15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2010 2:22 PM by the_wine_snob

importing problems and editing question

lily316

Ok I have two questions. My first is I have an avi video that i am trying to edit. Every time that i import it the audio come out fine but the video portion seems to be stuck. It will jump around for a few scenes and then land on on and it will stay there for the rest of the video. I have tried several things to fix this.  The one thing that seemed to work some was i exorted  from movie maker onto my desktop. It did fix it to an extent but at several points throughout the movie it will get stuck for a few seconds and then catch back up. any tips on what i am doing wrong?

My second question probably seems dumb but i am new to video editing. The video is very dark. I know the lighting can only be fixed to a certian point and it will start to be pixilated. I have two objects in the video that I need to know the placement of when the video goes outside into the dark. I dont need definition in the video i just need to know where these objects are at any given point ( the objects are moving). I have edited it to a point that i can somewhat see the objects. Is there a way to draw a border around these objects and be able to follow them throughout the entirity of the video. Thank you for all your help.

Jenn

• 1. Re: importing problems and editing question
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Some suggestions and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

• 2. Re: importing problems and editing question
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What Harm said... with the added thought that AVI is only a file wrapper... use GSPOT as mentioned in the troubleshooting link to determine the CODEC that is contained inside that avi file

My GUESS is that it will be xvid/divx... which are NOT edit formats, they are output view formats

• 3. Re: importing problems and editing question
              Matt Petersen Level 3

Your first issue sounds like a codec problem, or a machine that doesn't have the grunt to run CS4 with the footage you have. If the former, have a look at the free program SUPER and try converting your file into something more common-or-garden, like DV AVI Type II.

The second issue is more curly. There are two possible ways you can go. If the object is of suitable clarity, you could try motion-tracking a box in After Effects. If in some instances the pixels "just aren't there" as in the case of under or over exposure out of gamut (beyond the range of what the camera can record), you could always draw a box manually in the title editor and use keyframing to make the box follow where YOU KNOW the object to be. Second one is the more pragmatic option, unless you REALLY want to learn motion tracking....

Good luck.

MP

• 4. Re: importing problems and editing question
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Please tell us in details, all about your Imported Assets. Behavior, like this, often happens with Assets, like DivX, or Xvid. It can also happen should one's Project/Sequence Preset not match 100% with the Source Footage. The more details that you can offer, the better.

If you need to gather the info on your Source Footage, please download, install and run your files through the free utility, G-Spot. That will give you the full details, including the CODEC's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: importing problems and editing question
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For underexposed footage, I use the Levels (not Auto-Levels), and then Shadow & Highlight (turning OFF Auto, and setting to a set amount, say 35 to begin with). The order of these Video Effects can have a hand in the result. That is why I gave you my order, but experiment. I also find Fast Color Corrector to be useful, as well.

If the footage is badly underexposed, and there is too much video noise, I use a 3rd party plug-in, Neat Video, to make that correction. When I am satisfied, I will often add a bit of Unsharp Mask, afterwards.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 6. Re: importing problems and editing question
                    lily316 Level 1

Thank you for all your help. I download super just a few minutes ago to try to convert it. I apologize but I am not very smart when it comes to computers. I do have a question regarding the converting. I dragged to file into super to convert it but am unsure what to do next. I look for any thing that said DV AVI II but was unable to find it. In the output folder I did find DV but nothing there or anywhere else that listed AVI II. How do I convert it? Again thank you for all your help and time I really appreciate it.

Jenn

• 7. Re: importing problems and editing question
                      Matt Petersen Level 3

Jenn, try these settings as a start. You may have to tweak the video size/framerate depending on whether you're in PAL or NTSC land. Then just hit "encode active files".

If you want to control where the file ends up, right click anywhere in the interface and choose "Output Saving Management" and set an output folder.

MP

SScreenshot.png

• 8. Re: importing problems and editing question
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, this ARTICLE will give you a bit more background on "wrappers," like "AVI."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: importing problems and editing question
                          lily316 Level 1

I finally was able to convert the video successfully thanks to your help. so I went into premiere pro cs4 to import it and it stated that the video dimensions (width and height) were too large. Im sure this is what you were talking about when you said i may have to tweak the video size. Im using NTSC. so how do i fix this. I dont know if this will help but I went to G-spot and got all the info I could on the converted video. Thank you again

Jenn

gspot.png

• 10. Re: importing problems and editing question
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

NTSC: 720x480 at 29.97 fps with 16bit 48khz sound

• 11. Re: importing problems and editing question
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

That pink warning message, "Bad Chunk... " does not bode well for the conversion from Super. I have not used that conversion program, so cannot comment on how well, or poorly, it might do.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: importing problems and editing question
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the two changes that I would make to Matt's screen would be in the Audio area. As you point out, PCM/WAV (in lieu of MP3), and 48KHz 16-bit for the sample rate and bit-depth.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: importing problems and editing question
                                  Matt Petersen Level 3

Well spotted guys, I should have paid more attention to the audio area.

In terms of the "bad chunk" message, that could be an issue, it's the first time I've seen it.

Now in terms of the Premiere message, that's a new one. What PROJECT do you have setup, i.e., what are you trying to import that footage into?

As Bill says, we'll have to go back a step or two for some details before we can nut this one out.

Matthew

• 14. Re: importing problems and editing question
                                    lily316 Level 1

Matt

Thank you for all your help with this issue along with everybody else who gave me great pointers. I have learned alot in what seemed like a problem I wasnt going to be able to fix. I ended up downloading the prism converting software to convert the video. This software was alot easier to use espically for people who have no idea what there doing when it comes to converting. It took a little bit longer to convert, but I just imported the converted video into premiere and it seems to be working perfectly now.  In this software I just chose AVI and NTSC function and it did the rest for me. This software might be more useful if you get another person in the same boat that I was in.... much less confusing and its very stupid proof. Again thank you for all your guys time. i was at the end of my rope trying to fix this problem and you guys helped out so much. Now I can start working on my editing problem.

Jenn

• 15. Re: importing problems and editing question
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jenn,

Glad that Prism worked for you. It gets a lot of recommendations on the PrE forum. I started to recommend it, but as I have never used it, I hesitated.

Good luck, and hope that all goes well. Thanks for reporting.

Hunt