9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2010 6:46 AM by Metal Artist

Use of a capture board in Premiere Pro CS4

Metal Artist

For several years I have been using Premiere Pro 1.5 with a Canopus Storm 2 capture card and drivers.  It has been working fine for me.  Actually I have been doing event video for about twenty years and have gone through a lot of Premiere progams.  I went from VHS to S-VHS and then into Mini DV.  I don't think I will be going to HD.  However, like life, we need to keep up with some of the changes.  So I have been considering upgrading to Premiere Pro CS4.  I was told that Canopus is no longer working with Adobe and that now it is Grass Valley and they have their own editing software.  They no longer want to let the user of their products use Adobe products.  If this is so, then what type of capture card is working with Premiere Pro CS4?  And what is the cost for my changing my system?  At least a ball park figure.  I just had a new OS put into my video editing computer and right now everything is screwed up.  The Adobe Premiere Pro and Canopus seem to be working okay, but I am not getting anything out from my computer to my editing monitor and sound mixer.  I worked all week on it and to no avail.  For years I did event video and put out some fantastic stuff, now I just want to do some informational videos and nothing is working right.  I am open for suggestions.

• 1. Re: Use of a capture board in Premiere Pro CS4
          shooternz Level 6

You dont need a "capture board" in PPro. (especially if you are sticking with DV)

Best thing I ever did was dump the Matrox cards in CS2 and subsequently.

• 2. Re: Use of a capture board in Premiere Pro CS4
            Harm Millaard Level 7

DVStorm is in the same class as Matrox. Expensive and no longer works reliably with Adobe. I have used DVStorm for years, but got rid of it after PPro 7.0 since they never solved their driver problems. Just sell it (if anybody is still interested?) or use it as a doorstopper. Works great!

You don't need a capture card at all. Firewire for HDV/DV is all you need, or any other ingest for media based cameras, USB and the like.

• 3. Re: Use of a capture board in Premiere Pro CS4
              Metal Artist Level 1

Thanks guys, for your help.  However, I am a little confused.  I guess my confusion comes from my past years of beginning with a pinnacle card to capture my video into my computer, and then later graduating to Adobe Premiere, before the Pro series.  That was between fifteen and twenty years ago.  So all my mind can grasp is a "Capture Card" mentality.  Can you give me more to go on?  Are you saying that I can just uninstall all of my Canopus downloads, and remove the Canopus Storm 2 card from my motherboard, and then update my Premiere 1.5 to Premiere Pro CS4 and I can continue to edit with the same ease I am now doing my work?  Where do I download my Mini DV video into my computer?  right now I have a Sony DV CAM DVR "DSR-30" hooked up with a firewire that goes into the Storm 2 capture card in the back of my computer.

I really do appreciate your advise.  You seem to know what you are talking about.

Respectfully,

Dick

• 4. Re: Use of a capture board in Premiere Pro CS4
                shooternz Level 6

You can connect the same F/W cable from your camera , direct to a F/W port on your computer.

Many of us eliminated 3rd party capture boards a long time ago and these eliminated many issues without any loss of functionality.

I suggest: Dont uninstall any of your existing drivers until you get this up and working properly and you are happy with the workflow.

BTW: You will use simple PPro DV Presets to set up your Timelines. ie not the Canopus ones .

• 5. Re: Use of a capture board in Premiere Pro CS4
                  medeamajic Level 2
                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

shooternz wrote:

You can connect the same F/W cable from your camera , direct to a F/W port on your computer.

Many of us eliminated 3rd party capture boards a long time ago and these eliminated many issues without any loss of functionality.

I suggest: Dont uninstall any of your existing drivers until you get this up and working properly and you are happy with the workflow.

BTW: You will use simple PPro DV Presets to set up your Timelines. ie not the Canopus ones .

I agree. There is no need for 3rd party hardware anymore. If you have  Quad Core you should get some decent realtime previews.

• 6. Re: Use of a capture board in Premiere Pro CS4
                    Bisa Goma Level 2

A wise decision will be keeping your old machine for the Canopus as it is stable and keeping the business flowing.  Get a new system for the PPro 3 or 4 with a Blackmagic Decklink Intensity Pro card ($199.00). Intensity Pro the best capture card for Ppro, is highly underated and more than it's cost, for capturing and previewing and putputing, SD, HD, SVIDEO  and more. By so doing you will have a smooth transition to the latest versions, as they have some problems here and there, but you will have options to work with. I did that and still go back to those Canopus fx and the component output comes in handy to my Betacam deck.

• 7. Re: Use of a capture board in Premiere Pro CS4
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Do the following test: Download Scenalyzer, connect your camera to a firewire port on your PC and try to capture with Scenalyzer. If that works, then remove everything Canopus and upgrade to CS4. You then have the perfect capture tool for DV. For HDV use HDVSplit, much better then PR and free.

I am surprised you haven't tripped over any of the many bugs with the Canopus drivers in combination with 1.5.

I can't remember all of them, but the list was pretty long and discussion on the Canopus forum was intense at that time.

• 8. Re: Use of a capture board in Premiere Pro CS4
                        medeamajic Level 2

I also had a Canopus DV Storm

• 9. Re: Use of a capture board in Premiere Pro CS4
                          Metal Artist Level 1

Okay Harm,  that is part of the problem.  Since I put in a new OS I can't get my video editing to do right.  Nothing is showing up on my studio monitor that is hooked to the Storm 2 card and nothing is coming in to my Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro line mixer that is connected to a CREATIVE Sound Blaster Live card.  I have done everything I can think of and nothing is coming out.  I have everything hooked up just like it has been for the past five or six years.  I downloaded all of my software - Previere Pro first and then Canopus and then Sound Blaster and the plug-ins seem to go in okay.  What I am getting is a sound apperance on the Premiere sound screen and also a wave form on the timeline.  In all apperance the Storm card and the Premiere are working, but nothing seems to be coming out.  Also I am getting no sound out when I download music in Audition.  I did before I replaced my Windows XP SP3 OS.

I didn't know that the Canopus Storm 2 had a conflict with PP 1.5.  I guess I never experienced any trounble before.

I just now went into my Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 and opened up a capture that I had downloaded into the timeline.  Here is what happens. When I scrub the Capture monitor in PP everything works fine in the computer and the studio monitor and sound line mixer.  But when I scrub the timeline I get no sound out, and nothing shows up on my studio monitor.  It is almost like everything is reverse.