4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2010 4:48 PM by Peter JD Matthews

Texture that is not a texture

Peter JD Matthews Level 1

Recently I filled a shape with what I would call a texture, but cannot now remember how I did it. I don't believe it was from

the filter/effects - texturise route since, that does not jog my memory, the document is CMYK so this route is greyed out,

and when I use this route on a trial RGB document I get a very different effect. My fill is a random looking series of short

straight horizontal and vertical black crossing lines on a white background. (See attachment) The effect -> texturise -> burlap route on an

RGB figure has longer, non straight horizontal lines only.

Any one suggest where I got this fill from?
      Peter

• 1. Re: Texture that is not a texture
          JETalmage Level 6

ALWAYS state what version you are using.

It's just a Pattern Swatch. At the bottom of the Swatches Palette, click the Show Swatch Kinds button and select Show All Swatches. You'll see the Pattern Swatch named Burlap listed. Mousedown on the Swatch's preview icon, drag and drop it onto the page. That's the content of the Pattern Swatch.

I don't know where you got it. It may have been a preset that shipped with some particular version(s); it may be something you downloaded; it may be something you or someone else drew. Regardless, you can just copy/paste an object that uses it to other documents, or you can store it in a Swatch Library of your own for future use.

JET

• 2. Re: Texture that is not a texture

Yes thanks - that is it. I am currently between CS2 and CS4 btw, so it was a little more complcated, since this swatch did not show up in the pallete in CS4, and there seemed to be no way of tracing where it came from in CS2. In CS4 I had to do the 'Other Library' thing and trace my way to swatches / patterns and then guess which of "Basic Graphics", "Decorative", "Nature" to follow and then guess again to eventually find Burlap in "Basic Graphics_Textures".  It looks like I must have found this in CS4 and then continued working in CS2 which does not seem to have this rout available.

Anyway you put me on the right track for which I am grateful. Is there any bettter way of finding ones way around swatches? It seems that after a decade of using Illo, and having produced hundreds of figures - I have very rarely used any of the swatch features!

Thanks,

Peter

• 3. Re: Texture that is not a texture
              JETalmage Level 6

Is there any bettter way of finding ones way around swatches?

I find Illustrator's treatment of palettes and libraries very cumbersome. I practically never use the presets, other than tediously digging to get the color books. So no, I don't have anything to offer as to a better way to navigate them.

JET

• 4. Re: Texture that is not a texture

Thanks anyway - Peter