8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 11:38 AM by cutmymovie

Adobe Media Encoder CS4 Crashing Immediately

Tostie14

Hello,

I am running the CS4 Production Premium suite on a Windows 7 64-bit computer with 12GB RAM. Up til last week, the whole Adobe suite had been running smoothly. (I primarily use Premiere, Media Encoder, Photoshop, and Encore).  However, Encore started locking up the computer any time I tried to work on authoring a Blu-ray (it locked up immediately upon opening a Blu-ray project, and only locked up on a new project when I switched from DVD to Blu-ray mode). 

I assumed that some of Encore's source code had either been moved, overwritten by something else, or that there was possibly a program incompatibility with something else on my computer. So I took the step to uninstall and reinstall Encore from the install DVDs.

Upon a "successful" reinstallation, I then went into Premiere CS4 to encode a timeline to a P2 file. Premiere seemed to be doing its normal exporting process fine, but Media Encoder would crash after the red splash screen disappeared. To be more explicit, the red splash screen would disappear and be replaced by a window the normal size of the Encoder program, but nothing appeared on screen in the window other than a small white box in the upper left with the rest just being plain gray (see attached photo). At the same time this white window appeared, Win 7 popped up a box saying that Adobe Media Encoder has stopped working and that it would search for a solution to the problem, which it never could do.

I then tried deactivating the suite, uninstalling the full suite and reinstalling, updating so the patches would bring it up to date, and then tried running Adobe Media Encoder again, this time running from the Start menu rather than from Premiere. Yet, it was still the same response: the program crashes immediately.

I would appreciate any suggestions and help that people can provide.

Sincerely,

Kevin T

San Diego, CA

• 1. Re: Adobe Media Encoder CS4 Crashing Immediately
          Tostie14 Level 1

And since I forgot to mention it, I have the Blackmagic Intensity Pro installed running the latest drivers. I have no other 3rd party plugins installed for the Adobe suite.

• 2. Re: Adobe Media Encoder CS4 Crashing Immediately
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Check that you are running 4.2.1 and that the BlackMagic drivers are the latest version. There have been reports of some problems with BM drivers.

• 3. Re: Adobe Media Encoder CS4 Crashing Immediately
              Tostie14 Level 1

Thanks Harm. Yes, I am running the latest drivers for Blackmagic Intensity Pro (3.5.1), all of the Adobe Suite has the latest updates installed, and my graphics card (Nvidia Quadro FX 1700) has the latest drivers installed as well.

Encore still is locking up the entire computer.

I've tried doing system restores to reset the computer back to times when I know Media Encoder was working, but that did not solve the problem. The same problems were there after doing the restore.

• 4. Re: Adobe Media Encoder CS4 Crashing Immediately
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Often, when a program hangs, or crashes, there is a breadcrumb trail left behind in Event Viewer. This ARTICLE will give you tips on finding clues as to what is happening, just before and during the crash. Be sure to follow all links in any error, or warning messages.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Adobe Media Encoder CS4 Crashing Immediately
                  Tostie14 Level 1

Here is the only relevant info I could find in the Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: Adobe Media Encoder.exe, version: 4.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x4af13937

Faulting module name: WatchFolder.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4af1344e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00011f03

Faulting process id: 0x834

Faulting application start time: 0x01ca9d3e4234c82b

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder CS4\Adobe Media Encoder.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder CS4\WatchFolder.dll

Report Id: 89095e2b-0931-11df-a5f1-00248c778de6

Does this seem fixable to anyone?

• 6. Re: Adobe Media Encoder CS4 Crashing Immediately
                    Tostie14 Level 1

Further searching using this WatchFolder.dll brought up other posts about a similar topic. Deleting all files in the %APPDATA%/Adobe/Adobe Media Encoder/4.0/ folder seemed to do the trick for getting Media Encoder up and running again.

However, Encore still locks up upon opening any Blu-ray project, or starting a new project and switching to Blu-ray mode. Any suggestions there?

• 7. Re: Adobe Media Encoder CS4 Crashing Immediately
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, at least there is some good news, mixed with the bad.

I have not read of similar with Encore, at least not that I recall. In the meantime, please also post to the Encore Forum, as some folk from there, do not come here.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - there are some posts on a Roxio module (built into Encore), and how updating it fixes many things in Encore. Jeff Bellune has commented on some of those threads, but I do not know if any of that will affect you.

• 8. Re: Adobe Media Encoder CS4 Crashing Immediately
                        cutmymovie Level 1

For WINDOWS XP, You can do a search for Watch Folder Info.xml in WINDOWS XP or it's  located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER  NAME\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder\4.0\

I'm  not sure about any of the following, but it seemed to help me.

Deleted  the file. Starting up Premiere CS4 and Adobe Media Encoder seems to  have created a new Watch Folder Info.xml file automatically in the above  folder.

I also updated Apple Quicktime as I think I  saw that somewhere and it usually doesn't hurt to do so.