20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2010 11:18 PM by Kevin j uk

DVD 5% & stops PE8

Kevin j uk Level 1

Hi after some time I got to the point of burning my fist project, It goes to the burning screen and shows 5% but goes no further the computer does not crash it just sits there, I have left it on for hours it completes the compiling no problem along as this done to the second hard drive!

I am running XP home, dual core 3.4g, 2g of ram, 1g ATI video, two 160g Hard drives just for video editing,

Any pointer please!

• 1. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder did your video come from and how did you get it into your computer, Kevin?

• 2. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
            Kevin j uk Level 1

Of hand I'm not sure what module it

is, but it is a Panasonic which records to DV tape, I played it back via the camcorder through a ieee 1394 cable and PCI card.

• 3. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8

Can you burn to a folder on your hard drive rather than directly to a DVD?

Here are some other things to try.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=0

• 4. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                Kevin j uk Level 1

Thanks Steve

I will try burning to a folder later when I get home, Not sure what this proves I thought PE8 could burn projects to DVD.

I must state that I tryed this before puting on nero with the same result. It is rendering ok and comes out at size of 1.8 gig, it just dosen't burn. as for hard drive space Im running two 160 gig hard drives, one for windows and PE8 and the other for the scratch disk, never disk have any other program on them. when it failed to burn I tryed installing nero but it was just the same 5% burnig screen but it did not durn any infromation to the disk!

Well what fun

• 5. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When doing an editing, or authoring session, I use the tips in this ARTICLE. There are often many programs, and Processes, that can sap resources.

Also, what brand of blank media are you using? This ARTICLE will give you some tips for choosing the best media. Usually, bad blank media will yield SenseCode errors, or one will get playability issues with the burned disc. Sometimes, however, burning will just hang.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                    Kevin j uk Level 1

Hi I am using Sony media will look at the Artical, thanks

• 7. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the Sony media is supposed to be quite good. I have never used it, but many do sing its praises. With blank media, however, one does not know what's going on. TDK was once a respected brand. At a point, they adopted the Memorex business model - buy the very cheapest media for anyone, and then just add the Memorex logo to it. In a spindle of 100, one might have media from 3-4 different mfgrs.

Above, Steve mentioned the free burning utility, ImgBurn. One of the neat features in it is the ability to determine who the actual mfgr. of a disc is. I believe that Nero has a utility built in, that can do the same thing. Might be interesting to see if Sony is using others' media, under their name. Until people start having issues with Sony media, I'll still keep it in the "good" category.

Along the way, look into the firmware date on your burner. Check the mfgr's Web site and see if there is a newer version. If so, download and install (to "flash" the burner's ROM chip). The firmware should be checked about every six mos. to one year, and sooner if one has any sort of burn problem. Again, bad/old firmware often yields one of those SenseCode errors, but not always.

The lack of an error message, makes it more difficult to track down the issue.

Just out of curiosity, take a look at this ARTICLE. I trot it out, when one has a program/system hang or crash. Still, there could be something in Event Viewer, in the form of a warning message, or error message, that will point us to a culprit. Do follow any links, should there be a trail of errors, or warnings. Just in case.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                        Seahorse Pools

I doubt it is your media. I have run in to the same issues with TDK and Memorex. I have yet to find a solution since I have started my project.

I am running a Windows XP Pro System

Dual Core Procesor

4 GB RAM

1 GB Ati Video Card

500 GB Hard Drive

Please let me know if you find a solution, it would be great.

Thanks, Nick

• 9. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8

As I said a couple posts back, you will need to break the process down to its individual steps if you want to troubleshoot this problem.

• 10. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve's comments are great ones.

There are three steps in the creation of a DVD-Video, after the editing and authoring are done:

1.) the media is Transcoded to MPEG-2

2.) the layout of the DVD-Video is created (the MPEG-2's, the Menus and the navigation are all packaged into VOB's, the IFO and BUP files are written, and the VIDEO_TS folder is created, and then the necessary files are put inside that folder)

3.) these files are all copied to the buffer and then the physical burn is initiated and completed

By breaking things down to their elemental state, it is usually easier to track down exactly where the problem is being introduced. The progress screen in PrE (and most other authoring apps.) is just an approximation, at best. Sometimes, it will give one something to go on, but too often, it's either ahead of, or behind, the actual processes going on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8

By the way, that second hard drive of yours -- it is formatted NTFS, right? FAT32 drives (as they come formatted from the factory) have a file size limit that can choke a lot of video processes, including transcoding.

That your problems are occurring so early in the process seems to indicate that your problem is either related to a problem with your source video or with a space, fragmentation or format problem on your editing hard drive.

But your report on the results for the troubleshooting steps we linked you to should tell us if that is the case.

• 12. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                                Schlista3

I had that issue with one of the dvd templates.  I think it was the newpaper looking one.  Try changing the dvd template and see what happens.

• 13. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                                  Kevin j uk Level 1

Hi Im not using any templates,Im taking the edited video and going to burn DVD only.

• 14. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                                    Kevin j uk Level 1

Hi Thanks for all the help, I formated both hard drives myself and yes they are NTFS.

Should have go at more editing later in the week, will post how it goes!

Thanks to all

• 15. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Just for clarification, you have the Disc set to AutoPlay, with no navigation, and no Menu Sets. Is this correct?

Thanks for reporting the NTFS formatting. That can become very important with DVD creation. You have that handled. BTW - besides adding the HDD, formatting it NTFS, did you also set it up in the BIOS, via Setup? The lack of this one setting has gotten in the way for others. Besides the OS, your BIOS also need to be completely informed of the new HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                                        Kevin j uk Level 1

Not sure if you mean Auto play in windows or in

PE8 if PE8 then I don't know as I have not come across this yet! And that's right I have no menus set was trying to start easy. If your talking about the Bios of the motherboard then I can't see any options to change in Bios?

I have set this up on my friends laptop not really finking it would work, due to single hard drive, etc. This would test bit rate and conflicts I copied the files over so I was using the same files . Well you gest it it worked!!

Next thing is to try the DVD recourder for a branded one.

Thanks

• 17. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          If your talking about the Bios of the motherboard then I can't see any options to change in Bios?

Yes, I am talking about the ROM BIOS on the MoBo. When one boots the computer, there is often a POST (Power On Self Test) screen that comes up, while things like RAM, etc., are being tested. At the time of boot-up, the MoBo BIOS will allow you to enter Setup for the BIOS. This is often the Del key, but does change depending on the exact BIOS type. Too many computer mfgrs. set the POST to NOT display. To me, this is a bad thing, as the user does not get to see the results of the testing, but also has to be mighty quick on pressing the Del key, if that is even the one that is necessary, for Setup. Might want to check your computer's manual, if you do not get a POST display, when you turn it on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                                            Kevin j uk Level 1

Hi

well Im with you now, post boot screen show's all is well there, I have run some testing software to on my computer and they showed no problems.

• 19. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                                              Kevin j uk Level 1

Some small joy!

I placed on order a New DVD burner a Pioneer 22x ATA drive from PC World ( one fitted optica ATA ), However when I got it was a Parallel drive but as I have a connection on my mother board I thought that it was worth a try and blow me down it burnt the project. The program still crashed saying it was still compiling and did not go to the burning menu, but at you guessed it 96% compiling it chucked the disk out project and all.

Could the issues have some think to do with the way ATA's control the information between each other, or ever the software not waiting until the bus is clear?

Well I hope Adobe read these forums as I have had nothing back from them! I do do hope they fix the problems as the final results I'm well pleased with, but getting there Well!

• 20. Re: DVD 5% & stops PE8
                                                Kevin j uk Level 1

Hi

I thought I would change my optica DVD  ATA drive for a branded one so ordered a Pioneer 22X from PC world, what came was an IDE one, as I have IDE as well thought I would give it a go. It burnt the project but the software still crashed can't have all!

I think this may have something to do with how the information is handled by the bus or software not waiting for the bus to clear. However this way out of my death and am just using logic.

Hope this help

Kevin James

>>> Seahorse Pools <forums@adobe.com> 26/01/2010 16:23 >>>

I doubt it is your media. I have run in to the same issues with TDK and Memorex. I have yet to find a solution since I have started my project.

I am running a Windows XP Pro System

Dual Core Procesor

4 GB RAM

1 GB Ati Video Card

500 GB Hard Drive

Please let me know if you find a solution, it would be great.

Thanks, Nick