6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2010 4:15 PM by JETalmage

Mitering Bug in Illustrator CS4?

Starrim Level 1

I finally bit the bullet and moved from Illustrator 10 to CS4 this winter. So far, it's been great! I don't regret it at all. On my very first project, though, I noticed that CS4 seems not to miter certain small paths correctly. At first I thought my geometry might not have been exact, but I opened the same file up in version 10 and the mitering is perfect. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm attaching two images of the same file, one opened in version 10 (with the mitering I had expected) and one in CS4 (with the incorrect mitering, circled in red).

I will add this to Wade's list too, but wanted to see if anyone else had had this problem. If not, where is the appropriate place to report a bug?

• 1. Re: Mitering Bug in Illustrator CS4?
          JETalmage Level 6

It's not "Wade's list." It's just a thread started by Lutz Albrecht after an overly AI-defensive reaction when someone in another thread posted a rant about uncorrected bugs and too few updates to correct known bugs. I fully expect it to soon go the route of all other such open-ended grab-bag threads, degenerating into a disorganized collection that no one can follow or make sense out of without reading through the whole thing.

In short, with no offense or disrespect intended toward Lutz, it's a bad idea. There are other places for "officially" reporting bugs, if you are so inclined. To discuss a bug with others here (discussion of specific subjects with other users being the purpose of this forum), it's far better to simply post individual threads, as you have with this one, than to bury it in an endlessly growing folder of unrelated topics and the inevitable spurious spin-offs.

Your screenshots don't show the seleted paths. Either describe exact steps to replicate the problem or post the file.

Several important bugs were introduced in CS3 with the sloppily-implemented changes to Outline Stroke in order to satisfy those who wanted Outline Stroke to work with dashes. That may be related, but one cannot tell without seeing your specific path.

JET

• 2. Re: Mitering Bug in Illustrator CS4?
            Starrim Level 1

The file is posted. Please see MiterBug.ai in the original post.

• 3. Re: Mitering Bug in Illustrator CS4?
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Definitely not my thread and I don't really think Mylenium's thread should not permanently posted at the top.

Yes it will degenerate into  chaos but since this is not the right place to file bug reports it would be a very good place to have all of those reports by authors who refuse to file proper bug reports or feature request.

And it is a good place for Illustrator Team engineers to look for work to do when they have nothing better to do.

As far as your problem goes have you tried a different mitter setting?

• 4. Re: Mitering Bug in Illustrator CS4?
                JETalmage Level 6

I can't say why it renders differently in AI10 (don't have it installed), but it renders the same in CS3 (again suggesting a connection to the changes made in that version). Note, however, from the screenshot that the right (outgoing) handle is not really retracted.

Note that the mitering corrects when the rightDirection handle is retracted:

JET

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Mitering Bug in Illustrator CS4?
                  Starrim Level 1

Interesting. How were you able to get the coordinates of the direction handles? And how were you able to numerically adjust them? What a cool feature that would be.

• 6. Re: Mitering Bug in Illustrator CS4?
                    JETalmage Level 6
                    How were you able to get the coordinates of the direction handles?

The dialog shown in the screenshots is a Script Alert. It's one of a handful of very simple "get info" Javascripts I use to obtain specific info about selections when working on more elaborate scripts.

//--start script

var docRef=app.activeDocument;
                    var pathRef=docRef.selection[0];
                    var pointsRef=pathRef.pathPoints;
                    var pointsCount=pointsRef.length;
                    for(i=0;i<pointsCount;i++){
                    var pointRef=pointsRef[i];
                    var myReturn="\r";
                    if(pointRef.selected==PathPointSelection.ANCHORPOINT){
                    alert("Anchor "+i+" X: "+pointRef.anchor[0]+myReturn+
                    "Anchor "+i+" Y: "+pointRef.anchor[1]+myReturn+
                    "LeftDirection X: "+pointRef.leftDirection[0]+myReturn+
                    "LeftDirection Y: "+pointRef.leftDirection[1]+myReturn+
                    "RightDirection X: "+pointRef.leftDirection[0]+myReturn+
                    "RightDirection Y: "+pointRef.rightDirection[1]);
                    }
                    }

//--end script

And how were you able to numerically adjust them?

I didn't. See the guides in the second screenshot? I just snapped a horizontal ruler guide to the bottom of the extended handle and a vertical ruler giude to the anchorPoint. Then I snapped the handle to the intersection of the two guides.

What a cool feature that would be.

Javascripts can be used to set coordinates of anchorPoint anchors and handles. Some of my scripts do. But you would have to be carefully specific about what exactly you want the behavior of the script to be. For example:

FreeHand has for decades provided retract and extend buttons for incoming and outgoing handles. Those buttons would fix your specific problem with a mere couple of clicks. Illustrator only just very recently got around to providing point kind (corner or smooth) conversion buttons in its Control Panel--and those fall far short of the functionality and utility of FreeHand's treatment. The FreeHand functionality could be constructed in Javascript without too much difficulty (the auto-extend portion of it would be the trickiest), so I would think it should be a piece of cake to build it into the program.

But don't hold your breath. The program still can't join more than two open paths at a time, either.

By the way, five out of the twelve innermost points of your path are Smooth Points. Unfortunately, Illustrator's convert buttons retracts the handles when you convert to cornerPoints, and doesn't give you any option to specify otherwise. See that little Automatic checkbox in FreeHand's Object inspector? Also, note how easy it is to differentiate between selected corner (round) and curve (square) points in FreeHand:

If I had but one pathpoint selected, its position would be shown above, too. In fact, in this one tidy palette I can see and set important things about a selected path or pathpoint for which in Illustrator you have to visit the Appearance, Attributes, and (of all things) Document Info palettes.

JET