8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2011 11:34 PM by TheMastadon

In Flash CS4, how do you select multiple anchor points across separate layers?

Peacer90

I am talking about anchor points on a line, not a keyframe. They are also called "handles". I can select the anchor points as "white" quickly, but I can't get them to be "solid"without doing it layer by layer, which is tedious. What I want is way to select lines that are in different layers and get the points I selected in a way similar to the regular selection tool or free transform tool. I have been trying to do this all day and I can't find a good way to do this, and I would appreciate any help.

Here is an image of what I'm trying to do, but more easily. The lines are on separate layers, but when I select them with the subselection tool I have to go layer by layer selecting the points. I'm trying to look for a very quick way of doing it. When I do select all with the subselection tool on, the anchor points are only "white" and not "solid" as shown below.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9589/examplevp.png

• 1. Re: In Flash CS4, how do you select multiple anchor points across separate layers?
          Peacer90 Level 1

I guess it is not possible is it? It would be very convenient if it was.    

• 2. Re: In Flash CS4, how do you select multiple anchor points across separate layers?
            Peacer90 Level 1

I still haven't figured out a viable alternative, and what I am currently working on was being ruined until I took it in a different direction, so is there a way to do this?         

• 4. Re: In Flash CS4, how do you select multiple anchor points across separate layers?
              DigitalArchitectCanada Level 3

The answer..... for 10 points is this...

Use the subselect tool (the pointer just below or beside the black select tool pointer). Hold shift and begin to click on the different control points you want to select. As you click each one, it will add them/it to your current selection. So, you can select as many as you want then transform them.

If you have any problems let me know. If not kindly mark the question as answered. Thanks

Jesse

• 5. Re: In Flash CS4, how do you select multiple anchor points across separate layers?
                Peacer90 Level 1

I already knew that for months now, but that is way to slow. Why do I have to select each layer manually? Why can't I just select everything that is with the selection area, with a couple clicks rather than a painfully slow process where I can't even move them with my mouse, but only with my arrow keys which take forever and doesn't move in small steps?

• 6. Re: In Flash CS4, how do you select multiple anchor points across separate layers?
                  DigitalArchitectCanada Level 3

First of all, it's hard to tell if you meant to put it that way but your post seems like a kind of rude/snotty response to people who have taken free time out of their busy lives to attempt to help you. Perhaps you should be more selective in wording. Your recent post contains no question that anyone can answer and seems like just a rant to Adobe. Google up adobe flash wishlist and find their wishlist drop box or google the flash JIRA page and file an improvement with the suggestion. Take it from me, someone who used to whine and whine to adobe, doing stuff like this will just piss people off, like me, because you're wasting everyones time and when you're hinting at/complaining about flash IDE/player functionality you're not not "asking nicely." Now, the only answer/suggestion I can give you to help you out is that you can hold the SHIFT key while using the arrow keys and you can shift the points around very quickly, it takes mere seconds to adjust points not "forever."

• 7. Re: In Flash CS4, how do you select multiple anchor points across separate layers?
                    Peacer90 Level 1

Now you're post was a while ago and I still need a solution, but I have to say this. I didn't mean to be rude to you; it’s just that it doesn’t answer my question I specified in the original post. I know your intentions are good, but it frustrates me when someone doesn’t fully read a post and offers a solution, it sometimes gives a false impression that the problem is taken care of. Example of being "helpful": http://forums.adobe.com/message/2540277    Yes I know there is a “Yes, my question has been answered,” but you know they don’t always select it, and other people know that as well. But you are right; I should probably act a little bit nicer and reiterate what I’ve already said before, I’ll probably get more help from it. It just seems to be a simple feature that seems to be needed to be in the program. I didn't mean it takes forever to move, it takes forever to select multiple anchor points across, let's say 10 layers, so that's 10 different lines on 10 layers. You have to select each layer and then select the anchor points. If there is an away to select anchor points across all layers in one go please tell me. Maybe I was wrong, but I could’ve sworn I’ve seen ideas that were posted on here get taken into Adobe as a suggestion, but yes I submitted it as a suggestion to Adobe, but I wanted to confirm that there was no way of doing it first since it seems kind unbelievable because the regular selection tool works across multiple layers.

• 8. Re: In Flash CS4, how do you select multiple anchor points across separate layers?
                      TheMastadon

I figured it out. With the (V) selection, (the normal selection tool) double click so you go into Drawing Object Mode. Then select the pen tool, and then hold CTRL and then "drag" a box around the points you want. Now you can select multiple anchor points and move them around. When finished click on "Scene 1" and you'll be back to the main drawing board. I think this answers it. BOOM!

Edit: Just realized you meant over several layers. What you need to do is paste those other shapes onto the main Drawing Object, ie: copy/cut all your shapes and then open Drawing Mode and then SHIFT+CTRL+V (paste into place) onto this layer. Now you need to Break Apart each of the shapes so that there are no deeper levels. Now CTRL+Drag to select the points you want.