4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2010 7:52 PM by carl schooff

Flash Localization

W1ntermute

Hello everyone, I have a flash file that I am working on. It is currently in English and the company that I am editing it for is wondering if there is an easy way to change the language to say Italian or French without going through each frame. Essentially they want to be able to switch out the languages as simply as clicking a button, but I am unsure whether that is possible.

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Flash Localization
          waterdad568 Level 3

I don't see why you couldn't create several translated text objects in addition to the English version and then change those objects with a mouse event.

http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT#en|lt|

• 2. Re: Flash Localization
            W1ntermute Level 1

Well I suppose that could be one solution, but here is the issue. This is a gigabyte flash file, it has 4 main movies, which consist of 7 scenes, within each scene is anywhere from 100 to 300 frames each of which has a text.

The issue isn't that the company doesn't know how to translate the text, they have the text already written in a variety of languages. The issue is that there doesn't appear to be an easy way of substituting one text for the other, without copy and pasting each one by hand.

What they really need is some way to quickly and effectually edit the XML file, but I don't know much of anything about XML.

• 3. Re: Flash Localization
              waterdad568 Level 3

Sometimes there are no easy solutions to complicated problems, you just pick the one that you can accomplish that gets the job done. If the text in the movie are symbols, instances of objects, and are named/labeled then they can be changed to different ones without going through all frames, you would have to know and use the names of those objects however, and then code them to globally change to different instances of other objects (transltd .vs.) with some event/function, all in one block of code on frame one on an action layer, so to speak.

I am far from an expert, but I don't see a magic bullet here if it wasn't set up that way to begin with, like with XML, or the .fla library built and named well enough to identify the names of instances/objects to create the code that will change them.

• 4. Re: Flash Localization
                carl schooff Level 3

from what you are describing there does not seem to be an easy answer for this. with the amount of content (100s of keyframes) you are talking about xml would probably only help if the file had started that way and it would have been a massive undertaking. localization is a real pain.