6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2007 11:27 AM by Newsgroup_User

Browser Viewing  / Testing?

Auctionmasterz
      I must be mad , I'm a newbe but have some background .... great software ... problem I can make all the pages fine ,,,test them all indivigully they all show up 100% by themself in the browser ... but when I link the pages from the index page and then test the links the browser linked page show up with broken links for most of the items .... what and i doing wrong in the linking or what am i doing wrong with the linked page ?????
        • 1. Re: Browser Viewing  / Testing?
          Level 7
          Links off of a temp Preview in Browser page usually don't work.

Do the links work on the real site?

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: Browser Viewing  / Testing?
            Level 1
            Show us a link to your web page. I can't possibly visualize the nature of your problem without actually seeing your web page, and we can take a look at html source inside that web page. Without seeing the live web page, hard to say.

Perhaps it is something that you have coded in a wrong way or wrong approach that gotten all link messed up. But we need to "see" the source of html by itself per se.
            • 3. Re: Browser Viewing  / Testing?
              Level 7
              This is usually the symptom of using ROOT relative links in your page.

See - if you have a) your PREFERENCES set to use temp files on preview, and
              b) you have used ROOT relative links, here is what happens -

Your page has a link like this -

<a href="/whatever.html"....

When you preview this, DW changes that link in the temp file so that it
              looks like this -

<a href="whatever.html"... (depending on where that file actually is located
              in the site)

AND the link works from your previewed browser view. BUT, when you click on
              it to bring up "whatever.html", and that page contains a link that also
              looks like this - <a href="/whatever2.html", but now DW's smoke and mirrors
              presto-changeo modification is out of the picture and the browser sees that
              leading slash as referring to the root of the hard drive, not the root of
              the site (the browser has no idea where the root of the site is).

So, as Alan says, it is often not a good idea to 'click through' your pages
              like this UNLESS you really understand how this works.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
              ==================

"Auctionmasterz" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fd2fkg$ok7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I must be mad , I'm a newbe but have some background .... great software
              >...
              > problem I can make all the pages fine ,,,test them all indivigully they
              > all
              > show up 100% by themself in the browser ... but when I link the pages from
              > the
              > index page and then test the links the browser linked page show up with
              > broken
              > links for most of the items .... what and i doing wrong in the linking or
              > what
              > am i doing wrong with the linked page ?????
              >

• 4. Re: Browser Viewing  / Testing?
                Auctionmasterz Level 1
                the link was OK to the last reply ... to clarify the link works in the browser and brings me to the linked page I wanted OK , but most most of the items show up as dead links on that page ... I can view them perfectly if I view that page by itself ... just threw the linked everythings lost .... I would try it online any suggestions of some free servers space so I can test it on I don't want to mess around with mine until I know the htmls working OK .... would be nice to try it online without messing up my server
                • 5. Re: Browser Viewing  / Testing?
                  Level 7
                  Make a Test folder on your server. Put your html pages into the test folder
                  for now. Later, when everything is working as it should, move pages to your
                  root folder and delete the test folder.

--Nancy O.
                  Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                  www.alt-web.com

"Auctionmasterz" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:fd62k3$k2j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > the link was OK to the last reply ... to clarify the link works in the
                  browser
                  > and brings me to the linked page I wanted OK , but most most of the items
                  show
                  > up as dead links on that page ... I can view them perfectly if I view that
                  page
                  > by itself ... just threw the linked everythings lost .... I would try it
                  > any suggestions of some free servers space so I can test it on I don't
                  want to
                  > mess around with mine until I know the htmls working OK .... would be nice
                  to
                  > try it online without messing up my server
                  >

• 6. Re: Browser Viewing  / Testing?
                    Level 7

> to clarify the link works in the browser
                    > and brings me to the linked page I wanted OK , but most most of the items show
                    > up as dead links on that page ..

Sorry but you aren't answering the questions that have been asked.

My guess is that you are using site root relative paths when making links.
                    Do the paths start with a leading /slash ?

When you do an F12 Preview in Browser, if you have enabled using Temp pages
                    for preview, dw builds a temp page with document relative paths so things in
                    THAT FIRST F12 preview page work.

When you click on a link in that temp F12 Preview- you are then looking at
                    the next page as it really is on your hard drive- with the site root
                    relative paths intact. Since your hard drive isn't a server and site root
                    relative doesn't mean anything, the pages are probably missing images and
                    the links probably don't work.

The fix:
                    One: ignore it. Understand that when clicking a link on a local preview you
                    are then looking at a page that has wrong paths for local viewing.

Two: Don't use site root relative paths. Convert the existing site root
                    relative paths to document relative. Only use document relative paths in
                    future. Then you can view the local files without problems following links
                    in them to other local documents.

If you want to do the latter- suggest the free Relativity Extension.
                    http://e7x.com/dw/

--
                    Alan
                    Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/