7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2010 9:54 AM by Adriepel

Camera Raw Editing is not enabled

Chesil

I am running Photoshop CS4 64 bit in Windows 7.

Whenever I try to open a .jpg or .tif image in Camera Raw get the message that Camera Raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature.

I am using Camera Raw 5.6. I have installed and copied manually the 64 bit plug-in and non 64 bit to the correct common files directory but cannot get anything other than my raw files to open.

I have also tried editing preferences but I am having no success at all.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: Camera Raw Editing is not enabled
          RouxStudios Level 1

I am having the exact same issue, running CS4 on Windows 7 64-bit.

Does anyone have any help??

• 2. Re: Camera Raw Editing is not enabled
            John Joslin Level 6

Camera Raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature.

I don't have Win7, but I did read that you have to run Photoshop "As Administrator" (via a right-click) at least once, even if you are sole user and administrator.

• 3. Re: Camera Raw Editing is not enabled
              Chesil Level 1

Thanks, John, but that doesn't work either.

• 4. Re: Camera Raw Editing is not enabled
                rasworth Level 1

I recently installed CS4 on a Windows 7 64 bit system with no problems.  I then applied the latest update which included ACR 5.6.  Again, no issues, and I have successfully loaded jpeg's into ACR (open from Bridge).  So from an existence theorem point of view it works, and I never had to "Run as Administrator".  My system has one user, defined at OS installation, so it has administrative privileges.  I have not enabled the built-in Administrator account.  And I have applied all W7 updates.  Both 32 and 64 bit CS4's are installed, although I have invoked only the 64 bit version.

Perhaps some more info wrt to your system will provide a clue.  Otherwise my advice is to completely uninstall and reinstall, although normally I am very reluctant to advise such, in my experience hardly ever works because there is usually some other problem.

Richard Southworth

• 5. Re: Camera Raw Editing is not enabled
                  RouxStudios Level 1

Josh- thanks for the input, didn't work for me either! Opening PS or Bridge to "Run As Admin".

Rasworth- I too recently updated to 7 and installed CS4, 64 bit, and applied the latest update to ACR 5.6. I did this same exact thing on my laptop- no issues, but for some reason the desktop has issues, and NOW- won't even open my raw files. Will try some Windows 7 updates and get back to you, but it looks like I am going to be reinstalling CS4 unless someone else has some insight.

Thanks guys for the input!

• 6. [SOLVED] Re: Camera Raw Editing is not enabled
                    RouxStudios Level 1

Acrobat Pro and other Adobe applications starting acting funny, and a friend over in the NAPP Forums suggested it was an activation issue. I never Deactivated my CS4 suite when I updated my Operating System, I didn't think I needed to. I deactivated and then reactivated and all is well in the world of Adobe Suite now!

To Deactivate:

Open Photoshop

Help>Deactivate...

It will ask if you are sure, say yes. It automatically closes itself out.

To ReActivate:

Open Photoshop: it will immediately ask you to type in your serial number or continue 30 day trial.

Enter your serial number.

Viola! Everything should work just fine now!

• 7. Re: Camera Raw Editing is not enabled
                      Adriepel

I have tried all of the above ideas and the one given to me by Adobe support and still have the same problem

I cannot open in Camera Raw and I cannot use the "Develop Settings" because that same screen shows up

Hope that somebody finds a solution for this...?????????.