19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2010 9:04 AM by Shab3d

INVERT FOOTAGE RIGHT SIDE UP?

Shab3d Level 1

I have some video footage taken with a camcorder held upside down. How can I invert the clip so it shows correctly, right side up? I am using Premiere Pro CS4

Thank you.

• 1. Re: INVERT FOOTAGE RIGHT SIDE UP?
          shooternz Level 6

Use the 'Motion > Rotation" Control in the FX Window

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: INVERT FOOTAGE RIGHT SIDE UP?
            Shab3d Level 1

Will this invert the whole clip?

• 3. Re: INVERT FOOTAGE RIGHT SIDE UP?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Will this invert the whole clip?

Yes. If parts of the Clip do not need this treatment, use the Razor Tool. If later parts DO need the treatment, just go back to the first Rotated Clips, Rt-click and choose Copy, then go to the later Clips in need, and Rt-click, choosing Paste Attributes - you can lasso or Select several later Clips to Apply Attributes.

Hunt

• 4. Re: INVERT FOOTAGE RIGHT SIDE UP?
                Shab3d Level 1

That is perfect and it did the job. It is even better than applying

Transform>Vertical Flip, because I needed to apply a second effect to it,

the Horizontal Flip, since the vertical flip creates a mirror image. So your

method solved my problem.

If you are interested as to why I need to do this - I started experimenting

shooting 3D footage with a pair of point-and-shoot cameras, but in a rig

like this, one camera needs to be placed upside down so as to get the lenses

as close as possible. Ideally they should be about 2.5" or normal human eye

separation.

But I still have to cross many bridges before I can compete with James

Cameron...

Thanks,

Shab

www.gravitram.com

• 5. Re: INVERT FOOTAGE RIGHT SIDE UP?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thanks for reporting!

I just figured that it was a camera mounting issue. At least you did not have to mount them sideways. That can be corrected too, but then one has to handle the aspect ratio being totally off, and that gets a tad sticky, as one usually ends up Scaling and Cropping, and quality will suffer.

BTW - how did the 3D experiment pan out?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: INVERT FOOTAGE RIGHT SIDE UP?
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

This topic reminds me of a technique some use for filming green screen shots.   The more pixels at the edge of a green screen matte the better,.  This is why closeups often look better than wide shots.  On a really wide shot you have many fewer pixels at the edge of the matte.  So, some folk film standing shots with the camera mounted sideways (90 degrees)   In todays widescreen format you can get significantly more pixels at the matte edge if you film a standing shot sideways as opposed to landscape.  Makes the matte edge a little cleaner in the end; and its trivial to rotate it 90 degrees in post.

• 7. Re: INVERT FOOTAGE RIGHT SIDE UP?
                      Shab3d Level 1

The 3D experiment is still an ongoing project, it will take probably the

rest of my life

I have been doing still stereo photography for many years and I am pretty

good at it, but doing 3D video involves quite a bit more hardware and

patience to say the least. Although Fuji is the first maker to have a "real"

3D camera, most of us use two side-by-side digital still cameras, which must

be synchronized, either internally or externally, so when you shoot moving

objects, you will end up with the same instance of the still picture. That

adds a significant amount of money to the rig, but it's doable. When it

comes to video, if you shoot with the same synchronized rig you end up with

two clips, and usually the left is upside down. If you shoot with two

camcorders, you end up with both clips in the correct orientation.

That is only one part of the challenge in 3D video, the other challenge is

editing. Unlike editing a single clip, for 3D video you must edit both clips

at the same time and apply the same editing corrections equally to both.

When using two camcorders, although if they are synchronized externally by a

device called a LANC controller, they may still be one frame off, it is

possible in Premiere to move one clip on one video track, so you can match

the clapboard sound spike. Most of this is theory for me as my experience

with video editing is very limited. I am thankful that Premiere CS4 finally

allows one to lock two clips for some of the editing procedure, but not for

everything, so that will make life easier.

I am retired and do all this for fun, so I must push myself as I don't have

any real deadlines or unlimited amount of self discipline...

Well, you asked...sorry for the long reply and thank you again. I hope you

get some credit points from Adobe for the correct answer, or do I have to do

something so that you do?

Shab

shablevy@comcast.net

www.gravitram.com

• 8. Re: INVERT FOOTAGE RIGHT SIDE UP?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting technique. I see where you (and they) are coming from on this. Would never have thought to do it this way.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 9. Re: INVERT FOOTAGE RIGHT SIDE UP?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Shab,

I appreciate the reply.

Great luck on your Project and most of all - ENJOY!

Hunt

• 10. Re: INVERT FOOTAGE RIGHT SIDE UP?
                            Shab3d Level 1

Hunt,

Thank you.

Shab

• 11. Re: INVERT FOOTAGE RIGHT SIDE UP?
                              Powered by Design Level 4

You can nest those 2 clips together then cut them up like they are one clip.

Also make sure when you line up the clapboard you use the Audio timeline so that there is 48000 frames per second.

It makes getting the timing more close since at 30 fps it is sometimes off by fractions of a second.

Have fun:   GLenn

• 12. Re: INVERT FOOTAGE RIGHT SIDE UP?
                                Shab3d Level 1

Thank you Glenn.

I assume that when I am done and "unnest" the clips, they will separate as

two independent clips - correct?

Shab

• 13. Re: INVERT FOOTAGE RIGHT SIDE UP?