4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2010 2:40 PM by badlittlemonkey

Illustrator CS4 Classroom in a book

badlittlemonkey

Has anyone used the Classroom in a book?

I'm having huge problems trying to understand Chapter 14 and masking the image. It just seems a bit around the houses and some bits appear pointless.

I've gone over and over it and am now getting brain freeze!!!

• 1. Re: Illustrator CS4 Classroom in a book
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

place your image in a document make your path you want to use as a mask make certain it is on top of the image select both the image and masking path go to Object>Clipping Mask>Make.

Kind of simple actually I have not looked at Classroom in a book in a long time and there were a few things that could be a little clearer.

Now if you want to clip or mask another or shapes make certain the mask shape is on top of the other paths and theselct thepaths you want to mask and the one you will use for the mask and perform the same command as above.

• 2. Re: Illustrator CS4 Classroom in a book
            badlittlemonkey Level 1

Thanks Wade  but I really want to know the point of doing certain things in this particular exercise is all about.

Editing and Duplicating a placed image = duplicate the background.psd and drag it down to almost the bottom of the layers panel and name it Masked Background. Edit the colours of background.psd and deselect the eye icon of the Masked Background sublayer. All that is fine. But then it goes on to Applying a Clipping Mask to an Image and talks about using the background.psd, text and keyboard layers = "this applies a clipping mask to the image in the shape and size of the image" WHAT??!!! Then click and drag the bounding points creating a background image that is masked. Again WHAT??!!

And then after all that, you have to hide the background image!!

Creating Compound Paths and Opacity Masks is just as mind boggling with "masking the Masked Background with a mask"

• 3. Re: Illustrator CS4 Classroom in a book
              JETalmage Level 6

I'm sorry...and what part of that do you find confusing? ;-)

It's par-for-the-Illustrator-course. I haven't used the book, but I'm glad to see it has so well captured the spirit of Illustrator. To wit:

• A Stroke is not an Attribute but an Appearance, but Appearances have Attributes therefore a Stroke has Attributes.
              • You can select a Segment independendently of its anchorPoints but a Segment can't exist without anchorPoints. So if you Cut just a Segment to the clipboard, you actually Cut a Segment and two anchorPoints, even though the two anchorPoints will stay behind on the page--uh, no--Artboard. And if you Paste what you Cut, you will Paste one Segment and two anchorPoints so you will now have one Segment and four anchorPoints.
              • If you need to view info about something, look to the Control Panel, even if you don't want to control it, unless you need info on it, in which case you look in the Info Panel, unless you need info on it, in which case you go to the Document Info Panel's flyout menu and select Selection Only and then go to the Document Info Panel's flyout menu and select Objects. Don't look to the Appearance Panel for info unless, of course, the info you seek is about the something's Appearances.

You're welcome. Always glad to help.

JET

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Illustrator CS4 Classroom in a book
                badlittlemonkey Level 1

JET

That was smashing!!! I'm so glad it's not me just being thick.

2010/1/24 JETalmage <forums@adobe.com>

I'm sorry...and what part of that do you find confusing?

>

It's par-for-the-Illustrator-course. I haven't used the book, but I'm glad

to see it has so well captured the spirit of Illustrator. To wit:

>

• A Stroke is not an Attribute but an Appearance, but Appearances have

Attributes therefore a Stroke has Attributes.

• You can select a Segment independendently of its anchorPoints but a

Segment can't exist without anchorPoints. So if you Cut just a Segment to

the clipboard, you actually Cut a Segment and two anchorPoints, even though

the two anchorPoints will stay behind on the pageuh, noArtboard. And

if you Paste what you Cut, you will Paste one Segment and two anchorPoints

so you will now have one Segment and four anchorPoints.

• If you need to view info about something, look to the Control Panel, even

if you don't want to control it, unless you need info on it, in which case

you look in the Info Panel, unless you need info on it, in which case you go

to the Document Info Panel's flyout menu and select Selection Only and then

go to the Document Info Panel's flyout menu and select Object. Don't look to

the Appearance Panel for info, unless, of course the info you seek is about

the something's Appearances.

>

You're welcome. Always glad to help.

>

JET

>