3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2010 6:53 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8 Stopped Working

Curtis_f

I have been using Adobe Premiere on this machine (HP Laptop with Nvidia card) since mid-December without too many problems.  Occasional crashing, but I expected that with a laptop. Today when I tried to get in to work as soon as it opens a project it crashes.  I can cancel opening and it is fine. But then as soon as I go to open, it crashes.

Only two installations have been made since I used it last, Silverlight and Jing (Screencasting).  I uninstalled both, but still won't work. I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling, and still is doing the same thing.

I tried to look at installing an NVIDIA update, but HP hasn't released any Windows 7 drivers for this laptop.  NVIDIA's site says that drivers must be downloaded from the manufacturer's site for this driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Curt    

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Stopped Working
          Curtis_f Level 1

I think I figured out my problem.  I had used Jing to create screen shots, and was trying to use those screen shots in my Premier project.  And that is what was making it crash. (I recreated it on another machine).   When I erased the .swf  Jing files, Premiere stopped crashing.

I don't understand why when I uninstalled it that it didn't clear the user data like I told it to, because after reinstalling it shouldn't have been trying to load those files.  Oh well, live and learn.

Curt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Stopped Working
            Kodebuster Level 3

When you created the Screen captures with Jing, what was the output format of the captured images.

If I understand you correctly, it's these captured images that was crashing PE.

If you have the Photoshop piece of PE installed, you can use that to screen capture, save it out as Jpeg with a resolution of 1000x750, and these should work just fine with the video editor...

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Stopped Working
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I don't understand why when I uninstalled it that it didn't clear the user data like I told it to, because after reinstalling it shouldn't have been trying to load those files.

Many software packages will not remove any work done. Most Adobe programs are that way. This allows one to repair a bad installation, but not loose their work. With most Adobe programs, when you uninstall, neither the work done, say PREL (Project) files, and Exported AVI's, etc. are not removed, and it's the same for any Prefs files. Those are all retained.

Glad that you found out that the Jing SWF's were the problem. SWF's are packaged FLV files, and are really only fully supported in Adobe Flash, or similar. Now, the FLV's inside can often be edited. I Import them into PrPro, but I also have the Moyea FLV Importer plug-in for Premiere. I do not know if it works in PrE though. Moyea does have editors, that handle SWF and FLV's, along with that Importer plug-in. Might be worth looking into, if you are doing work with SWF's, and/or FLV's.

Thanks for reporting the cause of your problems, and good luck,

Hunt