5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 5:44 AM by Steve Grisetti

Crashing when trying to generate menu

makettle123

I am using premiere elements 4.  I create slideshows in another program and bring into PE to create chapters and menu.  I just imported a MPEG and have no problems until I go to generate the menu.  It crashes everytime, the minute I click on the menu tab.  Any ideas on what the problem may be.  I have never had any problems with this before.

My second question is this.  When importing a widescreen format video, the pictures are always cut off from the original.  I use the same setting from the export to importing into premiere.  But premiere seems to resize them.  Could someone please inform me on how to avoid this?

I appreciate any help with these problems.  I have a show to complete and really need to get this figured out.

Thanks so much for any help!

• 1. Re: Crashing when trying to generate menu
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Instead of Exporting from the other SlideShow program as MPEG, why not Export as DV-AVI Type II, and Import that. When you go to DVD-Video, with the MPEG, you will incur another MPEG compression to the DVD-Video's MPEG-2 format. That is like a FAX of a FAX.

Going with that workflow might well get around the crashing too.

Now, if your Imported material is being cut up, it is likely that:

A.) your Project Preset does not match 100%, Frame Size, PAR, etc., your Imported footage - it should

B.) you then have Scale to Frame checked

If you go with the solution in A.), the B.) will not matter.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Welcome to the forum!

• 2. Re: Crashing when trying to generate menu
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm with Hunt. Your problems seem to come from the fact that you're creating your slideshow in another program and then exporting them as MPEGs.

What program are you creating your slideshow in? Wouldn't it make more sense to create your slideshow in Premiere Elements or even Photoshop Elements?

• 3. Re: Crashing when trying to generate menu
              makettle123 Level 1

Thank you Hunt and Steve for your quick responses.  I believe in the past I have tried AVI but there was distortion, but if I remember correctly that was on the other end. I will give that a try again.  I have made several DVD's with MPEG files, but I've never had a problem with crashing like this.  I've tried shows that I have already finished and it is still crashing.  As far as the slideshow software, I am using ProShow and I'm using this rather than Premiere because I am working with photos and not video files and it has more to offer in that aspect.  Premiere was included in the package when I purchased Elements and I started using it for the capability of adding scene selection and the menus.

Thanks again for any help.

• 4. Re: Crashing when trying to generate menu
                the_wine_snob Level 9

MPEG-2 is the final Transcode for DVD-Video, but it does not work well as an intermediate step. It is heavily compressed, and is also GOP. For some background on GOP, this ARTICLE will give you some background. I hold off bringing anything MPEG into the workflow, until it is absolutely needed. It works fine for that final step, but creates all sorts of problems, quality being a big one, if used before that final Transcode.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Crashing when trying to generate menu
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

One other solution: If your slideshow is essentially finished and you just want to create a DVD from it, you may want to consider Sony's DVD Architect Studio -- $39.95 if you download it from their site.

DVD Architect is a dedicated DVD authoring system. It works very efficiently, especially with MPEGs as a source, and it's a much more powerful DVD creation app.

No point in involving Premiere Elements if you're only going to use it to generate your DVD.