9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2007 7:37 AM by aniebel

Saving Flash File

Rohit.Arora
      Hi Buddies,

How to save Flash file at runtime so that we can let user download that modified SWF from the server? Downloading can be possible via "File References" but how to save a file dynamically?

Please suggest.

Rohit
        • 1. Re: Saving Flash File
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          a swf can't be modified during runtime so the issue is moot.
          • 2. Re: Saving Flash File
            Rohit.Arora Level 1
            but dude you must have seen the applications over net where you create something and then you save that canvas, save the file and download it whenever you require.

You can check this link out for an example: http://www.flip.com

Rohit
            • 3. Re: Saving Flash File
              that has nothing to do with the swf changing. the swf is still the same before, after and during its execution.

what you see on stage in flash,virtually always, changes during run time. if you want to save something that's on-stage while a swf is running and make that on-stage graphic available for download, that's a different issue.
              • 4. Re: Saving Flash File
                aniebel Level 2
                I am curious about this too. I assume it's a matter of capturing the swf in it's state via some server-side scripting but wouldn't know where to start.
                • 5. Re: Saving Flash File
                  what is it exactly that you want to capture? the value of variables and/or object properties? that's no problem. the graphics on-stage at some particular moment or moments? that's no problem. but "capturing the swf" in some "state" at runtime doesn't make sense.
                  • 6. Re: Saving Flash File
                    aniebel Level 2
                    What I'd like to do is have a swf with input text fields saved so it can be accessed via URL by another person with the edited text field intact. It's an editable e-card that can be saved (via PHP??), URL generated and forwarded via email.
                    • 7. Re: Saving Flash File
                      that would be easiest to do with two different swfs. it can be easily done with 1 swf, but if you understand how to do it with 2 swfs, you can probably see how to do it with 1 swf.

have 1 swf contain your input textfields. you can save the data entered by the user (or sender) using php and a server-side text file.

have 1 swf contain your dynamic textfields. you can read the data saved on the server-side text file using php and display that to the user (or card recipient).
                      • 8. Re: Saving Flash File
                        Lujunq Level 1
                        There are libraries that enable you to write simple swf files. Even from PHP you can create swfs on demand an make the customized result available for download. But remember that this is not a feature of the flash player. You'll need to use other tools to create your swf (like PHP itself).
                        • 9. Re: Saving Flash File
                          aniebel Level 2
                          Thanks to you both. I know a little PHP so I should be able to figure it out. Using two SWFs is definitely the way to go. I can't believe that never occurred to me but thanks kglad!