6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 9:48 AM by Chas Naylor

Jpegs to WMV?

JerryCied Level 1

Hi

is there an easy way to import say 50 sequentially numbered jpegs and export either an animated gif? or a simple wmv? or avi?

Thanks

Jerry C

• 1. Re: Jpegs to WMV?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You can import an image sequence and render and export a movie.

You listed three different output types that are very different. What is your intended use for the output movie?

• 2. Re: Jpegs to WMV?
            JerryCied Level 1

I'm not sure yet!

Depends on what tools i have to be creative with.

I could go in any direction.

I received an answer already in the fireworks forum that shows me how to do it and end up with an animated gif or flash file.

I may want to know how to do it in adobe premiere or after effects.

My son has one of the suites and i want to play.

I myself have dreamweaver, fireworks cs4.

I'm thinking maybe of doing some stop animation for youtube or even a film festival.

I'm also thinking of doing some animated gifs.

So i am merely being creative.

I would like to know exactly how to pull in a folder of jpegs and render them to an output file of some sort.

Do you know of a tutorial? as in maybe even a video tutoril?

Edit: I just noticed your link. That looks good. Thanks

Thank You

• 3. Re: Jpegs to WMV?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I recommend that you start with the getting-started materials described in this post: "Getting started with After Effects"

Among the video tutorials linked to by that post, there are some on rendering and exporting.

After Effects can create a vast array of different movie types. So, you don't really need to worry going in whether you'll be able to output to a specific format. Even if After Effects doesn't directly output to a specific format, you can output to an intermediate format and then use a specialized encoding/compression application (like Adobe Media Encoder or QuickTime Pro) to create the movie for final distribution.

But, as I said, work through the getting-started materials before worrying about specific details of final output. Getting context is important before asking detailed questions.

• 4. Re: Jpegs to WMV?
                Chas Naylor Level 1

And just so you know, jpeg to WMV sounds like a recipe for a nasty looking final render.  Not anything you would EVER want to submit to a film festival.

And if you used that workflow and posted to youtube, your footage will have been heavily compressed at least a total of 3 times.  Stepped on extremely hard.

My advice is use an uncompressed image file format (tiff, tga, even png24 would be better), and never use WMV for, well for ANYTHING (unless you have to).  It's a dog of a file format.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Jpegs to WMV?
                  JerryCied Level 1

Chas

Thank you for your advice.

I am aware to some extent of the horrible results of compressing compressed media.

Ideally my application would go from uncompressed bitmap to uncompressed AVI?

If i wanted to upload to youtube, they would re-compress to what they want.

Question 1

Are you aware of a format to submit to youtube such that they will not touch it? (like flv)

Question 2

If i go from camera capture, how can i capture it as uncompressed? Do some cameras compress it before it ever gets to the firewire port?

Question 3

True uncompressed video racks up the disk space. I have plenty of disk space but is there such a thing as compressed lossless capture?

Question 4

Going from premeire or after effects to render. Is there a standard DVD quality preset?  to minimize compression artifacts?

I tried going from my video camera to capture and it was already compressed into AVI. Of course that was a cheap camera.

I dont have a good camera yet and even if i get a mediocre camera, i still would like to minimize the compression issues.

Thanks

Jerry Cic

• 6. Re: Jpegs to WMV?
                    Chas Naylor Level 1

Question 1

Are you aware of a format to submit to youtube such that they will not touch it? (like flv)

I am not a youtube expert, but I do know that they deal in .flv (which is their "low quality: setting) and .mp4 ("high quality").  I woul check this guy's site:

http://rodrigopolo.com

He has some outstanding tutorials on compression for the web (youtube).  While doing it the way he talks about may seem a little tricky and daunting at first, the results are WELL worth the effort.

Question 2

If i go from camera capture, how can i capture it as uncompressed? Do some cameras compress it before it ever gets to the firewire port?

You are talking about DV footage, and no there is no way around it.  Most of the SD cameras that you are going to use will require the DV codec.  There is no way around this, and you cannot get uncompressed footage from these cameras.

Question 3

True uncompressed video racks up the disk space. I have plenty of disk space but is there such a thing as compressed lossless capture?

Absolutely.  There are many cameras that use lossless compression.  One of my favorites is the Panasonic P2.  It uses the DVCPRO HD codec, which I think is a fantastic looking, light codec.  It runs somewhere in the data rate range of a standard DVD, but looks pretty doggone good.  These cameras are not especially cheap though, relatively speaking (relative to your standard consumer DV camera, that is).

Question 4

Going from premeire or after effects to render. Is there a standard DVD quality preset?  to minimize compression artifacts?

I think that if you want to compress for DVD you should be using adobe media encoder.  If you have AE or premiere on your system, there is a good chance you have access to AME.  I don't do compression for DVD, and when I did stuff for DVD we had a guy that squashed our stuff for us using big expensive systems.  But I am sure that AME will get you some good results

I tried going from my video camera to capture and it was already compressed into AVI. Of course that was a cheap camera.

I dont have a good camera yet and even if i get a mediocre camera, i still would like to minimize the compression issues.

Yeah again, that's just a function of DV.  And regardless of the camera you get you are going to have to deal with some type of compression, either lossy or lossless.  Generally speaking, the more expensive the camera, the better chance that the camera will use a nice codec.

What level of work are you trying to do.  Are we talking just hobby type stuff, or more high end?

If you are trying to do pro type stuff, like I said the Panasonic P2 is the place to start.  I've used some of the HDV cameras (JVC, et al) and I prefer the dvcpro hd codec over the HDV codec.  A decent P2 setup will probably cost you in the range of ~$6k.  Of course if you are looking to really juice it up go get yerself a Red.  But that's even more $$$

Hope that helps

1 person found this helpful