5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2007 5:34 AM by Newsgroup_User

Copied and pasted text looks strange

truman262
      Help! I need to copy text from our Quark docs and paste it into my Dreamweaver pages. When I do, I get some very strange characters. I changed the page encoding to UTF8, but it doesn't make any difference. I can type of the page fine, but if I paste into it, my text get the weird characters. Also, I can't delete the characters, as it will just change some other part of the text to a weird character.....very odd and it's driving me to drink.

Please help me.
        • 1. Re: Copied and pasted text looks strange
          Level 7
          On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:03:53 +0000 (UTC), "truman262"
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Help! I need to copy text from our Quark docs and paste it into my Dreamweaver
          >pages. When I do, I get some very strange characters. I changed the page
          >encoding to UTF8, but it doesn't make any difference. I can type of the page
          >fine, but if I paste into it, my text get the weird characters. Also, I can't
          >delete the characters, as it will just change some other part of the text to a
          >weird character.....very odd and it's driving me to drink.
          >
          > Please help me.

Copy, paste into Notepad
          Copy, paste into DW
          • 2. Re: Copied and pasted text looks strange
            truman262 Level 1
            I just found that out, it's just one more step that all the upgrades have cost. It's like the software doesn't want to play nice with other software.

Thanks for the help:)
            • 3. Re: Copied and pasted text looks strange
              Level 7
              It's not the upgrades... programs like Quark, Illustrator, In Design, etc
              will carry formatting in the paste. Running through notepad is a simple
              fix. You could probably also do it by using find and replace to strip all
              tags out of the copied text. But filtering through notepad is simply faster.

• 4. Re: Copied and pasted text looks strange
                Level 7
                On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:41:44 +0000 (UTC), "truman262"
                <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>I just found that out, it's just one more step that all the upgrades have cost. It's like the software doesn't want to play nice with other software.
                >
                >Thanks for the help:)

...or, you could look at it like this: DW is more aware and carries
                everything you copied.

Pasting via Notepad has been automatic for me for ages. It add two
                seconds to the process.
                • 5. Re: Copied and pasted text looks strange
                  Level 7
                  Or use the different paste options that DW has... paste as text!

Michael Hager skrev:
                  > It's not the upgrades... programs like Quark, Illustrator, In Design, etc
                  > will carry formatting in the paste. Running through notepad is a simple
                  > fix. You could probably also do it by using find and replace to strip all
                  > tags out of the copied text. But filtering through notepad is simply faster.
                  >
                  >

--
                  Kim
                  ---------------------------
                  http://www.geekministry.com