12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 9:01 PM by able123

Color Correction Issue - White Shirt turned Blue

SaintHuron Level 1

I'm working with a video where the the white balance was not set properly on the camera from one take to the next. It's a basic talking head video but at the beginning of the video the subject's shirt was white, which it actually was, to the next take where his shirt now appears a light blue in the shadows, midtones, and highlights. The trouble I'm having is bring it back to white, unfortunately there is nothing else in the frame to that is white to balance it off of. I've attached a couple of small screen shots as an example. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Color Correction Issue - White Shirt turned Blue
          shooternz Level 6

Fast Color Corrector has a White Balance Eye Dropper.

Sample the shirt with the dropper and see how it does.

• 2. Re: Color Correction Issue - White Shirt turned Blue
            SaintHuron Level 1

Do you sample the blue shirt or the white shirt? If you mean the white shirt how do I bring that sample into a separate clip?

• 3. Re: Color Correction Issue - White Shirt turned Blue
              shooternz Level 6

Sample the blue shirt.

You could razor the clip (head and tail sections) if you are editing in the timeline or you use In and Out points if you work from the Source monitor.

• 4. Re: Color Correction Issue - White Shirt turned Blue
                Phil Griffith Level 2

perhaps put the clips on one sequence, bring that  sequence into another one and apply the color corrector to the entire selection.

• 5. Re: Color Correction Issue - White Shirt turned Blue
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As Craig states, Fast Color Corrector will work fine. Make sure that you choose an area of the "blue" shirt, that should be fully white.

To apply that Effect w/ all settings to other Clips, just Rt-click on that one, and choose Copy. Then Select all others, and Rt-click, choosing Paste Attributes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Color Correction Issue - White Shirt turned Blue
                    SaintHuron Level 1

I'm not have much luck with Fast Color Corrector. When I select a very blue part of the shirt the entire image hue becomes orange as it is trying to rebalance the clip with the Hue Balance and Angle wheel. The blue shirt balance white, is there a way to do that?

• 7. Re: Color Correction Issue - White Shirt turned Blue
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Instead of choosing a point that is "very blue," choose a point that should be white. Do not use a section that is in deep shadow. You want something near a highlight.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Color Correction Issue - White Shirt turned Blue
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

SaintHuron wrote:

I'm not have much luck with Fast Color Corrector. When I select a very blue part of the shirt the entire image hue becomes orange as it is trying to rebalance the clip with the Hue Balance and Angle wheel. The blue shirt balance white, is there a way to do that?

Often the highlights (or white) sections of a video are offset more than shadows or midtones.   I suggest you use the 3 way color corrector for this and see if that helps.

Below is a starting setting based on the small frame sample you provided.  Notice I adjusted the highlights a Lot and the midtones and shadows much less.

First do this:

Apply the Three-way color correction filter.  But before making any color changes, change the Output from Composit to "Tonal Range".  This will show you how premiere is seprating the highlights, the midtones and the shadows.  (white, grey, black)  This is important to know, as with this filter you can adjust the color correction to only the highlights or only the midtones.    Change the output back to "composit" once you understand where your highlights are (mostly the white shirt)

So; with this filter you can adjust the highlight color correction more than the shadows or midtones; ergo affecting the shirt More than the sport coat.

The settings I made are based on your one frame and my lack of knowledge of what color the sport coat really is.   But I think you will get the idea.   The three way filter gives you a lot more flexability to make selective changes based on tone.

3-way-color.jpg

• 9. Re: Color Correction Issue - White Shirt turned Blue
                          SaintHuron Level 1

This is a big help and I think the answer I've been looking for thank you very much.

• 10. Re: Color Correction Issue - White Shirt turned Blue
                            creazer Level 1

I also would use the three way color corrector and fast color corrector to adjust the hue.

If you want some thing to go off, choose 'reference monitor' in the window menu, so you can see the correct color while adjusting the one that needs changing. That way you can see if it's getting to what you want. Hope that helps

• 11. Re: Color Correction Issue - White Shirt turned Blue
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The Split Screen is a good tip. Just be sure to turn that OFF, prior to Export, or you will likely end up with a correction to half of the Frame, and not with the other. This has bitten others in the past.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Color Correction Issue - White Shirt turned Blue
                                Level 4

Hi

Wow, that color correction stuff is fantastic...I never looked at those effects before..

I took your two sample png files and stuck them on a timeline in CS3, and by undocking / moving the source panel was able to see the good sample out of the way of the effect panel, while working on the bad sample with filters....which showed in both project monitor and reference monitor...

I had the best luck with the 'COLOR BALANCE' filter...which was easy...sliding the RGB controls to match the colors.

I was kinda looking for some kind of filter like in photography...like if you're shooting 32k stock and you shoot outdoors, stuff gets blu-ish...and that's a little like what your bad sample looked like to me...so ALL the colors would need to have that slightly red filter ( 1/4 - 1/2 85a ??? I forget )...to make all the colors right...

The color balance filter worked pretty good on the sample...to do that...maybe worth checking

Rod

Good luck