17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2010 7:19 PM by able123

Blurry Bitmaps

syk1 Level 1

Hi, I'm in the process of exporting a video file (.mts) into a sequence of still images (windows bitmap). I've done it several times before and had no issues whatsoever. However, I am now experiencing problems. When I go through the exact same process, the majority of the images are blurred beyond recognition (see attached). Can anyone offer insight as to what might be the problem? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The first thing that I would look at would be the exact Frame chosen. If you manage to get a blurry Frame, then it will look like that. Look to either side, and hope that your MPEG video has a sharper one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
            syk1 Level 1

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. However, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Can you please provide a bit more detail?

• 3. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Can you please provide a bit more detail?

Certainly. What I am hoping that you do is find a nearby Frame, that does not show the extreme motion blur, as your example. With the "effective shutter angle" of video, motion, across the axis of the lens, will show blur. Often, one of the Frames, immediately before, or after, will show less of this. When searching for the best Frame to use for a still image, I will jog back and forth with the Cursor Keys, Frame-by-Frame, looking for the best. How sharp any will be will depend on the effective shutter angle and the amount of motion across the axis of the lens. The actual choice might be a compromise, such as a Frame, where the motion is slightly more on-axis, (say coming toward the camera, or away from it, rather than directly across the axis). The camera, the FPS of the recording, and a few other aspects, will dictate how good/sharp the individual Frames are.

Hope that this helps, and good luck - sometimes one has to look several Frames in either direction, and be satisfied with just the sharpness, rather than the exact moment. When viewed at the Asset's "projection speed" the blur is far less obvious - stop that projection speed, and the individual Frames can look very unsharp.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
                Level 4

Hi,

-------------------------------

I've done it several times before and had no issues whatsoever. However, I am now experiencing problems.

----------------------------------

So, Bill, what you're saying is that maybe this person should check the shutter speed on the camera ??

Rod

• 5. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
                  Level 4

Hi

I mean, of course, aside from the comprehensive explanation of what is going on...  that maybe it could be the camera settings.

Rod

• 6. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the footage could possibly be improved upon, with different settings, but even within the existing footage, it's likely that some nearby Frames are a bit sharper. That is what I am hoping, as the "film is in the can." Jogging, Frame by Frame will often yield better, nearby Frames for still images. I'll go to the general area for the still Export, and then study each nearby Frame, looking for one that is better than most others. Sometimes there WILL be a better Frame, and sometimes there will not.

Different cameras are better (and many offer better settings) for off-axis motion capture. Many pro and pro-sumer cameras allow one to choose different effective shutter angles. Most consumer cameras do not. Also, the Frame Rate can make a big difference, but that can also vary by camera make/model.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
                      Level 4

Hi,

When you say effective shutter angle, you mean like in motion pic cameras where the shutter angle of 180 degrees can be changed to allow more or less light to expose each frame...effectively changing the " shutter speed " ...The video camera allows something similar ?

Rod

• 8. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, sorta'. It's not exactly the same, physically, but can have similar results.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's one little bit on this:

http://www.petergray.org/F900lightable.html

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
                            Level 4

HI

Excellent article.. Thanks !  Has stuff I've been wondering about ..in it...explained...thanks...saved and formatted for "the book"

Rod

• 11. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Rod,

That "book" must be coming along nicely. I would suspect that you have the TOC and Index done, as you quickly grabbed a reference to it, for another thread!

Hunt

• 12. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
                                Level 4

Hi,

Hehehe..."The Book" is now really TWO (2) books...  But may generically (sp?) be referred to as: The Book.

Book A = Troubleshooting, Definitions, Specifications.

Book B = Program related Tutorials, Articles explaining processes, "HELP" files from Premiere (currently up to editing basics)

When I go through a specific process of input and export of certain types of Video successfully I will make notes and take screenshots of settings. The notes will also include what DID NOT WORK in general.  That stuff goes into back part of Book B.  There is a method to the placement but it gets moved around (edited) once in a while ...Fine Tuned, you might say.

Articles on exposure, relative ISO of film to Db levels of video, with 32k or 55k lighting..such as today's goes into Book B.

However, stuff like "Quality Control Issues", by Hunt goes into Book A.

book.jpg

• 13. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When you go to press, maybe I can get an "author's proof," but only if you'll sign it...

Hunt

• 14. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
                                    Level 4

Heh,

I look forward to the day I just use it for reference , instead of constantly ...

This is a never ending learning process, though once in a while I get a respite due to the high costs involved.  It's almost as bad as owning a saiboat.

Like, I'm merrily going through Jeff's tutorial on " Free " stuff you can use as part of my workflow, when suddenly I am confronted with frame serving to an application ( I find out when surfing on the web for the free application ) that costs $799.00   (which is ONE dollar shy of $800 - in case you think I'm an idiot and won't notice that ....gee, it's cheap..only in the 700's ....).  Geez.  Well, that put a damper on "Study Period ".

Rod

• 15. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      This is a never ending learning process...

Life should be a never ending learning process - otherwise, we die.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
                                        Level 4

Hi

Succinct.  On that note, I'm going to go learn how to cook and eat a hamburger.  Then on to the other forum for philosophy of "food for thought".

Rod

• 17. Re: Blurry Bitmaps
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey, hamburger is great! We do them about once per week, but with tweaks. Life is good.

Hunt