRE8
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As Hunt says, some of the later versions can open some of the later version projects (i.e., version 8 seems to be able to open version 7 projects). But that has not been the case in the past.

A leap from version 3 to version 8 is not likely. And, even if you can do it, you're likely to have a lot of weird hiccups in the file.

• 3. Re: Can't open a PRE3 project in PRE8
              ozdroggy Level 1

Steve Grisetti wrote:

As Hunt says, some of the later versions can open some of the later version projects (i.e., version 8 seems to be able to open version 7 projects). But that has not been the case in the past.

A leap from version 3 to version 8 is not likely. And, even if you can do it, you're likely to have a lot of weird hiccups in the file.

I have been using PE4 MOST successfully for the past couple of years and have actually recommended it to others. I am thinking of upgrading to PE8 but decided to comb this forum for possible problems. I am reading with horror the problems others seem to be having with this version.

My question: Having ARCHIVED a number of PE4 projects - which I happily reopen if I need to - will I be able to open with PE8 or is that also "too big a leap"

• 4. Re: Can't open a PRE3 project in PRE8
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You most likely not be able to do it without some sort of problems. I would not recommend it.

• 5. Re: Can't open a PRE3 project in PRE8
                  Kodebuster Level 3

Worst case, open the Project in PE3, then Export the video as DV-AVI.

You can then Import the DV-AVI into PE8.

This will get the video over to PE8, but not the DVD Menu structure, which would have to be re-done...

(You can have both PE3 and PE8 installed and operational at the same time)...