8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 5:13 AM by LensView

Can ACR recognize camera raw settings?

Donneash

Trying to determine if ACR can recognize the camera settings (Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness, etc.) profiles that are set in camera.  Does anyone know?

Using CS4 // ACR 5.5

.CR2 (Canon Raw)

• 1. Re: Can ACR recognize camera raw settings?
          Donneash Level 1

Same question in Bridge CS4...

• 2. Re: Can ACR recognize camera raw settings?
            MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

No. Just the white balance.

Eric

• 3. Re: Can ACR recognize camera raw settings?
              Donneash Level 1

Are there any plans to fix this?  Seems strange that ACR and Bridge don't recognize the recipee's applied before the photo is taken...

• 4. Re: Can ACR recognize camera raw settings?
                Jeff Schewe Level 5

Donneash wrote:

Are there any plans to fix this?  Seems strange that ACR and Bridge don't recognize the recipee's applied before the photo is taken...

Considering that Camera Raw's processing engine is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from any camera manufacturer's processing SDK, you shouldn't be surprised...

The way in which cameras set tags for later processing in their software is completely dependent on the camera makers processing software. The camera makers went down the road of proprietary file formats and raw processing.

As a result, Adobe (and all the other 3rd party developers) had to create their own processing routines. Because of this, no two raw processing engines'  renderings are ever the same (with the exception of Camera Raw and Lightroom who share the same processing pipeline).

Camera raw has done a remarkable job of decoding the white balance and providing DNG profiles to simulate various camera looks, but it's highly unlikely that it would be worth Adobe's time to bother replicating each and every camera control. You might ask the camera makers to open up their process or adopt some industry standards...(yeah, not likely :~)

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Can ACR recognize camera raw settings?
                  Dennis 1111 Level 2

You can mitigate the lack of those in-camera settings quite a bit by setting up and using your own presets in ACR.  The presets can then be applied to individual pics or to multiple pics.  You can even do this in Bridge with a right-click and "Develop Settings".

Personally, fiddling with those in-camera settings all the time would drive me nuts unless I absolutely had to be creating in-camera Jpegs that required them.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can ACR recognize camera raw settings?
                    Donneash Level 1

This was very helpful and I appreciate your input, I did not realize that it was that difficult to handle each manufactures RAW coding.

Best.

Donne.

• 7. Re: Can ACR recognize camera raw settings?
                      Donneash Level 1

This is what I was afraid of, I like to shoot what I want the end product to look like so that I am thinking

about the way the lighting is visually with the settings of the end image

.  A little extra work, but I have found that it pays off.  [example]

If I am going for B&W I shoot in B&W.

Best.

Donne.

• 8. Re: Can ACR recognize camera raw settings?
                        LensView Level 1

Just curious: If you want the same output from the raw converter as from in-camera jpegs, why do you shoot raw?

And I wouldn't shoot B&W in-camera. The cameras' conversion is never even a distant match to a good "manual" conversion in ACR, Photoshop or many other applications.