3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2010 12:45 PM by shooternz

Problem importing QuickTime

CardiganComm

I am fairly new to Premier Pro.  When I attempt to importing QuickTime movies into a Project, I get an error message stating that the format is not supported.  Any thoughts or advice?  Thank you.

• 1. Re: Problem importing QuickTime
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It looks like QuiRcktime is right for once. That container can hold all sorts of crap. Use GSpot to figure out what that container holds.

• 2. Re: Problem importing QuickTime
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, the .MOV is but a "wrapper," and can contain all sorts of "stuff." The CODEC used to create those .MOV files is likely one that you do not have installed on your system, or is one that PrPro cannot use to edit. This ARTICLE will give you some background on the "wrappers."

The free utility, G-Spot, will give you lots of useful data, though .MOV files are not its strong suit - does much better with AVI and MPEG files, and less well with MOV and WMV files. QuickTime Pro (US$39 upgrade/unlock) will give you more info, when you hit Ctrl+J, with the file loaded.

It might be as easy as identifying the CODEC inside those MOV files, downloading and installing that, or maybe not, depending on the CODEC. There are some Mac-only CODEC's, that are seen in MOV files, that do not work on the PC.

Good luck, and let us know what is inside that MOV wrapper. Someone is likely to be able to point you in the right direction.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Problem importing QuickTime
              shooternz Level 6

Try installing latest version of QT or QTPro