4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 4:36 PM by Schlista3

Best way to re-organize your video (and photo) files?

Schlista3

What is the best way to reorganize the catalog?  I want to do something like media monkey does for media (auto organize).

For example, I want to resort all my videos by Year \ Month \ Day \ rename file to YearMonthDay (counter).xxx

I want them to be reorganized on the harddrive and I don't want Adobe to lose track of them in the catalog so that I don't have to retag them.  I have done this in the past with photos via a 3rd party program; however, that was before I had cataloged my library with Adobe.  Now that I have the catalog I don't want to lose all that work.

It would be nice if Adobe had a feature that did that, but that's probably asking too much when they have performance issues to deal with.

BTW: I tried the new Studio 14 and it's much better than the old version of Studio. But it's not as powerful as Adobe; however, it does work flawlessly.  It's amazing on they swapped roles.  It used to be Pinnacle Studio was buggy and slow with all kinds of power. Now Adobe is the slow buggy product and Studio 14 is the easy to use get it done product.

Also I just tried (briefly) corel's x3 pro video suite.  It's nice, but realy doesn't do anything extra that I need.  I was hoping it had a good organizer that worked like adobe's, but it doesn't.

• 1. Re: Best way to re-organize your video (and photo) files?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's really pretty much what the Organizer program does, Schlista.

Do you have the Photoshop/Premiere Elements bundle?

If not, Google's free program Picasa is very similar.

• 2. Re: Best way to re-organize your video (and photo) files?
            Schlista3 Level 1

I do have the bundle.  But I can't figure out how to get it to recreate my disk layout.  I know how to sort and filter within the organizer.  But

I want to change the actual file stucture behind it.  The only way I can see is very manual by selecting the files I want to move and then moving them to the folder I want to put them in.  I was hoping for an automagic way (like what media monkey does with Auto Organize).

It may be easier to understand if I explain what Media Monkey (MM) does.

MM works like most any other music database/player.  It catalogs your library.  But lets say you want to reorganize the layout of the music files/folders on your hard drive.  To use auto organize you just say what you want the folder/file layout to be and it will move all the music (or only music you selected) to that format.

So

C:\Music\<Genre>\<Artist>\<Album>\<artist> - <Title>

would result in music being moved on your hard drive in the associated structure.

So using the above you may see something like the following:

C:\Music\Country\Alan Jackson\Here in the Real World\Alan Jackson - Chasin' That Neon Rainbow.mp3

C:\Music\Country\Johnny Cash\Original Sun Singles\Johnny Cash - Folson Prison Blues.mp3

C:\Music\Rock\Led Zepplin\Houses of the Holy\Led Zepplin - The Song Remains the Same.mp3

• 3. Re: Best way to re-organize your video (and photo) files?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I can't be of any help there. Sorry. If Media Monkey is able to do this, it might be best to stay with it.

• 4. Re: Best way to re-organize your video (and photo) files?
                Schlista3 Level 1

Thanks for trying though. I appreciate you trying to help everyone out.

Unfortunately Media Monkey doesn't do it...it only does it for music.  Well there are some hacks to make it work with other files, but then I'm stuck with relinking all my media in organizer :-(