5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2010 8:57 AM by Diablo Venom

Device Links

tmiller_iluvprinting

It would be a nice addtion if Photoshop recognized RGB=>CMYK device links as well as CMYK=>CMYK links.

Regards,

Todd

• 1. Re: Device Links
          Diablo Venom Level 1

It would be nice if Adobe would stop making toys and start creating solutions to the industies they serve.

• 2. Re: Device Links
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

That would probably have to mean an overhaul of the ACE and I’m for it.

• 3. Re: Device Links
              Diablo Venom Level 1

That's the least of their concernes. They have a much bigger issue of not only growing their user base for idiot level users, which their product shall make the most money, but they also have the difficulty of trying to retain their current users - which I clearly see as failing at a very fast pace.  Then again, those in high places could give a rats aisre at this point  - money is made, most don't have to care too much any more. Look at the product.  It tell's many signs of internal collapse.

But who am I to judge from the outs side looking past corporate failure.

• 4. Re: Device Links
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Well, I don’t fully share the bleakness of Your outlook on the matter.

As regards growing their user base: I wonder how many more users they could possibly reach anymore, it seems like there are a lot of Photoshop- or PS Elements-users already.

As concerns retaining current users: I have not noticed any serious competition so far and fortunately the newer features usually don’t negate the functionality of the stuff that helped make the program the industry-standard.

Are You actually switching to another image-editing (or layout-, etc.) software? If so: which one?

I have to admit though that stuff like the Content-Aware Scale seem like (probably) a lot of effort for features that to my work at least are basically useless – the programming-achievement and -coolness notwithstanding.

Color-/color-management-wise (I suppose this is a matter of special interest/frustration to You) Adobe may not be exerting its resources fully – but I don’t have inside-contacts (and no full comprehension of the issue anyway), so obviously I’m not really in a position to judge their efforts in that regard.

• 5. Re: Device Links
                  Diablo Venom Level 1

It's not a bleakness or a negative point of view. A lot of people see most of my comments as just that, but it's not the tone you should be focused on, but the message. The delivery of message is of frustration for sure because of the lack of common sense is completely missing as far as I see it from bad decisions made by many at Adobe. Actually, Im not the only one proclaiming this tone for this successful company. Go look at Flash forums for example. People are also frustrated as well including the Flash engineers. What kills me is the mindless march or the drag race to the cliff mentality marketing is showing for their products. Clearly the push for success outweights the need for a solid foundation.

As concerns retaining current users: I have not noticed any serious competition so far and fortunately the newer features usually don’t negate the functionality of the stuff that helped make the program the industry-standard.

Are You actually switching to another image-editing (or layout-, etc.) software? If so: which one?

It's not about competition. It's about creating applications geared towards your market audience. The complexity of the products are starting to lose the attention of users as well as losing the attention span of what people want to deal with in a package. I see the quality of jobs become increasingly trud status due to many factors. Things such as job workforce changes where as highly unskilled people doing production or the creation process -  that know little to nothing about how things should be done for a specific task is the norm. Basics are no longer given as a knowledge base. Art creation is part of a larger job responsibility for many. Anyone can do it because they have a computer or PDA right?  Yes, the have the device and the money to buy is there, but lack the skills to perform is the key that is missing. The complexity of the apps are growing, the users are savvy, but lack basic skills. Adobe is not in the business of training, but making software. Adobe is not in the business of becoming a business partner in your work environment. They preach as such, but I see things polar opposite . Adobe is not in the business of telling people best practice.  But guess what. If they don't start dealing with these issues, they will be a very small former of itself. Watch what shall happen after the release of CS 5.

Adobe deisgns in a safe zone of  - if we develop for individual users, we will not run into dealing with "telling people" HOW to run their business. In other words, Adobe designs products for single user interface, but what you are seeing now is a back lash and frustration from users who are having gross inaccuracies in transferring files to others due to the open archecture in software developement. Abobe WILL be forced to address this in it's near future or risk collapse. Sounds extreme, but I work in a global production market and I see change in many areas of business. The writing is on the wall. It's in many languages, but the message is all the same. Make standards and workflows or face the music of profit loss.

And my points are not about switching to another companies product, though never count Apple or Microsoft out of the graphics competition playing field.

It's all about market share and retention that Adobe needs to focus on through intellegent software. It's about feeding the main revenue stream of a larger picture or audience. Adobe would love everyone on the planet to have a Photoshop like applet as a standard install on every phone and computer. The problem is the current software idiotology and costs that prohibit this from becoming reality.

Color-/color-management-wise. (I suppose this is a matter of special interest/frustration to You) Adobe may not be exerting its resources fully – but I don’t have inside-contacts (and no full comprehension of the issue anyway), so obviously I’m not really in a position to judge their efforts in that regard.

Color management is such a small part of many issues. Yes it's important, but it's more important to burry it into a seamless oblivion. I have learned the hard way, but hard work does pay off when you have a REAL perspective on WHY things are so screwed up. I see the problems. I know the solutions. I know the idiotology of the company that makes the product. I know how it can be more successful and grow its market share. I also know that you have to eat crow in order for change to happen, but then again. people shall be people, and politics usually out wins popular vote and common sense. I would rather be right then popular as I watch a company redefine itself through a sea of opinions which have little market understanding for product they create.  It's clear to me now that Adobe is lost within their own creations and pretty much shall continue to spend millions to find their way into new pockets with little success with their current plight.