4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2010 7:38 PM by RKeller9

Need help animating ants into my shots....!

dominichicks1
      Hi - unusual request here - I'm relatively new to after effects, but a new project I'm working on requires some quite advanced effects on AE, which I'm unprepared for.

I'm shooting a narrative short in which the characters (and their surroundings) are infested with ants.

Something a little like this.... (except my shots wont be rotoscoped)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT4ObtDs0yc

The ants can look like drawings (as in the clips above) or look realistic - at this point, both could work. Whichever is easier and looks better.

Any ideas? Or do I have to start pouring creepy crawlies on my actors!
      Thanks,

Dom

• 1. Re: Need help animating ants into my shots....!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Any ideas? Or do I have to start pouring creepy crawlies on my actors!

Would probably be easier... Such seemingly simple things are usually the hardest ones to achieve. You know, lots of tracking, manual matchmoving, 3D animation, keying, masking. For simple scenes of course particle systems or things like text on path could work, but it really comes down to these shots being mostly static/ locked off. without knowing the exaxct layout of the shots, it is hard to give concrete advise, but you should be prepared to spend quite a bit of time on post production, in fact probably more than on anything else... To cut down on that, try to find practical effects - from a distance, dark beads rolling on a floor can look just like ants as can those same beads being stitched onto clothing or being dragged around the scene with invisible yarn. For covering up your actors, those beads could be "glued" to them and could then even be wiped away... A few things you can do that way, as long as you don't get too much in the details of the shot.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need help animating ants into my shots....!
            dominichicks1 Level 1

Good advice I think.

Thanks,

Dom

• 3. Re: Need help animating ants into my shots....!
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Back in the olden days, Brian's classic demo of Foam's capabilities included a lopping movie of an ant walking. It was perhaps the creepiest demo he eve did but it was easy and convincing.

bogiesan

• 4. Re: Need help animating ants into my shots....!
                RKeller9

Buy Halloween Party Rubber ants!

They are right, animating them by computer will look completely fake,

unless you take a LOT of time and detail to do it precisely

of course, if it's comedy, "fake" might be funny