17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2010 5:54 PM by brettr2

Can't export sound

brettr2 Level 1

I have a video and audio track in a new project.  It looks/sounds fine in Premiere but once I export, the audio isn't there.  Instead I hear this loud buzzing almost screeching sound periodically.  There's a buzz...silence...buzz...silence that are a few seconds apart.  The audio file is an m4a, a song I purchased from iTunes.  Here are my export settings:

Source: 1920x1080

Output 720x480

Why isn't it outputting to 1920x1080p?

Export Settings:

Format: QuickTime

Preset: NTSC DV Widescreen 24p

Export Video checked

Export Audio checked

48000 Hz, Stereo, 16 bit

DV/NTSC 24p

I also converted the m4a audio file to an MP3 and added it to the project.  I clicked the eye on the m4a audio track so it doesn't play.  Only the video track and the MP3 track were available at that point and played in Premiere.  However, once I exported, only the audio played in the MOV file, no video. There was a black screen.  It was also a huge file - 1.34GB.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Here's my setup:

Production Premium 4

Macbook 2Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM

Once last thing, the video doesn't render to well within Premiere.  It's jerky, doesn't render all frames and sometimes can sit on one frame for a while.  Is that because of my machine resources?  What specifically - processor?

• 1. Re: Can't export sound
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Why isn't it outputting to 1920x1080p?

You have chosen a DV Output Preset. You need to adjust that for your intended delivery scheme. DV Output will go to the standard 720x480. That is NOT what you want. How do you intend to deliver this Exported footage? That will determine which Presets and adjustments you choose.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can't export sound
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, MP3 files can often cause problems. They are also highly compressed. I find them to be poor choices on many fronts.

It appears that you are going from an iTunes piece. Is this correct?

Now, I am on a PC, so there will likely be differences here, but this is my workflow from iTunes:

1.) create Playlist in iTunes with the necessary music

2.) Burn that Playlist to CD

3.) Rip the CDA material from the CD as WAV (Uncompressed). This will be 44.1 KHz 16-bit. From my audio editor (where I do the ripping), Audition in my case, I Save_As PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit.

4.) Import that file into PrPro for use.

Note: you might want to use another, non-compressed Mac audio format. I do not know how well, or poorly, Mac's work with WAV files.

I've never encountered the behavior that you describe.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can't export sound
              brettr2 Level 1

Thanks.  Premiere finally crashed.  Once I started it and reopened the project, I was able to export with audio.

I exported as QuickTime format and codec is HDV1080p24.  I then uploaded the .mov file to my website.  I can see and hear everything fine on my Mac.  But people on Windows can't see the video.  I'm guessing the codec might have something to do with it but Premiere provides no help on that.

• 4. Re: Can't export sound
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Gosh, I seldom think of a crash as a good thing, but...

Now, on your Web site, how is the MOV file packaged? That can make all of the difference sometimes. I did not see a link, but if you'll post it (or point me to it above), I'll check on my PC with a couple of browsers and give you feedback.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can't export sound
                  brettr2 Level 1

Thanks.  Actually, I copied this file from my Mac to a Windows machine and it is the same results.  No video.  I did download the latest Divx plugin for QuickTime and that did not help.  Besides so much trial and error, isn't there some better way to identify specifically what Windows is needing?

• 6. Re: Can't export sound
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Why are you trying anything with DivX? That is a delivery format, not suitable for editing. Never try to edit anything encoded in a delivery format.

• 7. Re: Can't export sound
                      brettr2 Level 1

I'm not editing with DivX.  Just trying to get video playback on Windows.

• 8. Re: Can't export sound
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you working in SD (Standard Def)? If so, if your source files are .MOV (Animation CODEC), they will work fine. I use them all of the time, and have never had any issue. What is the particular format/CODEC coming over from the Mac? QT Pro will give you that info with Ctrl+J. Not sure if G-Spot works on the Mac, but it's a great little AV file info utility, though it is a tad light on .MOV and similar variations. It also is light on WMV, but has great AVI and MPEG coverage.

For Audio, then the PCM/WAV is as good as it gets.

Let us know about the source footage, and I'm sure that someone can give you advice on getting from your Mac to your PC.

I also agree with Harm. DivX is a good, delivery-only format, but should not figure in, until you go to deliver.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Can't export sound
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

You can't see video and the topic is can't export sound, so what is going on?

• 10. Re: Can't export sound
                            brettr2 Level 1

SD?  I thought I was working in HD.  The video is coming from a Canon 5D Mark II, which is 1920x1080 HD.

From file info on the .mov codec, it is MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM.  Color profile is HD (1-1-1).  Hope that helps in providing clues about why it doesn't work on Windows.

You can't see video and the topic is can't export sound, so what is going on?

After Premiere crashed, I was able to export sound.  Guess I should have started a new post about the video not displaying on Windows machines.  Sorry for the confusion.

• 11. Re: Can't export sound
                              brettr2 Level 1

I exported as an MPEG-4, D1,DV PAL widescreen 16:9 and that plays video on Windows machines.  One thing strange about it on Windows, it doesn't seem to retain the widescreen aspect.  It looks as though the width is compressed since objects appear somewhat skinnier and taller on Windows.  The aspect is off.  The width x height on my Mac is 720x576 but I can't get any info out of Windows to determine what it is there.  Not the original size what ever it is using.

• 12. Re: Can't export sound
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Time for some basics:  Some suggestions and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

• 13. Re: Can't export sound
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

That was a question. I now see the Canon 5D MK II up-thread. That would mean a .MOV with H.264, and HD.

Sorry for the confusion,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Can't export sound
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    It looks as though the width is compressed since objects appear somewhat skinnier and taller on Windows.  The aspect is off.

This can often happen, when PrPro cannot properly read the flags for the Aspect Ratio. Using Interpret Footage should clear this up. Some cameras use different methods to capture Widescreen. Often, this will be defined by flags in the AV files. Sometimes, PrPro (and other NLE's) cannot properly read these flags and act on them. Interpret Footage will allow you to correct this.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Can't export sound
                                      brettr2 Level 1

Thanks Bill.  You've been very patient and a great help.  I tried the Interpret Footage setting have it to conform to 16:9 but it is still out of whack on Windows.  I'll keep trying different settings to see if I can get it into the correct aspect.

• 16. Re: Can't export sound
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        but it is still out of whack on Windows.

Where are you seeing this problem? The reason that I ask is because some players have different ways of handling Widescreen vs Standard. If it's PrPro, that is a moot point. Just curious.

Hunt

• 17. Re: Can't export sound
                                          brettr2 Level 1

In Windows Vista with QuickTime.