9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2007 5:46 AM by UniquelyAm

<br /> instead of <br>

UniquelyAm
      Quick question -

When I use the quick tag select - where you hit the tag you want Dreamweaver to paste into the code - when I hit the 'break' tag it adds it as <br>. I would like it to add it as <br />.
      How do I make Dreamweaver add the break the way I want it added as?

Thanks for the help everyone.
      Amber.
        • 1. Re: &lt;br /&gt; instead of &lt;br&gt;
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Select page properties then title/encoding and see what the document type is. If it is xhtml, then Dreamweaver will make <br /> if it is html, then you will get <br>
          Silk
          • 2. Re: &lt;br /&gt; instead of &lt;br&gt;
            Level 7
            Add a XHTML doctype as the first line of your page so DW knows to create
            XHTML tags such as <br /> rather than HTML tags such as <br>.

So, if the first line reads:

<html>

Change it to:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
            " http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
            <html>

Are you using XHTML for a reason?

--
            Regards

John Waller

• 3. &lt;br /&gt; instead of &lt;br&gt;
              UniquelyAm Level 1
              Thank you, Silk.
              I had previously set that as XHTML 1.0 Transitional and it keeps spitting out <br>'s.
              I seem to recall it used to add the breaks as <br /> but for some reason it quit. I think I might have reinstalled it when it quit doing it.
              I'll try messing around with that for a bit and restart Dreaweaver since you seem certain that should sort it.
              Maybe it's just "stuck"... I dunno.
              But it's not saving me time anymore when I have to go back and add the space and slash to all my breaks now :p

Thanks again, Silk. Like I said, I'll play with it and see if it sorts itself because it is set to XHTML.

Amber.

Edit:
              Got it!
              It was still adding <br > so I went to "Selection Properties" two below the "Page Properties" and set it there. I thought that would just set the one page or "selected text" but regardless, I tried the break on several pages and it added <br /> to them all.
              Thanks a lot, Silk, you helped a bunch.

Amber.

Edit #2:
              Sorry John, you're post came out of nowhere!
              All of my pages have
              <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" " http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
              <html xmlns=" http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

I do web design and have always used xhtml when I create a page. I like the fact that it's stricter. Honestly, it's more of a preference than having a reason for using it. But I don't use <br> so this just gives me more of a reason not to use HTML if I can't set it any other way in Dreamweaver.

Anyway, it's sorted and I thank you both, tremendously, for the quick replies.

Amber.
              • 4. Re: &lt;br /&gt; instead of &lt;br&gt;
                Level 7
                > But it's not saving me time anymore when I have to go back and add the
                > space
                > and slash to all my breaks now :p

Edit > Find and Replace

Search: Source Code

Find: <br>

Replace: <br />

--
                Regards

John Waller

• 5. Re: &lt;br /&gt; instead of &lt;br&gt;
                  Level 7
                  I use FILE | New > XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

I click in Design view, and press Ctrl-T to get to the Insert Tag option. I
                  select <br> from the menu. DW inserts <br />.

How are you doing it?

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  ==================
                  http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                  ==================

"UniquelyAm" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:fbatdo$ngn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Quick question -
                  >
                  > When I use the quick tag select - where you hit the tag you want
                  > Dreamweaver
                  > to paste into the code - when I hit the 'break' tag it adds it as <br>. I
                  > would
                  > like it to add it as <br />.
                  > How do I make Dreamweaver add the break the way I want it added as?
                  >
                  > Thanks for the help everyone.
                  > Amber.
                  >

• 6. Re: &lt;br /&gt; instead of &lt;br&gt;
                    UniquelyAm Level 1
                    John, yeah, I use that Search & Replace function all the time. One of my favorite and most used Dreaweaver features.
                    I was being sarcastic, hence the ' sticking tongue out' smiley :p
                    Regardless anything ' extra' that I would have to do to change the <br>'s to <br />'s would be more time-consuming than just having it add the <br /> to begin with. But since it's only a few seconds to do something else to change the <br>'s, I had written it with a bit of exaggeration.
                    I guess I should remember that not everyone thinks like me and knows why I do what I do and say what I say all the time, not to mention we're also on the Internet reading what I say instead of hearing what I say and how I say it.
                    Thanks for jumping in to try and help me out there, though. That's always appreciated.

Murray, thanks for that.
                    I normally create a file from within the ' Files' panel that I have placed on my right-hand side of Dreamweaver. I have Dreamweaver FTPing to my remote server and I go to the directory on the server that I want to add a file or folder to and add it from there - 'right-click' on the remote folder I want the new file added to and then just open it.
                    Here's an image of what I'm talking about, not that you may need it -

Remote Connection Image

I have my Dreamweaver settings/preferences set to always create a new file using the XHTML 1.0 Transitional. So it automatically adds it at the top of every new file I create.

When I was having issues with Dreaweaver and another CS3 application of mine, crashing all the time, I ended up reinstalling it and still had the problem so I reinstalled the runtime dll's.

Link to the CS3 issue thread

It's a pretty long thread. A lot of people were/still are having the issue. But it was also a VERY helpful and supportive thread.
                    Anyway, I don't know if the reinstall had anything to do with the <br>'s not showing up as <br />'s but when Silk mentioned changing the Text Encoding to XHTML from the Page Properties settings, I started wondering if it was another encoding setting somewhere else that if I changed would solve it - and surprisingly, it was.

I had set the ' Edit > Preferences > New Document > Default Document Type' and ' Modify > Page Properties > Title/Encoding > Document Type' to XHTML and that SHOULD have caused Dreamweaver to add <br /> instead of <br> like Silk had mentioned - but it didn't, for some reason.
                    I ended up looking around after Silk mentioned that and I found one area that didn't have the Document Type set and I set it and somehow it magically started working after that.

I think it was just a fluke. It just wasn't doing what it was supposed to be doing for whatever reason and once I slapped it around a bit it finally shaped up and started doing what it was supposed to be doing.

Thanks a lot for adding the tip about the Control + T in Design mode. I didn't know that one either.
                    After all this time using Dreamweaver....
                    I really need to take some time to check all the functions that I never thought I had a need for. It'd be great if that Control + T function worked in Code mode (I like the drop-down from the Control + T), because I never use Design mode, besides I can Save and then just refresh the web page because I have Dreamweaver FTPing to my remote server so I get a " truer" view of my website than with the Design mode view.

I have the tutorial DVDs of ' Total Training Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 Essentials' that I really should take the time to look at for the simple fact that there are TONS of time-saving features that I still haven't checked out or even know about with Dreamweaver. And more are probably being added on or changed with each new version.
                    Anything to help my productivity would save me time which in turn would increase my earnings because I'd be able to get more websites done, quicker. And god knows we could use the extra money. Especially with the cost of these applicationss! I purchase every version of every application that Adobe and the ones that Macromedia used to come out with. It'd be a blessing if they were cheaper - it has cost me a fortune but they do everything I need to get done and have been a great help, so I can't really b!tch...

Anyway, I've gone WAY off topic and this one site I'm doing is going to take a good while and I can't afford to spend ages on it - so BACK TO WORK!

You've all been a great help and the issue is sorted - I have my <br /> back!
                    While it may not seem like a big deal to anyone else, it really was to me and I thank you all for taking the time to help me get the issue sorted.

Take care all,
                    Amber.
                    UniquelyAm.com
                    • 7. &lt;br /&gt; instead of &lt;br&gt;
                      UniquelyAm Level 1
                      I did NOT double post :/
                      • 8. Re: &lt;br /&gt; instead of &lt;br&gt;
                        Level 7
                        As you can see below, the smileys look crappy when reading from NNTP. It's
                        better not to use them at all. Note also what happens to your formatting
                        <sigh>.

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                        ==================
                        http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                        http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                        ==================

"UniquelyAm" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:fbd7jf$77p$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > John, yeah, I use that Search & Replace function all the
                        > time.
                        > One of my favorite and most used Dreaweaver features.
                        > I was being sarcastic, hence the ' sticking tongue out' smiley
                        > :p
                        > Regardless anything ' extra' that I would have to do to change the
                        > <br>'s to <br />'s would be more time-consuming than just
                        > having
                        > it add the <br /> to begin with. But since it's only a few seconds
                        > to do
                        > something else to change the <br>'s, I had written it with a bit of
                        > exaggeration.
                        > I guess I should remember that not everyone thinks like me and knows why I
                        > do
                        > what I do and say what I say all the time, not to mention we're also on
                        > the
                        > Internet reading what I say instead of hearing what I say and how I say
                        > it.
                        > Thanks for jumping in to try and help me out there, though. That's
                        > always appreciated.
                        >
                        > Murray, thanks for that.
                        > I normally create a file from within the ' Files' panel that I have
                        > placed on my right-hand side of Dreamweaver. I have Dreamweaver FTPing to
                        > my
                        > remote server and I go to the directory on the server that I want to add a
                        > file
                        > or folder to and add it from there - 'right-click' on the remote folder I
                        > want
                        > the new file added to and then just open it.
                        > Here's an image of what I'm talking about, not that you may need it -
                        >
                        > http://www.uniquelyam.com/img/screenies/dwremote.jpg
                        >
                        > I have my Dreamweaver settings/preferences set to always create a new file
                        > using the XHTML 1.0 Transitional. So it automatically adds it at the top
                        > of
                        > every new file I create.
                        >
                        > When I was having issues with Dreaweaver and another CS3 application of
                        > mine,
                        > crashing all the time, I ended up reinstalling it and still had the
                        > problem so
                        > I reinstalled the runtime dll's.
                        >
                        > http://www.gthelp.com/showthread.php?t=87551
                        >
                        > It's a pretty long thread. A lot of people were/still are having the
                        > issue.
                        > But it was also a VERY helpful and supportive thread.
                        > Anyway, I don't know if the reinstall had anything to do with the
                        > <br>'s not showing up as <br />'s but when Silk
                        > mentioned
                        > changing the Text Encoding to XHTML from the Page
                        > Properties
                        settings, I started wondering if it was another encoding
                        > setting
                        > somewhere else that if I changed would solve it - and surprisingly, it
                        > was.
                        >
                        > I had set the ' Edit > Preferences > New Document > Default Document
                        > Type
                        ' and ' Modify > Page Properties > Title/Encoding > Document
                        > Type
                        ' to XHTML and that SHOULD have caused Dreamweaver
                        > to add
                        > <br /> instead of <br> like Silk had mentioned - but
                        > it
                        > didn't, for some reason.
                        > I ended up looking around after Silk mentioned that and I found one
                        > area that didn't have the Document Type set and I set it and
                        > somehow it
                        > magically started working after that.
                        >
                        > I think it was just a fluke. It just wasn't doing what it was supposed to
                        > be
                        > doing for whatever reason and once I slapped it around a bit it finally
                        > shaped
                        > up and started doing what it was supposed to be doing.
                        >
                        > Thanks a lot for adding the tip about the Control + T in
                        > Design
                        > mode. I didn't know that one either.
                        > After all this time using Dreamweaver....
                        > I really need to take some time to check all the functions that I never
                        > thought I had a need for. It'd be great if that Control + T
                        > function
                        > worked in Code mode (I like the drop-down from the Control +
                        > T
                        ),
                        > because I never use Design mode, besides I can Save and then
                        > just
                        > refresh the web page because I have Dreamweaver FTPing to my remote server
                        > so I
                        > get a " truer" view of my website than with the Design mode
                        > view.
                        >
                        > I have the tutorial DVDs of ' Total Training Adobe Dreamweaver CS3
                        > Essentials
                        ' that I really should take the time to look at for the
                        > simple
                        > fact that there are TONS of time-saving features that I still
                        > haven't
                        > checked out or even know about with Dreamweaver. And more are probably
                        > being
                        > added on or changed with each new version.
                        > Anything to help my productivity would save me time which in turn would
                        > increase my earnings because I'd be able to get more websites done,
                        > quicker.
                        > And god knows we could use the extra money. Especially with the cost of
                        > these
                        > applicationss! I purchase every version of every application that Adobe
                        > and the
                        > ones that Macromedia used to come out with. It'd be a blessing if they
                        > were
                        > cheaper - it has cost me a fortune but they do everything I need to get
                        > done
                        > and have been a great help, so I can't really b!tch...
                        >
                        > Anyway, I've gone WAY off topic and this one site I'm doing is
                        > going to
                        > take a good while and I can't afford to spend ages on it - so BACK TO
                        > WORK
                        !
                        >
                        > You've all been a great help and the issue is sorted - I have my <br
                        > />

> back!
                        > While it may not seem like a big deal to anyone else, it really was to me
                        > and
                        > I thank you all for taking the time to help me get the issue
                        > sorted.
                        >
                        > Take care all,
                        > Amber.
                        > UniquelyAm.com
                        >

• 9. Re: &lt;br /&gt; instead of &lt;br&gt;
                          UniquelyAm Level 1
                          *throws her hands up in the air and walks out....*