2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 8:17 PM by the_wine_snob

Imported Stills are Over-saturated

deb1992 Level 1

We're using PPro CS4 on a 64-bit Vista machine.  We've imported video into our timeline and it looks fine.  However, when we import the JPEGs we made in Photoshop CS4, they come in much more saturated than they show in Bridge.  We've checked in Camera RAW and there are no adjustments being made to the JPEGs.  We made the JPEGs color space to be sRGB.  Two questions:

1.  What color space does PPro use?

2.  What is causing the over-saturation and what can we do to solve it besides manually adjusting each image within PPro?

• 1. Re: Imported Stills are Over-saturated
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is likely because Bridge is Color Managed, while PrPro is not. The color space should be Adobe RGB (1998). What is the Color Space of the JPEG's?

Also, instead of JPEG's, have you considered keeping your still images in .PSD? I only use JPEG for delivery to Web clients, and never for Video, but then I am old-school, and all of my work is in Camera RAW to PSD, so just keep things in that format. Also, if you started with JPEG, and then did a Save_As JPEG, you HAVE recompressed the data, and this is seldom a good thing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Imported Stills are Over-saturated
            the_wine_snob Level 9

One additional comment. The Program Monitor in PrPro is but an emulation. To do Color Grading, you will want to have a calibrated NTSC (or PAL) CRT monitor, fed via FireWire, and not the computer's monitor and the Program Monitor.

Good luck,

Hunt