4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2010 11:45 AM by jiggy1965

why use template layer

jiggy1965 Level 1

When it comes to tracing an image manually, what's the use of using a 'template layer'. I'm used to just using a normal layer, placing the image, locking the layer and setting it to a 50% dim. Placing an image on a template layer basically does the exact same thing, so what's the point, besides not having to click 'lock' and '50% dim' on the layer? Now if a 'template layer' would always shine trough anything drawn on normal layers above it (like the top layers would have 80% transparency so that I can see more of what I'm tracing), it would be useful. But now it only saves me two boxes to click (lock / 50% dim) on a normal layer. Hardly a time saver.

• 1. Re: why use template layer
          JETalmage Level 6

I agree. I've always just viewed the distinction as a near-worthless convenience. I also think it silly that the Dim Images option only dims raster images. It should dim (or should provide another checkbox to dim) all content on the layer. There are plenty of reasons one might want to manually trace vector objects as well as raster.

JET

• 2. Re: why use template layer
            Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A template layer is always non-printing.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: why use template layer
              Scott Falkner Level 5

I prefer to trace in Outline view, so that all paths are transparent and drawn 1-pixel wide, no matter the zoom level. When you toggle Outline View the Template layer stays dimmed and previewed (raster objects only).

It is also a mystery why only raster art is always previewed on a Template layer. Actually, it’s not much of a mystery why an Illustrator feature would only be half implemented and never upgraded in over 20 years. It would be more of a mystery if it worked.

My biggest gripe with the Template layer is that when you create on it is locked by default. What idiot thought that a newly created layer should start out locked so that nothing can be placed on it? Does that idiot still work at Adobe? Is there anyone who is not an idiot at Adobe who has noticed this mistake and made any effort to correct it?

• 4. Re: why use template layer
                jiggy1965 Level 1

"A template layer is always non-printing"

I know, but what's the point of keeping a non-printing layer. If it only builds up file size? When I'm done with a 'normal' layer, having traced it, I delete it anyway.

It's indeed a useless feature. Starting off locked. The dim feature could indeed also use some improvement, dimming only bitmap images.

I could (and do) use a normal layer, placing the trace image (bitmap) on it, locking and dimming it and trace upon it on a top normal layer. I guess I also could use a (again) normal layer, place bitmap/vector art on it, set it's transparancy to about 75% and lock it. Then trace it by adding a normal layer below it so the locked semi-transparent layer above it would keep shining through. Or something like that.

The best thing would be if a 'template layer' would mean a 75% reverse transparent layer. By reverse I mean that it shines through any layers above it instead that it covers layers below it like normal semi transparent layers. And thus also being able to place vector and bitmap images in such a layer which keeps shining through top layers. That's how I would see 'templates'. I hope adobe will pick up on that.