33 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2010 1:43 AM by KipperSarnie

Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?

Agalakov

As for many other people here PE 8 didn't work to me. I have Vista 64bit with 8GB of memory and a simple DVD-9 compilation always failed to me with 'not enough memory' message. It also worked really slow on my desktop. I have spent a day implementing all possible fixes from Adobe support site, nothing helped and I had enough.

So I am trying to have my money back from Adobe for a product that doesn't work as advertised.

I followed process in http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/153/tn_15327.html and it was more than two weeks ago without any response from Adobe. A promised response time is 48 hours, but PE 8 was also promised to work well...

Had anyone successfully returned PE 8 and had their money back?

• 1. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Many people have successfully gotten their refunds.

• 2. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

To add to what Steve has said, many have returned PrE8 for their money back, within the 30-day period. Several have taken advantage of an offer from Adobe to replace PrE 8 with PrE 7.

Now, if things do not work out, say you are over the 30-day period, please come back and we'll address the problems that you are having.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
              Sydneydawg2006

Regretfully, I have also decided to go for a refund.  I have been unable to successfully import WMV files and to successfully export H.264 files without crashing after the infamous 'Low system resources' error.  Since I have the maximum amount of RAM, two fast computers designed to handle video, and have tried everything that I can think of, it is time to throw in the towel.

The thing that did it for me was downloading the Vegas trial last night and successfully doing everything in a quarter of the time with no crashes. Ah well.

It is kind of wierd because I have great experiences with other Adobe products: Lightroom is absolutely superb.

• 4. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                Agalakov Level 1

What Adobe had to do to fix situation with broken PE8 is to offer a free upgrade to Premier Pro or at least a HUGE discount for such upgrade, not a downgrade to PE7 that also has a lot of problems. Any company may have a problematic product, but it looks like Adobe just don't care about customer's satisfaction and loyalty.
                I requested my refund on January 10th, today is January 27th and  Adobe customer support hasn't done anything at this time with a promise of a maximum 48 hours delay. This fact by itself speaks volumes about Adobe customer support service.

As soon as I have my refund I am switching to Corel or Sony and will not be back. Meantime I am going to give one star reviews for PE8 in any place that have reviews for it. At least I still have a hope to receive my refund.

• 5. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                  Schlista3 Level 1

I can't believe it. They granted my refund request and I had the product for over 2 months! But then again I had been working with support on

trying to get them to fix some thumbnail issues.

Funny thing is the forum found a work-around for one of my thumbnail issues and now I get my refund approved.  Oh well.  I guess I will roll back to Elements 7 now (after I actualy get the funds credited back).

And use Studio 14 for most my editing.

• 6. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

"Low Memory," and "Low Resources" are rather a confusing compound - RAM, RAM utilization by other programs/Processes and the same for Windows Virtual Memory (Page File). It is not just RAM.

This ARTICLE addresses getting one's computer ready for an NLE, or authoring session. Many programs/Processes can be loading unnecessarily, sapping "resources" needed by PrE.

Just having a lot of RAM installed, on a fast computer, is often not enough, depending on the various programs and Processes, that are loaded at boot up. Most computers, especially brand new ones, have tons of "bloatware," that gets launched at boot.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      What Adobe had to do to fix situation with broken PE8 is to offer a free upgrade to Premier Pro or at least a HUGE discount for such upgrade, not a downgrade to PE7 that also has a lot of problems.

Well, probably not the "huge" discount wished for, but if one has PrE, there is usually an upgrade allowance to PrPro. If Adobe threw in the price already paid for PrE, that might be a good move. However, when one considers that the difference is a $100 program vs a $800 program, I would not expect to see the allowance THAT large.

I would hope that Adobe is busy at work on PrE 8.x, to address some of the issues, and also allow the user to easily disable some of the "features," that seem to be causing issues. Though there are seldom incremental updates to PrE, I think this might be a great time to deviate from previous practice. To date, no one has even any rumors to spread.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                        Agalakov Level 1

PE8 has 'low memory' on DVD preparation. I used several programs to make my own DVD before and never had a resource issue even on a much weeker computer. I didn't even try AVCHD, but I had it in mind choosing (wrongly) PE8.

Has anyone an experience with PE7? Where can I find an information about downgrade from PE8 to PE7? Frankly I don't think now that I will go this way. I would be option if Adobe customer service contacted me and ask about my problems a day or two after I have sent a request, not after they ignored me for more than two weeks.

As about waiting for PE8 service pack or upgrade I think it is a pipe dream. Does Adobe has a history of service packs or updates for their Element products? As far as I know they don't care. They will just release PE9 with 'smile recognition' and 'animated icons' and other uselees crap, and it will die on the most trivial tasks on 80% of computers. Sorry my bitternes but I used to think high about Adobe.

• 9. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                          Sydneydawg2006 Level 1

With respect to resources: Well, first thing I did when I had crashes was to check out the Resource monitor to look at memory consumption, CPU load, check out the services running, etc. I realise the fault may not be just memory consumption - but the fact is that there is loads of memory available  (700MB reserved for hardware, 1400MB in use comprising Adobe Premiere at over 550 MB and the rest consisting of the OS and a few other services such), there were not any other applications running, background services were the ones expected, etc.

The only other thing that I can think of is crappy memory - but I have pushed things to the limit in the past without any problems.

• 10. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Out of curiosity, could you post a screen-cap of the Processes that are running on your computer?

It might be useful to post the results of Dxdiag and post the screens of each tab.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                              Agalakov Level 1

I am attaching a text file generated by DxDiag. No problems.

• 12. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Is 11/28/2009 the latest nVidia driver? That seems pretty old.

How many Processes/programs are running at boot?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                  nealeh Level 5

Latest WHQL Nvidia driver is 196.21 dated 19th January 2010.

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 14. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thank you. That is about what I thought, hence the poster's driver is out of date. Do not know about the other OS's, but XP-Pro has had a dozen, or so, updates and hot-fixes in that time. My guess is that both Vista and Win7 have too. Those can kill a video (or audio) driver in a heartbeat. That is why nVidia and ATI offer new drivers on such a regular and frequent schedule.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                      Agalakov Level 1

It was the latest WHQL NVidia drivers available on the time when I was installing and playing with PE8. At January 12 I have already uninstalled PE8 and unregistered its key. May be the new NVidia WHQL drivers from January would fix PE8 but I don't what to install it again. By instructions from Adobe if you are requesting money back you have to immediately unregister and unistall Adobe product, and I have done so. I don't what to be rejected by Adobe with a reason 'you have asked for your money back but you continued to use our product tsk-tsk-tsk'.

My original request to Adobe soon will be three weeks old and it is still without any response, even 'did you try that or that?'. Nobody cares. This forum is more attentive to my woes than Adobe customer support. I am just glad I have problems with a $100 software and not with $700-$800 software from Adobe.

• 16. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I understand your concerns. When working on something like a rebate, or a return, I always try to "play by the rules."

I also feel that Adobe T/S and C/S is lacking. Even Adobe management agrees, and has promised to make major changes in those departments. Do not know a timeline, but I hope that they can get things back to how they were in the past. At one time, I ranked Adobe as #2 in overall customer service, and technical service. Reading the horror stories from others, indicated that things had changed, since I last used either.

Also, for all but licensing/registration issues, I strongly recommend that users with problems come to the fora first, as the solution will likely come more quickly and be more useful. When it gets into those licensing/registration issues, we're pretty much handicapped, as most of us have zero experience with such, and only limited anecdotal info from other users, who might not have remembered the exact policies, etc. correctly.

Most of all, good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Finally some update
                                          Agalakov Level 1

So my request was posted on January 12th, and on February 8th finally the status of request was updated and I was told that my request is forwarded to the appropriate department for a review. I mean, like, four weeks just for forwarding request to the appropriate department?!
                                          Anyway I will keep you posted if I will be able (finally) to return PrE/PhE bundle back to Adobe for bug's fixing.

• 18. Re: Finally some update
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, with most large corporations, there are various departments, and they might be separated by floor in an office building, a courtyard, or even by states, or countries. Where did you send your request, compared to the location, to which it was forwarded?

So long as you filed your request within the time limits, there should be no issue. You have provided Adobe with the necessary info, and it took some time for them to respond, telling you that the process was in motion. With large corporations, things can move a bit slowly.

Once the request for a refund has been processed, by the right department, and then authorized, the refund might well come from another company, a fulfillment company, hired to do refunds, or rebates. That is how it is, in our complicated times. I first encountered this, back in about 1953, when I sent in a form for a rebate from Kellogg. It took about 3 mos., way back then, and the check came not from Battle Creek, MI, but from a company in NYC. At the time, I could not understand, but I was only about 6 years old. Now, I understand it much better.

I wish you luck, and hope that the refund is quick in coming.

Hunt

• 19. Re: Finally some update
                                              gib01 Level 1

Hello, I recieved mine in about two weeks after confirmation. I really wanted it to work but my system was just a litthe too old (Dell 4700). On Steve's recomendation I ordered PE7 and love it. No problems at all. Well, almost none. Hunt walked me thru the only problem and it was really my own. (I forgot to render work area under time line after that everything worked great.) Still learning but PE7 for me was the answer.

Good Luck, Gib

• 20. Re: Finally some update
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Gib,

Thank you for reporting. The closest that I had to suggest was that with some rebate a couple of years back, Adobe's fulfillment house took quite a long time to get the checks processed. That is not the same thing, though some of the same mechanics could apply.

Appreciated, and good luck with PrE 7,

Hunt

• 21. I have received an e-mail that my request will be satisfyied
                                                  Agalakov Level 1

It has taken about a month so if you find yourself in the same boat that probably has to be your reasonable time expectation. It also will be several weeks before I have really received a check.
                                                  It is a great pity that PrE 8 didn't work for me. I guess my next attempt  will be when home video editing software is 64bit with OpenCL support (there are some packages already that support CUDA for processing).
                                                  Thank you all for advices and compassion.

• 22. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                                    KipperSarnie

I have had Premier 8 for a few months now, with freezes.

Now it will not load the work space except on the odd occasion!  I'm out of the thirty day but well under 12 months!

I've tried all the tips on the web site, I've reloaded I've tried drivers I even think I stood on my head at one stage.

As I type I'm downloading the trial version to see if that helps.

Where can I go from here except put it on ebay & hope I find another sucker besides me??

My copy is a combined package PSE 8 & PE8.

Intel Core 2 quad CPU

3GB ram

500gb Hard drive x2

ATI HD3450 Graphics card

Windows 7 64 bit

• 23. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                                      KipperSarnie Level 1

OK!  Down loading the trial version seems to have done the trick for now at least!

Yet it seems strange that a reload from the CD as well as downloading the patch showed no improvements!

I'll keep you informed as time goes by!

• 24. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                                        KipperSarnie Level 1

Sorry, spoke to soon!

Still no work space.

• 25. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                                          nealeh Level 5
                                                          • Have you updated QuickTime to the most recent version?
                                                          • How much free space is available on your disks, and have you defragmented them recently?
                                                          • What programs / processes are running before you start PRE?

Cheers,
                                                          --
                                                          Neale

• 26. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

The first thing that I would look at would be the ATI/AMD vid-card driver. If the latest does not help, then roll back a few versions. There have been reports of a few issues with the very newest ones (reports several weeks old, so that might well have been improved upon).

Good luck, and do not pass over Neale's suggestions too.

Hunt

• 27. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                                              KipperSarnie Level 1

Thanks for your help.

Quick time is up todate.

Last defrag was on the 27th May & again last night.

I have my HD's partitioned

"C"  27.3 GB Free (Programs)

"D" 201 GB Free  (General stuff)

"E" 143 GB Free (Photo)

"F" 236 GB Free (Video)

My second HD Is 500 not 250 as I previously stated.

I have tried to open with no other programs running & with them running.  I have given it up to 30 minutes to open just incase there is a delay.

Once in a while "Hey Presto" it opens be it a "New Project" or the one I'm trying to complete.   It opened once when I opened Photoshop over the top.

I managed to get about 30 minutes of editing time last night untill it froze!

I have now spent what must be 20 hours at least trying to fix this. the first time I installed PE* it was good but had freezes & crashes but now no Work Space or perhaps about 1 in every 200 attempts to open it?

I'll report on drivers later.

• 28. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                                                nealeh Level 5

Check that neither your scratch disks or Windows Temp is set to C: If they are, that small 27GB may be contributing to unstable behaviour.

You can check Scratch Disks in PRE under Edit> Preferences.

You can check Temp by pressing both the [Orb] key and the [R] key together. In the Run box that brings up type (excluding the quotes) "%temp%" and press [enter].

Cheers,
                                                                --
                                                                Neale

• 29. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Partitions are a very, very bad idea, especially if doing any video editing. This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 30. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

This is a great ARTICLE on HDD setup for video editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 31. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                                                      KipperSarnie Level 1

Thanks for the help.

Scratch discs are all "F"

I'm not sure about  "%Temp%"  all I get is a big list with no link to PE.

All was well last night PE8 opened no problems!

Arghh!  This morning a blank grey screen after opening a project from the welcome screen!

The only available commands in the header bar are :-

File  (Open new or project & exit)

Edit  (Customise keyboard)

Window  (Restore work space & docking headers)

Help  (All help topics)

Home  (Brings up the welcome screen)

Maximise

Minimise

Close

All the rest are not highlighted / available.

• 32. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                                                        nealeh Level 5

KipperSarnie wrote:

I'm not sure about  "%Temp%"  all I get is a big list with no link to PE.

That big list are files that many various programs store as temporary files. The key is to look at *where* that big list is - if it is on the C: drive we should move it (we'll cover that later if needed). As it is a big list I suggest selecting all of them with [Ctrl]-[A] and then [Shift] [Delete] them. Any that are currently in use cannot be deleted and you should choose to skip them when prompted. You can also use Windows Disk Cleanup to remove them.

If you are sure that your computer itself is running reliably you can delete all system restore points, except the last. This is on the second tab of the Disk Cleanup utility.

Finally remember to empty the Recycle Bin.

Cheers,
                                                                        --
                                                                        Neale

• 33. Re: Had anyone succeded to return PE 8 back to Adobe?
                                                                          KipperSarnie Level 1

OK people, thanks for the help.

The more I try to sort it the worse it gets!

I can spend my time more productive than this, so I've given up.

I'll put the cost of the software down to experience but sorry Adobe once bitten twice shy!

Reading these forums & web searches It looks to me as if Adobe has released a flawed PE8 hoping the punter will overcome the problems for them & I just got suckered!