11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2010 11:25 AM by Jacob Bugge

Proportions not proportional!

Gex14286 Level 1

In the process of setting a custom zoom so I could see the actual size of a product, I realized that when I make a square it is not square! Say I make a square at 3x3 in on the screen it comes out 3" wide by 3 1/8" tall. Whats up with that!? working in CS3, monitor is 1024 x 768 px at 96 ppi.

• 1. Re: Proportions not proportional!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

And? Is that the native resolution of your monitor? Do you have (mis-) tweaked the monitors center, tilt and pin-cushion distortions? Most likely you have one of those wrong and that's why it comes out all crooked... Similarly, if you print it, simple printer tear can elongate items along the transport direction...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Proportions not proportional!
            Gex14286 Level 1

You're gonna have to dumb that one down for me ...  I'm working on a computer that other people have used and some of those things may have been changed but I dont know what they are or how to check it. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Proportions not proportional!
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Gex,

Your monitor seems to have an inbuilt resolution/pixel count of 1600x1152, H/W = 1152/1600 = 0.72. When you set the resolution to 1024 x 768 px, H/W = 768/1024 = 0.75. The difference in proportion is 0.72/0.75 = 0.96 = 24/25 = 3"/3"1/8.

Monitors can only show the right proportions if set in equivalents to the inbuilt resolution.

Therefore, to get out of trouble, you will have to reset the resolution to something with the proportion 0.72, such as 1600x1152, 1200x864, or 800x576, among the possible options. The 1200x864 is closest to the present setting. Hopefully; it is applicable; otherwise you will have to move closer or further away to have the same size.

You may have to live with something not optimum.

• 4. Re: Proportions not proportional!
                Gex14286 Level 1

ah ok. I get what you're saying, but why cant I change my resolution to the inbuilt one? I checked all the settings and none of them come out to .72. Might it have something to do with the dual monitor set up? would it help if I changed the ppi to 72? I dont want everything to appear smaller - I like the size it is now! Thanks!

• 5. Re: Proportions not proportional!

Gex,

If you change to 72 PPI everything will be larger, by 4/3 (= 96/72).

• 6. Re: Proportions not proportional!
                    Gex14286 Level 1

Yes I'm sorry thats what I meant. But do you think it would help with my proportion problem? Thank you!

• 7. Re: Proportions not proportional!

Gex,

But do you think it would help with my proportion problem? Thank you!

No, the only thing that will help is to change the proportions of the resolution.

When the square becomes rectangular, it means there are too few pixels in the elongated direction so they get stretched.

Hence the calculation.

But obviously, it should be possible to set the resolution to match the monitor.

I wonder whether this is actually an issue with the settings governing the monitor, a video card issue or something.

• 8. Re: Proportions not proportional!
                        Gex14286 Level 1

That point was brought up by our tech person so they are going to look into it. In any case its not really necessary (but still annoying) so I might just be stuck with it. Thanks so much for all your help!

• 9. Re: Proportions not proportional!

You are welcome, Gex.

... In any case its not really necessary (but still annoying) so I might just be stuck with it.

I am afraid it will be more than annoying. Just try rotating a rectangle.

• 10. Re: Proportions not proportional!
                            Gex14286 Level 1

FYI .. I know this was posted forever ago and I'm sure that its just been eating at you lol but that computer became corrupted so I was given a new computer and upgraded to CS5 and now everything is proportional so I can set the zoom % to actual size and see exactly what things will look like yaaaaaay!!!!!!!!

• 11. Re: Proportions not proportional!

Gex,

FYI .. I know this was posted forever ago and I'm sure that its just been eating at you

Half a year is but a moment here in the forum. But thank you for letting us know. And congratulations.