3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2010 11:51 AM by oukre87

Trouble with Sony DCR TRV Camcorder

oukre87

I am unable to get Prem Elements 8.0 to recognize my Sony DCR TRV Digital Camcorder. I have tried all

the workarounds including redownloading the Sony Driver Software, Manual install in PE (but Check Status

remains offline).  I am using the USB link between the camcorder and computer (computer does not have

firewire).  I have also rebooted the computer, turned camcorder on and off, and I downloaded the Sony

driver software with the camera not hooked up.  Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Sandy

• 1. Re: Trouble with Sony DCR TRV Camcorder
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Sandy,

You will need to install a FW connection on the computer. The USB connection will never be recognized. FW cards are very inexpensive, and if you have a PCMCIA, or ExpressCard slot, you can use that too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Trouble with Sony DCR TRV Camcorder
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Just checked the specs. for the 250 version of your camera, and it mentions that it has an iLink (IEEE-1394) connection.

If you do add a card, one consideration might be to look for one that has a controller chip for each IEEE-1394 (FW) socket on it. There are also multi-cards, that offer more USB connections, plus several FW connections. All one needs is a few $, an empty PCI slot, and a screwdriver.

If you get a single controller chip card (cheaper), do not plug any other FW device in, while doing the Capture, regardless of the number of sockets. Also, do not daisy-chain the camera for Capture. You want it to be the ONLY device on that chip.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Trouble with Sony DCR TRV Camcorder
              oukre87 Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks very much for the email and suggestions.  I finally stumbled onto the reality

that I would have to have FW.

Regards,

Sandy

Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:57:55 -0700

To: eparker32@hotmail.com

Subject: Trouble with Sony DCR TRV Camcorder

Just checked the specs. for the 250 version of your camera, and it mentions that it has an iLink (IEEE-1394) connection.

If you do add a card, one consideration might be to look for one that has a controller chip for each IEEE-1394 (FW) socket on it. There are also multi-cards, that offer more USB connections, plus several FW connections. All one needs is a few $, an empty PCI slot, and a screwdriver.

If you get a single controller chip card (cheaper), do not plug any other FW device in, while doing the Capture, regardless of the number of sockets. Also, do not daisy-chain the camera for Capture. You want it to be the ONLY device on that chip.

Good luck,

Hunt

>