12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2010 5:07 AM by jerundim

Fireworks CS4 Maintain Font Appearance not working

quanvu123

Hello,

I previously created a button on Fireworks MX with the font "Monotype Sans WT" from an IBM computer.

Then I changed to another computer that doesn't have the font.  Fireworks MX was able to correctly maintain the font appearance when I want to create a new button.

However, since I upgraded to the new Fireworks CS4 version, I was not able to recreate the same font appearance.  The "maintain font appearance" functionality is no longer working.

Is anyone having the same problem?

Is this a bug introduced in the new version?

Is there anyway I can resolve the issue?  (I do not have the old computer anymore).

Thanks all for you help,

Quan

• 1. Re: Fireworks CS4 Maintain Font Appearance not working
          JoyceEvans Level 3

If I remember correctly, you lose the "appearance" as soon as you try to edit it.I don't know the mechanics of how it maintains it.

If you want to continue and use the font just re-install it again:-)

• 2. Re: Fireworks CS4 Maintain Font Appearance not working
            pixlor Level 4

I did a search for that font and it isn't so easy. It appears to be a multi-lingual non-latin font of over 51,000 characters that may be tied into a composition engine to make it easier to type languages that use double-byte characters. Not something you can just find and buy.

I found this description:

http://www.monotype.com.hk/download/sample_PDF/worldtype/MTSans_SC.pdf

and this contact information:

http://www.monotype.co.uk/main.cfm?groupid=7&pageid=7

I would recommend finding a replacement font.

• Vista (and I expect Windows 7) come with many non-latin fonts.
            • There are a number of free fonts on the Internet. Use your favorite search engine and search for "Chinese fonts" or "Thai fonts" or whatever language it is you need.
            • Commercial Asian fonts are also available. For example, here are Chinese fonts at MyFonts: http://new.myfonts.com/search/chinese+fonts/fonts/ (note that some are Latin fonts in an Asian style)
            1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Fireworks CS4 Maintain Font Appearance not working
              Sarthak Singhal Adobe Employee

Hi Quan,

I am not sure of what do you interpret with same appearance. What is the attribute that is appearing changed when the maintain appearance option is being used in Fireworks CS4?

It will help if you could share with us the Fireworks png file.

..Sarthak

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Fireworks CS4 Maintain Font Appearance not working
                jerundim

Downloaded Fireworks CS4 upgrade today - god I hate the Adobe website!

On opening files created in CS3 - I get 'legacy text must be updated before you can edit it'

Click update and the 'GENUINE' font I had previously used goes from regular to italic. When I look in the text style dropdown, regular isn't available.

So I copy 'GENUINE' font family (including regular) from my Windows fonts folder and place inside C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts

Shut down pc - restart - behold regular style preserved - BUT - the text has now moved down the page and mis-aligned.

Nightmare! I'm trying to do some work here!

Is there a fix for this. I have downlaoded the update from the Adobe site - but no improvement. Otherwise, I'm face with re-aligning text evertime!

• 5. Re: Fireworks CS4 Maintain Font Appearance not working
                  quanvu123 Level 1

@Joyce, yes that's what I noticed in the new version.
                  I remember being able to edit the text without changing its look before.
                  I don't know the mechanics either but it worked pretty well.

@pixlor, that's exactly what I've been going through.
                  That font is not easy to find.
                  Thanks for summarizing the information.

@Sarthak, the attribute that gets changed when you try to edit the text is the Font Face itself.  When I click on the text, the font face defaults to Arial and changed the look of my text.

@jerundim, I know how you feel.  Isn't software supposed to get better over time?

I am likely going to replace the entire website buttons text with a new more standard font.  It's a pain, but I think it's best for the long run.

Perhaps it was my mistake that "maintain font appearance" is only maintaining the current look statically until you try to edit it.

It may be that I overlooked the font face differences earlier.

As a software developer myself, I think it's impossible to replicate the original font without knowing all the characters...

So I take this as my mistake on the understanding of "maintain font appearance" functionality.

Thanks for your responses; they are much appreciated.

• 6. Re: Fireworks CS4 Maintain Font Appearance not working
                    pixlor Level 4

jerundim wrote:

Downloaded Fireworks CS4 upgrade today - god I hate the Adobe website!

On opening files created in CS3 - I get 'legacy text must be updated before you can edit it'

Click update and the 'GENUINE' font I had previously used goes from regular to italic. When I look in the text style dropdown, regular isn't available.

So I copy 'GENUINE' font family (including regular) from my Windows fonts folder and place inside C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts

Shut down pc - restart - behold regular style preserved - BUT - the text has now moved down the page and mis-aligned.

Nightmare! I'm trying to do some work here!

Is there a fix for this. I have downlaoded the update from the Adobe site - but no improvement. Otherwise, I'm face with re-aligning text evertime!

The issue with text misaligning to the text box was addressed in the first updater for CS4. If you installed that, it should have fixed the problem. Maybe start a new thread (since your issue is different) and post specifics such as your OS.

• 7. Re: Fireworks CS4 Maintain Font Appearance not working
                      pixlor Level 4

quanvu123 wrote:

Perhaps it was my mistake that "maintain font appearance" is only maintaining the current look statically until you try to edit it.

I think that is correct. You can't edit a text element unless you have the font installed. That would mean that any text elements with "maintain fort appearance" would only be fine if you did not edit them.

I think you would be better off if you found a new font that looks similar, then opened your file and replaced the old font with the new one. Then you could edit!

• 8. Re: Fireworks CS4 Maintain Font Appearance not working

If you can attach the Fireworks png file, we will be in a better position to investigate and make any further recommendations.

..Sarthak

• 9. Re: Fireworks CS4 Maintain Font Appearance not working
                          jerundim Level 1

OK - Here is example - various items of text (genuine and arial fonts in this case) jump to the left and down the page - please, see words...

POKER

Friday, Jan 22, 8.00pm

TRIPLE

If I don't elect to 'update' then these are not editable - so there appears to be no way around it.

Hope you can fix - or I will feel that I have not spent my money wisely on this upgrade. CS3 is very 'buggy' and I'd hoped Adobe had fixed things for version 4 - but not so!

Macromedia Fireworks was such a pleasure to use - so simple, so intuative, great for amateurs like me - please, Adobe don't let this once user-friendly application wither on the vine. Integrating it with Photo-Shop seemed to be a great idea - but maybe Adobe simply wanted to absorb the competition and slowly suffocate it. I notice that it doesn't figure very prominently on the Adobe website - you actually have to go and find it - which seems to indicate a lack of enthusiam for the product.

Sorry, Sarthak - but whilst I'm sounding off - how is it that a company that is a world leader in web design products like Adobe has such an awful website (and forum - how buggy how many failures to post properly now?). I may not be the first to say this, but it is so slow, so complicated, so unfriendly - ordering a download was a mission. Usually, when I land on a site so slow and difficult to navigate, I'm off in a flash to find an alternative - maybe I should have done the same this time?

LATER POST

Tried uploading file twice - crashed both times - suggestion - why don't you quickly create a file in CS3, save it - then re-open in CS4 - and see the problem for yourself ??

• 10. Re: Fireworks CS4 Maintain Font Appearance not working
                            pixlor Level 4

jerundim wrote:

OK - Here is example - various items of text (genuine and arial fonts in this case) jump to the left and down the page - please, see words...

If I don't elect to 'update' then these are not editable - so there appears to be no way around it.

Hope you can fix - ...

"Maintain appearance" is so that you can open a Fireworks document and see how it's supposed to look without having the fonts installed. If you want to edit text elements, then you need to have the fonts installed or "Update" the text elements to use a different font. You can only edit text with font files you have. It isn't a bug that you can't edit text if you've elected "Maintain appearance."

Also, by putting your Genuine fonts in your Adobe fonts folder, all you've done is put some files in a folder. You have not installed the fonts onto your system. You need to install the fonts in the way that is normal for your operating system. Note that Fireworks reads installed fonts when it starts up, so if you install new fonts while Fireworks is running, you need to close Fireworks and restart.

jerundim wrote:

Tried uploading file twice - crashed both times - suggestion - why don't you quickly create a file in CS3, save it - then re-open in CS4 - and see the problem for yourself ??

The reason Sarthak asked for your file is that the problem seems to be specific to your set-up, fonts, or file. It isn't a problem that everyone has. I normally use Chrome, but the uploader on this forum doesn't seem to work with Chrome. When I want to insert an image, I switch to Firefox. Perhaps as an alternative, you could post your file on a Web site or create a file drop on http://drop.io/ (no long signup!).

A Web search indicates that the Genuine font comes bundled with Avery software. If you're having trouble with this font, you might try re-installing your Avery software to refresh that font install.

• 11. Re: Fireworks CS4 Maintain Font Appearance not working

Thanks pixlor for helping me.

@jerundim Can you try uploading the file at some fileshare and then paste the link here. the attachment seems to be corrupted and hence of no use for further investigation.

..Sarthak

• 12. Re: Fireworks CS4 Maintain Font Appearance not working
                                jerundim Level 1

OK - I have tried to upload a smaller file with some sample text - fonts namely Genuine and Arial Black.

When ever I open a file like this (which was created in CS3) I get problems in CS4. I suggest that you open it in CS3 first - save a copy - then open in CS4 and see if you get the same problems that I've been experiencing. eg Arial Black changes to Arial-Black and anything written in the Genuine font jumps down the page and across to the left.

On the question of fonts and their availability in CS4 - why was it that when I upgraded from Fireworks MX to CS3 all of my system fonts were automatically available - but with CS4 they are not? All of the fonts i usually use are in my WINDOWS fonts folder - isn't that the usual place? Iam using the Windows XP system.

What must I do to correct this? Why should I have to?

At present, CS4 is pretty much useless to me - I have created countless files in CS3 that I re-use, borrow from, modify etc - I don't want to have to throw years of work away and start again!

I simply don't understand how Adobe could issue an upgrade from the CS3 version to the CS4 version and not have checked all of this out to ensure a smooth transition. If the files created in the older version cannot be used in the new version - it's not really an upgrade, is it? I might as well have bought a completely different application.

as to the reply...

Also, by putting your Genuine fonts in your Adobe fonts folder, all you've done is put some files in a folder. You have not installed the fonts onto your system. You need to install the fonts in the way that is normal for your operating system. Note that Fireworks reads installed fonts when it starts up, so if you install new fonts while Fireworks is running, you need to close Fireworks and restart.

Fine, I am not an expert and I certainly don't understand the intricacies of how the Adobe and MS systems work - why should I have to? AND if it was (as implied) a futile procedure - why did  it work? Why was Genuine font regular suddenly available to me after I pasted the copy into the folder?

I repeat - why was it that when I upgraded from Fireworks MX to CS3 all of my system fonts were automatically available - but with CS4 they are not?

I look forward to receiving your advice.

Many thanks,

Jerundim