Describe your disk drive setup. Its possible your disk is a bottleneck.
Thanks for the response.
I have 3 hard disks (samsungs), all SATA-II; disk1 (1000GB; 32MB buffer, 3 partitions, one is used for win7), disk2 (250GB), disk3 (750GB; 32MB buffer; 3 partitions, one used for the premiere project, including the media cache files)
I hope this is enough information.
Have a look here, How to get the best from a PC? Some guides... and specifically the storage guide.
Is your material AVCHD? Have you run the http://ppbm4.com benchmark and submitted your results to Bill? (You can send me the Output.txt by PM as well). With your disks I would use the 250 GB for OS & programs, the 1 TB for media and the 750 GB for pagefile, media cache and projects and lose all partitions.
Sorry for not responing for a few days, but I runned the benchmark you'll send me. The main results (dee details attached file):
53,6, secs Total Benchmark Time
6,4, secs AVI Encoding Time
14,2, secs MPEG Elapsed Time
33, secs Rendering Time
Since the potential problem is my hard disk, inaddition, I runned HDtune (hopefully it will help pinpionting the problem):
disk1: avarage transfer rate: 94MB/s, acces time 13.8ms, burst rate 185MB/s
disk2: avarage transfer rate: 85MB/s, acces time 14ms, burst rate 157MB/s
disk3: avarage transfer rate: 73MB/s, acces time 13.9ms, burst rate 183MB/s
Analyzing these results, could the current hard disk configuration cause the problem I have, or is my system to slow anyway to edit AVCHD material?
If the hard disk configuration is the problem, could it be solved by applying your suggestion by removing all partitions? Since, I'm not looking forward of removing all partions(re-installing windows (dual boot win7 and vista), shifting a huge amount of data, etc), but if it would help I will do it.
Output.txt.zip 421 bytes
There is something wrong with your MPEG score. Have you made sure that you have followed the instructions to the letter and unticked 'Use Preview Files' for the MPEG encoding? First follow the setting instructions exactly and only then duplicate it ten times if you only run the MPEG encoding, otherwise duplicate 11 times and change the 11-th instance to AVI, correct the settings as instructed and duplicate ten times. Be sure that you first remove all the Benchmark files, otherwise the sequential numbering will be off. I would expect your MPEG score to be around 35-40 seconds.
Your AVI score and rendering score are what I would expect. Nothing wrong with those results, which means that your disk setup is OK. The trouble with AVCHD material is that is requires a very capable CPU, and despite the OC, it may be just too much for a quad core like yours. BTW, to be included in the results list, please answer the other questions that are asked. You have left them blank in the Output.txt file.
I apologize for uploading the wrong output file, I did the benchmark twice to check if the same numbers were generated (which was the case) and uploaded the files without the extra info. Futher, I indeed misread the instructions, I selected the 'use of preview files' and the other two wereas I should have deselected it, sorry. The new 'correct' numbers changed somewhat:
137,6, secs Total Benchmark Time
51,8, secs AVI Encoding Time
51,8, secs MPEG Elapsed Time
34, secs Rendering Time
I did the test twice, but the numbers didn't change, even not when the benchmark project was rendered to the 1000gb disk instead of the 750gb (which is somewhat slower). So are the numbers still indicating that my CPU is 'too slow' or that I have a harddisk problem? Thanks
Output.txt.zip 530 bytes
Jeffrey, sorry, but I think you again did not follow instructions to the letter. What I did when Bill asked me to help with the beta of this new version of his test was to print out the instructions, because they are not difficult, but require attention to detail. What I think happened now is that, contrary to the instructions, you also did not enable 'Use Preview Files' for the AVI test, hence the increase in that score.Your MPEG scores are not what I expected, I would have expected better results. This may be caused by services or processes running in the background. Use Process Explorer to find what is running in the background (much better than Task Manager) and have a look on the http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm site to see what services can be turned off to either manually start or disabled. I prefer setting it to manually instead of disabled.