3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2007 5:55 PM by Newsgroup_User

Issue exporting slices from different pages

Kathleen13 Level 1
      I'm an experienced Fireworks user, and love the new pages function, but have found what I consider to be a bug.

I have about 70 graphics that I need to have trimmed in one direction but not the other. Since I can't do this with layers (Adobe should REALLY consider adding this as a feature for exporting by layers, imo - currently exporting by layer only allows trimming in both directions or no trim) I'm using pages - each page has a single layer with multiple objects, and a single slice. This is great, except for one giant bug: when I try to export "images only" + "selected slices only" and deselect "this page only", it uses the page name for the exported graphic, not the slice name. If I export all the pages, the slice names are used. This is a big issue for us, since exporting by layers or exporting slices using pages is a HUGE help in repetitive image production (but only when it works right).
        • 1. Re: Issue exporting slices from different pages
          Level 7
          Hi Kathleen:

I'm a little confused by what you're saying:

>>when I try to export "images only" + "selected slices only" and
          deselect "this page only", it uses the page name for the exported
          graphic, not the slice name. If I export all the pages, the slice names
          are used. <<

If you deselect "this page only," you ARE exporting all pages. Are you
          naming your slices on each page, or is this a master page web slice, or
          is it a shared layer web slice. Or are you referring to exporting each
          page individually?

If you can post a link to a file example that would also help.

I've documented some of the issues about slicing in an article, and I
          want to make sure I didn't miss any.

Thanks!

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

Kathleen13 wrote:
          > I'm an experienced Fireworks user, and love the new pages function, but have
          > found what I consider to be a bug.
          >
          > I have about 70 graphics that I need to have trimmed in one direction but not
          > the other. Since I can't do this with layers (Adobe should REALLY consider
          > adding this as a feature for exporting by layers, imo - currently exporting by
          > layer only allows trimming in both directions or no trim) I'm using pages -
          > each page has a single layer with multiple objects, and a single slice. This is
          > great, except for one giant bug: when I try to export "images only" + "selected
          > slices only" and deselect "this page only", it uses the page name for the
          > exported graphic, not the slice name. If I export all the pages, the slice
          > names are used. This is a big issue for us, since exporting by layers or
          > exporting slices using pages is a HUGE help in repetitive image production (but
          > only when it works right).
          >
          • 2. Re: Issue exporting slices from different pages
            Kathleen13 Level 1
            There are 70 pages with one slice per page. Each slice is uniquely named, according to a naming convention. It is not a shared layer slice or a master page slice.

1. I want all the slices on about half of the pages to print, and the output graphics should be named for the slices.
            2. I turned off the slices on the pages where I don't want the slice to export
            3. I am exporting "images only", using slices, with "this page only" deselected and "selected slices only" turned on (although, I tried it with that turned off and saw no difference in the result).

In previous versions of Fireworks, only the slices that are turned on will export, so it follows that should still be the case, regardless of what page they're on. And that is the case: only the slices that are turned on export, but instead of being named for the slice, they're named for the page. If the app were exporting the pages, the entire page area should export, but it doesn't. Also, export pages to files is a different command in the drop menu on export, so exporting slices should not export pages, any way you look at it.

Lastly, the slices export with the slice names if I turn them all on, but if any slices are turned off, the slices export with the page names. I can't imagine that is intended behavior because it's not logical or helpful, and I can't imagine that it would be considered expected behavior by a user.

I cannot send the files I am working on, for legal reasons, but I will create files that require the same process. It will take me a couple of days as I am in crunch mode on this project.
            • 3. Re: Issue exporting slices from different pages
              Level 7
              Kathleen13 wrote:
              > There are 70 pages with one slice per page. Each slice is uniquely named,
              > according to a naming convention. It is not a shared layer slice or a master
              > page slice.
              >
              > 1. I want all the slices on about half of the pages to print, and the output
              > graphics should be named for the slices.
              > 2. I turned off the slices on the pages where I don't want the slice to export
              > 3. I am exporting "images only", using slices, with "this page only"
              > deselected and "selected slices only" turned on (although, I tried it with that
              > turned off and saw no difference in the result).
              >
              > In previous versions of Fireworks, only the slices that are turned on will
              > export, so it follows that should still be the case, regardless of what page
              > they're on. And that is the case: only the slices that are turned on export,
              > but instead of being named for the slice, they're named for the page. If the
              > app were exporting the pages, the entire page area should export, but it
              > doesn't. Also, export pages to files is a different command in the drop menu on
              > export, so exporting slices should not export pages, any way you look at it.
              >
              > Lastly, the slices export with the slice names if I turn them all on, but if
              > any slices are turned off, the slices export with the page names. I can't
              > imagine that is intended behavior because it's not logical or helpful, and I
              > can't imagine that it would be considered expected behavior by a user.
              >
              > I cannot send the files I am working on, for legal reasons, but I will create
              > files that require the same process. It will take me a couple of days as I am
              > in crunch mode on this project.
              >

Thanks Kathleen. This is great detailed info. I look forward to seeing
              your example. Hopefully we can figure something out. :-)

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver