6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2011 12:42 PM by BikerScout

Want to save high resolution eps, eps option box grayed-out in medium res?

octdaddy

I do not have the option to toggle between the transparency presets in the EPS OPTIONS box.  Both the Overprints option and the Presets option are grayed-out, with "preserve" visible in Overprints menu and "medium resolution" visible in Presets menu.  I would like to save with the high resoluton preset.  How do I enable the Preset menu?

• 1. Re: Want to save high resolution eps, eps option box grayed-out in medium res?
          Jean-Claude Tremblay User Group Manager

If theses options are grayed, that means your document is opaque and 

does not contain any transparency. The option is only effective when 

transparency is involved in the document.

• 2. Re: Want to save high resolution eps, eps option box grayed-out in medium res?
            octdaddy Level 1

Thank you Jean-Claude for your response.  My source graphic is an .eps of an object with a white background.  In illustrator I can isolate the object and put it in front of any background.  Wouldn't this count as a transparent background?  I am trying to save this isolate image as a high-res eps.  Thanks in advance for your time.

• 3. Re: Want to save high resolution eps, eps option box grayed-out in medium res?
              Harron K. Appleman Level 4

Wouldn't this count as a transparent background?

No. Your source is likely an EPS with a clipping path. (Look at your sub-layers.)

The EPS format does not support true transparency. The clipping path option exists to provide a workaround. The background is opaque.

Why EPS?

• 4. Re: Want to save high resolution eps, eps option box grayed-out in medium res?
                Jean-Claude Tremblay User Group Manager

If you can remove the white background and place it on top of other 

background you got an image without background. (not necessarily 

involving transparency). Save it without the white background and you 

are fine.

Out of curiosity. Why are you saving it to .EPS?

• 5. Re: Want to save high resolution eps, eps option box grayed-out in medium res?
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

To qualify Jean-Claude's query about your motive for saving as eps, you do know that many applications support ai format such as Quark and ID, as well as pdf?

• 6. Re: Want to save high resolution eps, eps option box grayed-out in medium res?
                    BikerScout

I can tell you exactly why one would choose .eps over .ai format. "END PROCESS/PRODUCT"

If you work in the print industry or output to high end machines or processes, you have to use .eps because RIP softwares don't recognize .ai files.

Secondly, .eps format "Encapsulates" all the Post Script data... hence the name. Color profiles are embedded as well as other "Printer" information.

Which is why there is a Photoshop .eps file save option as well. It doesn't necessarily have to mean vector information.

To test this, take a logo (one that has a spot color) and save it as an .ai file and again as an .eps file. "Place" the .ai file into your InDesign document and print using a high end device. Do the same for the .eps... if your equipment is calibrated, the .eps will be printed closer to the correct parameters every time.

As a matter of course when working with and saving files before production, you should get into the habit of always saving your "final" artwork as an .eps and keep a "working" version as an .ai file. This way when you go to compile your final document with InDesign, there is no question whether or not you are dealing with the "correct client approved" logo. Because it's the only one saved as an .eps in your client's folder. To me in my mind, the .ai file isn't the complete or final file. Mainly because of the example explained above. And .ai files aren't shareable between any other programs other than Illustrator. I can share an .eps document with someone using *uggh* Corel Draw.

I've printed every version of every file format, and when it comes to output, the best ones to use are .eps and .tif only. (.pdf is a crapshoot and always come with surprises when dealing with customer supplied files)