9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2010 11:28 AM by kcroy

New Project does not recognize my windows shortcuts

kcroy

When I go to create a new project, any Windows Shortcuts are ignored. Shortcuts are visible if I use OPEN DOCUMENT, just not NEW DOCUMENT.

Is this a feature I can turn on?

Using Premier Pro cs4 v4.21.

Thanks in Advance!

• 1. Re: New Project does not recognize my windows shortcuts
          dradeke Adobe Employee

Go to Edit>Keyboard preferences and select your custom set.  From there it should work fine.  My guess would be that the standard keyboard shortcuts are employed by default each time you do a new project.

Regards,

Dennis

• 2. Re: New Project does not recognize my windows shortcuts
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Nice Avatar Dennis. I was somehow expecting something more Cameronesque...

Hunt

• 3. Re: New Project does not recognize my windows shortcuts
              kcroy Level 1

Hi Dennis,

I am not referring to keyboard shortcuts, but rather file shortcuts (aliases, symbolic links, etc). When I go to create a new project, I am only able to see files, and not shortcuts to files. This prevents me from quickly accessing my current projects, which are shortcuts on my desktop.

This only occurs in the "NEW PROJECT" UI that premier has - it does not occur with OPEN PROJECT or SAVE PROJECT.

How do I enable the viewing of shortcuts,( or sidestep this UI entirely ) when creating a new project?

Thanks!

kcroy

• 4. Re: New Project does not recognize my windows shortcuts
                shooternz Level 6

I am confused.  Maybe a terminology thing.. so...

Can you post a screen grab?

• 5. Re: New Project does not recognize my windows shortcuts
                  kcroy Level 1

Ceratinly - the following screengrabs compare the "new project" menu to the "open project" menu. Note that open project menu shows several folders not shown in the new project menu.

np.jpg op.jpg

• 6. Re: New Project does not recognize my windows shortcuts
                    shooternz Level 6

I am still struggling with this a little but will try and give you a solution via the way I store projects in my workflow.

I never store the Project file on the C: drive (or the "Desktop").  This is reserved for applications and OS only.

I have a Folder on a D: drive called PPro Projects. (Media Files are on other drives)

When I create a NEW PROJECT.  I create a Folder in this PPro Projects folder with the Job name ( ie Project Name eg. 'McDonalds Kids TVC')

This is where I look for any .ppj ( Project Files) to open if they are not on the Recent Projects menu on the splash screen.

BTW: I cant see the point of the ppj file on the desktop because I feel it is better to open a project from the application  and not by the association.

Hope this helps.

• 7. Re: New Project does not recognize my windows shortcuts
                      kcroy Level 1

Hi Shooternz,

I do not create new projects on my desktop. The files on my desktop are shortcuts to project folders on separate drives. For example, the AVATAR folder you see on my desktop in the second screenshot, actually has a path like this:

I:\Projects\Clientname\Advertisements\Online\Avatar

Instead of navigating through these paths everytime I want to open a file... I create a shortcut on my desktop for existing projects.

Adobe software has always allowed me to do this - However for some reason, Premier (and I think Encore too) do not seem to allow the use of shortcuts when creating a new project. This is odd, and unlike existing applications such as Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, etc.

The really confusing part for me is that Premier recognizes shortcuts, just not when creating a new file.

I am wondering if this is a user error on my part, or a bug in Premier.

Best,

kcr

• 8. Re: New Project does not recognize my windows shortcuts
                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

The "Open Project" dialog is a standard Windows Open/Save dialog.  Shortcuts are available in that dialog.  Pr uses that dialog because you're opening a file.

The "Location" dialog is a standard Windows Browse for Folder dialog.  Shortcuts are not shown because they're files, not folders.  You'll notice that no other file types are shown, either.  Pr uses that dialog because you are choosing a location (folder) in which to store your new project file.  The new project file will have the name that you put in the Name field, and it will be stored in the folder you chose for the location.

This is standard Windows stuff, and any app that opens a Browse for Folder dialog will behave the same way.  It's not just Pr.

If you want the behavior to change, then file a feature request for the Location control to open a "Browse for Files or Folders" dialog, which would show the shortcuts.

-Jeff

• 9. Re: New Project does not recognize my windows shortcuts
                          kcroy Level 1

Thanks Jeff, that makes sense.

Best,

kcr