8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 7:28 AM by bogiesan-gyyClL

Paintball Splatter

Lost In My Mind Level 1

Doing an intro for a paintball facility, and was wondering if anyone had any resources they could direct me to? I would like to end the intro with 'paintballs' hitting and splatting on screen, and maybe even dripping afterwards. Tried F1, seached forum, google, etc. Most use pre-made (bought) templates which I don't have. Lots of stuff on ink splatter and blood splatter (gross), but not quite what I need. Any help would be appreciated. Cin

• 1. Re: Paintball Splatter
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If I couldn't find stock footage to my liking, I would get out my camera, a piece of plexiglass, and a paintball gun, and do this with practical effects. It would probably take less time than creating something from scratch, and it would certainly be more fun. Since you're doing an intro for a paintball facility, I'd bet that you have easy access to the gear.

• 2. Re: Paintball Splatter
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, the most obvious solution would be to borrow one of their air guns and film some nice shots yourself. Getting the exact look right otherwise might prove difficult. The slightly gooey nature of the color is hard to obtain with conventional ink and paint drip techniques or stock footage. Short of that i can't think of much. CC Mercury might be able to produce some of the dripping stuff, but cool spalts are really best done as practical effects. If you have little kids near you, you might also consider using their finger paint. It has a similar consistency and could be blown out of straws for instance...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Paintball Splatter
              Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thank you Todd and Mylenium for your helpful answers. Todd, I think I will probably do that. It looked like I would have plenty of kids that would love to shoot at me!

:O  It's about 45 minutes from where I live, but probably worth the drive. I was worried about getting that gooo on my equipment, but I liked your idea about the plexiglass. Mylenium, the CC Mercury effect produces some neat effects that I can see using, and I also liked the suggesion with the paint and straw. I can kind of put my own library together of my own effects. Thank you both again. Cin

PS. If you don't ever hear from me again, you'll know the kid was a bad shot!!!   :<

• 4. Re: Paintball Splatter
                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As another option, plenty of paint splats in Andrew Kramer's "Riot Gear" stock footage set:

http://www.videocopilot.net/products/riotgear/

And at 49 bucks, probably cheaper than a bag of paintballs, these days!

There's plenty on istockphoto too:

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-video-2329805-ink-splat-series-2-hd.php

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Paintball Splatter
                  bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

If you could do a slow motion analysis of a pantball hit on a piece of glass. you'd see there are only three frames of actlivity.

1. The frame is empty

2. The splat begins

3. The splat is finished.

4 and onward: The drips move as gravity takes over.

I'm usggesting it's not that hard to animate because there are only two frames where anything happens. The idea that you see the ball approach, strike, collapse, break, and spread is not accurate. It's instantaneous as far as video is concerned and anything more complicated than two or three frames (besides the dripping) is unnecessary if all you need to do is convey the illusion. That's what effects are all about, illusion; implying something has happened.

If a sequence of fake splats includes a few closeups of actual paintball impacts, the illusion can be faultless.

bogiesan

• 6. Re: Paintball Splatter
                    Lost In My Mind Level 1

Lets see, there is 'fail', 'major fail', and oh yeah..........Epic Fail!!! I think that the little skipper who volunteered for this project came from the School of Paintball for the Visually Impaired! After he shot me........TWICE (and for those that might ask 'did it hurt?' I would ansewer with another question, 'Is a frogs butt water tight?!) Anyway, when the little sharp shooter finally hit it, it was just as bogiesan called it. It was a major impact that spread across the entire screen faster than you could say 'Holy....!' There just is flat nothing to see . Thank you Andrew for your help and link. That is the best price I have seen for that sort of stuff, and if you can't trust Andrew Kramer, who can you?? I hope to buy it after the first of the month and see if it helps. In the mean time, I'm trying what Mylenium and bogiesan suggested, and am trying to create it with AE. Using CC Mercury as suggested, I have some really nice results so far, with one problem. I create a sphere (the paintball) with CC Sphere, but when I use 'shatter' it won't shatter beyond the diameter of the sphere, not matter what I set the radius to :O. Thanks again for everyones help. Cin

• 7. Re: Paintball Splatter
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

but when I use 'shatter' it won't shatter beyond the diameter of the sphere,

Because there is nothing to shatter! The force field actually expands correctly, but you simply don't see it because there are no visible pixels. To circumvent that, you'd have to pre-compose and add some more content. Still, I'm wondering, does not the cluster of fragments expand based on the force? With regards to simulating the fluid, you may have some luck also with tools like CC Vector Blur or RevisionFX' Reel Smart Motion Blur to create any kind of smeary trails. Also do not forget about Mesh Warp and Liquify. Assuming you have your basic setup working, those can also be used to bulge and expand the little globs...

Mylenium

• 8. Re: Paintball Splatter
                        bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

but when I use 'shatter' it won't shatter beyond the diameter of the sphere,

Yar. Shatter is a far more complex layer-based effect, just start twirling down those triangles. But you can't really use CC Sphere to create paintballs because they're still flat.
                        For even more mind-numbing possibilities, try using Spheres as the particles in CC Particle World. Then open up the Options for CC Particle World. You will see that you can change how particles react to the floor. You can make them stick to it without bouncing. You can move the effect's camera to see the particle emitter shooting at the floor which has become a wall.
                        bogiesan