5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2010 6:53 PM by evylynrose

Reader Stopped Working

evylynrose Level 1

Adobe Reader downloaded a new update. During the installation process, an error message came up stating that the update had failed. After closing, all PDF files would not open. It acted as though Reader was not installed at all. After checking the Program Files, I was denied access to Adobe Reader. I tried to uninstall Adobe, but it was not in the list of programs to uninstall. When I tried reinstalling from the website, an error message came up stating I didn't have proper administrative privledges. Has anyone else had this happen with the new update?

• 1. Re: Reader Stopped Working
          pwillener Level 8

Try to remove the Adobe Reader installation with the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, then try the installation again.

If it still fails, please provide more information such as your Windows version, Adobe Reader version, running as admin, etc.

• 2. Re: Reader Stopped Working
            evylynrose Level 1

I am running on Windows Vista. I cannot find the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, unless you are referring to the Add/Remove Programs. If so, Adobe Reader is no longer showing there in order to remove the installation. I honestly do not have any idea as to which Adobe Reader version I was using as I cannot access the program files and there are no other indictations elsewhere that any version of Adobe Reader is on the computer. All other Adobe programs are working just fine.

As for running as admin, I am running off the computer's only account. I have not tried turning on the real admin as I've had problems in the past resulting from doing so.

• 3. Re: Reader Stopped Working
              evylynrose Level 1

I turned on and logged into the real Admin account. Then downloaded and installed Adobe Reader before logging off and back into the main account where I disabled the real Admin account. Adobe Reader is working and, as of now, there are no problems.

• 4. Re: Reader Stopped Working
                pwillener Level 8

Thank you for the feedback.

You can also run installations from a user account, by right-clicking on the downloaded installer, then select Run as Administrator.

• 5. Re: Reader Stopped Working
                  evylynrose Level 1

While that may work in XP, right-clicking to "Run as Administrator" does not work in Vista without turining on the user administrator account through the cmd prompt and then logging into that account.