5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 11:13 PM by gwhPoster

Curved text

gwhPoster Level 1

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how I can get text to curve in the same way as the word "Primo" in the following logo? Is there an easy way to do this or would I have to manually adjust the points on the path?

primo_logo.gif

Appreciate any advice.

• 1. Re: Curved text
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

qwh,

You may Create the Live Type and then:

1) Type>Create Outlines;

2) Create a horizontal line cutting the P and including the dot, and just above/touching the other letters but not cutting them;

3) Select All and Pathfinder>Divide;

4) Ungroup and Group the lower and upper parts separately;

5) Apply a moderate negative value in Effect>Warp>Arc Lower, in the order of -20 to the lower Group;

6) Group the lot.

If the Live Type had been straight at the top (as in many cases with capitals) you could have left out 1) - 4) and 6) and just applied 5 to the Live Type itself. 1) and 2) are to keep the top unchanged, 4) and 6 are to make things easier to handle.

This will give a certain distortion (especially) of the lower part of the o as compared to the sample.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Curved text
            gwhPoster Level 1

Thanks for the instructions. I'll give this a try.

• 3. Re: Curved text
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You are welcome, gwh. Please report back.

• 4. Re: Curved text
                JETalmage Level 6

Set the text.

Object>EnvelopeDistort>MakeWithMesh.

One row, one column.

Mesh Tool: Click the left or right edge of the Envelope to add a horizontal divider at the X-height. This acts as a "holding" divider to prevent distortions of the bottom edge from affecting portions in the top row.

The text is still editable by using Object>EnvelopeDistort>EditContent.

Be advised, though, this is not really the kind of treatment in your example. Note that the O is not distorted, but merely scaled. Hand-drawn treatments of this kind of thing done with careful discernment regarding the type proportions is always better than the raw results of envelope distortions. Example: In the screenshot, note the ugly disproportions of the three instances of lowercase e. A good and proper logotype would not commit such sins.

JET

• 5. Re: Curved text
                  gwhPoster Level 1

Thanks for this alternate solution. I ended up using the first set of instructions successfully but it's always good to know other techniques.