5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 2:41 AM by George Medve

Multilingual captioning, how?

George Medve

I am creating a CD-Rom presentation, the requirements of which are Video and multi-language captioning.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to gain experience with OSMF and the Captioning Plugin.

I am an FDT user rather than Flash Builder and have rebuilt the CaptioningSample example as a Pure AS3 project, swapping Flex components for Flash CS3 components. Everything compiles and video with captioning works well.

For the next step I want to add be able to switch between various captioning languages, but I can not see how I would go about adding this functionality.

I think I am going about this the wrong way and that there is probably a simpler way of doing this, but below is what I have tried.

I presumed that I would need to load all of the DFXP documents in advance. Then when the user selects a language the captionLabel textfield is populated with the correct caption.

I thought adding a value to kvFacet might work, but this always displays the last value entered.

// adapted from CaptioningSample.mxml line 118 in the loadMedia method

kvFacet.addValue ( new ObjectIdentifier ( CaptioningPluginInfo.CAPTIONING_METADATA_KEY_URI ), CAPTION1_URL );

kvFacet.addValue ( new ObjectIdentifier ( CaptioningPluginInfo.CAPTIONING_METADATA_KEY_URI ), CAPTION2_URL );

I have also tried changing th key used in  new ObjectIdentifier ( 'lang1' )but I cannot see where I would check against this new value.

Could anyone offer some assistance on this matter please?

Thanks in advance,

• 1. Re: Multilingual captioning, how?
          George Medve Level 1

I am starting to wonder..... is this even possible in this release of OSMF?

I have been trying all sorts of hacks and trying to got through the classes to see if

I can try and get it to work, but my understanding of the frame work is quite limited.

Can anyone offer any assistance?

• 2. Re: Multilingual captioning, how?
            bringrags Level 4

Couldn't you select the language up front and then assign the appropriate language-specific XML document to the metadata facet as the caption URL?

// Set the caption URL based on the selected language.

var captionURL:String = ...

// Assign to the resource the metadata that indicates that it should have a Timed Text
            // document applied (and include the URL of that document).
            var kvFacet:KeyValueFacet = new KeyValueFacet(CaptioningPluginInfo.CAPTIONING_METADATA_NAMESPACE);
            kvFacet.addValue(new ObjectIdentifier(CaptioningPluginInfo.CAPTIONING_METADATA_KEY_URI), captionURL);

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Multilingual captioning, how?
              George Medve Level 1

Hi Brian,

Thanks again

It is an idea but ideally I think the client would like to be able to switch at while the video is playing.

The funny thing is that I have managed to get it working with the CS3 FLVPlayback & FLVPlaybackCaptioning components by simply adding 2 instances of the FLVPlaybackCaptioning component. I did have some minor tweaks to sort but it works well.

I don't think that the current implementation of the Caption Plugin has been designed with this in mind.

It is a shame as I was quite looking forward to trying out OSMF.  Maybe once it has matured some more.

If any one has any ideas then I am interested in hearing them

• 4. Re: Multilingual captioning, how?
                bringrags Level 4

You're right, dynamic switching of captioning files is not currently supported.  Can you file an enhancement request here?

1 person found this helpful