10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 3:23 PM by Bigthogski

Can someone tell me how I would create text in this fashion?

Bigthogski

images.jpg

I am attempted to create a logo for a softball team, the cyclones. This would be a great start and I would like to try this text treatment. I have no idea how this effect was done. I found this using a google image search and while I have no intention of copying it, I would like to integrate the text effect.

• 1. Re: Can someone tell me how I would create text in this fashion?
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Bigthogski,

You may have a look at the Twirl Tool, or rather the Effect>Distort and Transfor>Twist, start working on a distribution over a circle that will end up right, create a Compound Path of the lot, and moderate settings. You may skip the Compound Path if you use Filter>Distort>Twist, but then Undo is your only friend, and only while it lasts.

• 2. Re: Can someone tell me how I would create text in this fashion?
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Jacob is of course aware that in CS 4 the filter does not exist.

With the right settings the twirl (distoirt tools) tool can work as well and since you do not really need to copy this logo since it is just inspiration
            you can alsso look at the warp effects as well which will give you other options.

• 3. Re: Can someone tell me how I would create text in this fashion?
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              Jacob is of course aware that in CS 4 the filter does not exist.

But he tends to forget that, and some other things he may not even remember now.

• 4. Re: Can someone tell me how I would create text in this fashion?
                Bigthogski Level 1

Can you be a little more specific. I have worked and played for a couple of hours now and still cannot get the desired effect. I attempted to create the path with the pen tool, then fill text in path, struggling to get the right effect. Any help would be great.

• 5. Re: Can someone tell me how I would create text in this fashion?
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Try this and make life simple.

Type the word CYCLONE any where in an empty document.

select it with the direct select tool or selction tool.

Go to Effects>Distort and Transform>Twist turn preview on and play with the settings.

Also go tothe tool bar and check out the distortion tools

Also go to Google and type Using the Twist Effect in Illustrator / Tutorials

Also in Google Using the distortion tools in Illustrator

part of the problemis that you need to leqarn how to use the tools and if you make a mistake you have to recoup and try something else and most of all learn how the tools work.

We cannot tell you how to reproduce this logo, I for one do not want to and secfondly you'll be happier learning how to uwse the tool to be a bit more original.

That is why I gave you alternative tools to work with so you can find your own way.

So look at the tutorials and see if you like the results.

BTW since we did not create this logo we do not have the step by step process as the creator of the logo found their own way and this is not a specific technique.

• 6. Re: Can someone tell me how I would create text in this fashion?
                    JETalmage Level 6

First, a necessary "disclaimer" so I can sleep at night:

All features that let you do things like this to text should automatically invoke an alert dialog that reads:

"WARNING: Just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean you should."

Designs involving gross distortions of text should only be done by people with some sense of type design, and the path editing skills to do it right. I would no sooner try to pass off to a client the raw results of such automatic-instant-eye-candy distortion features as a proper commercial "logo" than I would try to pass off to my boss cold Spagetti-Os straight-out-of-the-can as a "fine Italian dinner."

I'd rather see beer cans on the roadside than more amateurish applications of cheezy text distortions on signs, letterheads, brochures, web pages, et al.--and I highly despise littering.

Okay. Guilt for the following hereby assuaged, drawing such a thing can easily be done much more controllably with a little geometric construction for use as guides, and a simple Envelope, than by futzing around with do-it-for-me features like the so-called Liquify tools. The following assumes SmartGuides is on for reasonably reliable snaps:

Zzzzzz....Zzzzzz....

JET

• 7. Re: Can someone tell me how I would create text in this fashion?
                      Bigthogski Level 1

Jet,

Thank for the quick tutorial. I understand the reason for your disclaimer. This is for a Little League sweatshirt and I am far from a graphic designer. I enjoy offering to help when I see a challenge and I dont want the kids to be subjected to ****** clipart on a shirt they will have to wear all year. Had it been my choice I simply would have chosen a different mascot; hurricanes and cyclones tend to invite little imagination for a design.

Thank you for pointing out that just because something can be done, does not mean it should be. Since I am just a father of a child who happens to play softball for a non-profit, volunteer based little league I will definately stay in my lane. By know means did I mean to disrupt the order of the designers or insult their ability in a forum with many talented users. I was lazy in the sense that I found something that would work for a sweatshirt and chose to try and create it myself rather than copy someone else's hard work. I sincerely needed the help and appreciate it.

Very thankful,

Ryan

• 8. Re: Can someone tell me how I would create text in this fashion?
                        SuperMacGuy Level 2

Really sometimes you just have to draw it by hand. I mean literally on a piece of paper, scan it, then trace to get the logo you want. I've found that good logo design is usually better served by doodling with pencil than trying to start on the computer.

• 9. Re: Can someone tell me how I would create text in this fashion?
                          Doug.S Level 3

I agree, a manual design is much more likely to

have the better effect than a twirl type tool set to "auto".

By hand you have much better control of the final result and can make the text more readable.

...even if you have to place each character individually....maybe overlaid on a sketch or a sample done with the twirl effect.

Of course the trade-off is time vs. quality......a common trade-off

Doug.S

• 10. Re: Can someone tell me how I would create text in this fashion?
                            Bigthogski Level 1

JETalmage got it right. He got me to create the guide so I could get a good layout. From them I was able to use the handles and will my text in to shape.

Thanks everyone. and JETalmage thanks for the great tutorial. More than I could have expected.