4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 12:56 PM by l1o1t1r1

illustrator cs4 and photoshop cs4 animation files

l1o1t1r1 Level 1

In ps cs4  using the animation tools you can draw over an image frame then save out the frames of the drawings. I would like to know if in illlustrator cs4 if you can open the movie files (they could be avi etc) in illustrator cs4 and save the line drawing on each frame as a vector file?

TIA

John

• 1. Re: illustrator cs4 and photoshop cs4 animation files
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No and Yes. You can't place movies, but you export layers to individual files. How sensible this is, is another question as any such animation could be done much more efficiently natively in Flash, After Effects, Toonboom and otehr tools rather than dealing with endless sequences of vector files....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: illustrator cs4 and photoshop cs4 animation files
            l1o1t1r1 Level 1

OK

To explain the project maybe you can help.

I shoot some live footage with video camera HD 720p - this footage is to be rotoscoped of the action of the character.

The HD 720p is not 2k res so their ratio is not correct for 2k so I was thinking the line drawings (rotoscoped)  bring them into illustratorcs4 and convert the line drawings into vector files so they can be brought into the 2k file size and scaled to ratio that works with the 2k files

Once these line drawing vectors are on the correct frames in the movie 2k file - framesave them out and paint in pscs4extended and paint the layer and save back out into a movie file (avi, etc)

Your thoughts about doing this would be appreciated and which software to use

I have

pscs4extended

illustratorcs4

premiereprocs4

aftereffectsprocs4

flashprocs4

• 3. Re: illustrator cs4 and photoshop cs4 animation files
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

you might be able to export it as Mylenium suggested and selecting allthe art resize the document and or artboard and bringing that into After Effects

but I wonder if doing this in Roto would be better or simply resize your file to 2k propotions or better yet rent t5he proper format cam.

I have to say in my way of looking at this seems like the worse possible way of doing this, I know you have a cam but if it is not the right tool rent the right one is the best way of going about this.

This seems like trying to fit a sqaure peg in a round hole>

• 4. Re: illustrator cs4 and photoshop cs4 animation files
                l1o1t1r1 Level 1

That makes sense - The resolution doesn't matter on the roto film input - resize that footage save out to save a copy then bring into photoshop and draw over the action footage save out and bring into after effects(or Premiere) to overlay onto the 2k film stock