3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2010 7:03 PM by fuzzyericlim

Problem with loading font in Javascript command: appliedFont

fuzzyericlim

hi, i have write a javascript to run in indesign cs4. I have loaded 3 font family: Trajan, Helvetica and New Caledonia

As i am step thru' the code to load the font, i encounter strange problem:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

var sty = doc.paragraphStyles.add({name:styName});

sty.appliedFont = "Trajan";  // -- always ok. It has a "Regular" style. I can use any other font as long as has "Regular" style

// however the immediate code will fail as it complains "The requested font family is not available" .

// It will only work if in Indesign, i select the font type to "New Caledonia" before the step thru the code

sty.appliedFont = "New Caledonia";

// The code will again fail  as it complains "The requested font family is not available" UNLESS i select the Font in Indesign as  "Helvetica" too

// Very very strange...

sty.appliedFont = "Helvetica";

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, if i use the 3 fonts family that has a "Regular" style , the 3 line of code will be ok...

Both the Helvetica and New Caledonia DOES NOT have "Regular" style..

HELP

• 1. Re: Problem with loading font in Javascript command: appliedFont
          fuzzyericlim Level 1

I am using Window version of Indesign CS4...

• 2. Re: Problem with loading font in Javascript command: appliedFont
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi, fuzzyericlim!
            Use "fontStyle" for your font weight to define the style as well.

Example:
            sty.appliedFont = "Univers";
            sty.fontStyle="55 Roman";

Uwe

• 3. Re: Problem with loading font in Javascript command: appliedFont
              fuzzyericlim Level 1

hi Uwe, i think i didnt write clear enuff...

i have installed Trajan, Helvetica and New Caledonia into my PC.

When i launch CS4 , i can see that Trajan has Regular style but not the other 2 ( which i dont know why. I can see it in WinWord)

i step thru my script using ExtendScript ToolKit using the below script snippet to test the 3 font.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

var sty = doc.paragraphStyles.add({name:styName});

sty.appliedFont = "Trajan";

sty.appliedFont = "New Caledonia";

sty.appliedFont = "Helvetica";

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When i step to "Trajan" line, it's ok. But the next step will fail, which i dont understand. I have New Caledonia font.

But it complaint "The requested font family is not available"..

Now, before i  step thru the script again, i purposely go to ID CS4 to set the font menu to "New Caledonia" ( at the top left hand corner )

Now when i step thru, the "Trajan and "NEw Caledonia" line is ok, BUT the script will fail at the next "Helvetica" line...

Strange enuff...i am lost...

However, if i change to following script, it will step thru successfully...All the below 3 fonts has "Regular" style

sty.appliedFont = "Trajan";

sty.appliedFont = "Times New Roman";

sty.appliedFont = "Arial";

Any advise?? =(

Message was edited by: fuzzyericlim