7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 6:04 PM by the_wine_snob

Locating Files

artbyruss Level 1

I updated my computer from XP to Windows 7, and now when I open previous projects I can not locate files.   The Adobe sofware keeps asking me where the file is.  I tried C:\Users\Russ\My Pictures\Paul Gauguin\IMG_7656 (and other routings), but the software keeps telling me file not found.  Can someone tell me how I can locate pictures so that my computer can recognize them? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Locating Files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The structure of Windows XP directories is a bit different than the structure of Windows 7 directories.

Also, unlike when you upgrade from Vista, Windows 7 is a complete reinstall of the operating system. You can't upgrade directly from Windows XP. Did you back up your files, per Microsoft's instructions? If not, they may have been overwritten.

• 2. Re: Locating Files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE is really pretty helpful at re-linking media Assets. There are several reasons that it cannot find the linked files, and Steve touched on one of them.

When PrE encounters a link, that is no longer valid, it will ask you "where is file _______.AVI," etc.. You will have a Find button on that message/dialog screen. Just navigate to the new location, and select the missing file. Now, the really neat thing is that PrE will then look down its list of broken links, and will automatically re-link to all such files in that folder. If some of your Assets are in other folders, PrE will ask again, and you will then need to Find, once more. Once everything has been re-linked, I would do a Save_As (just to keep that original PREL file intact - just in case), and increment the Project's title, say "My_Project_01."

I also find it easiest to first locate my Moved Assets with Windows Explorer/My Computer first, before I launch PrE and Open such a Project. This tells me exactly where to navigate to (I find the screens in Windows Explorer to be easier to navigate, as I see the full tree), with the Find function. I just make notes, so when I get that "where is?" screen, I know where to go with Find.

Hope that this helps. BTW - once you re-link the files in their new location, you should never have to do this again, so long as you do a Save/Save_As for that Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Locating Files
              artbyruss Level 1

Thanks so much.  That solved the problem.

Russ

In a message dated 1/27/2010 12:14:21 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

PrE is  really pretty helpful at re-linking media Assets. There are several

reasons  that it cannot find the linked files, and Steve touched on one of 

them.

When PrE encounters a link, that is no longer valid, it  will ask you

"where is file

• 4. Re: Locating Files
                artbyruss Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

Russ

In a message dated 1/27/2010 12:06:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

The  structure of Windows XP directories is a bit different than the

structure of  Windows 7 directories.

Also, Windows 7 is a complete reinstall of  the operating system. You can't

upgrade directly from Windows XP. Did you back  up your files, per

Microsoft's instructions? If not, they may have been  overwritten.

• 5. Re: Locating Files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Thanks so much.  That solved the problem.

You are most welcome and thanks for reporting your success!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Locating Files
                    JessicaD42 Level 1

Artbyruss,

What type of installation did you perform when you migrated from Windows XP to Windows 7? Please note that when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.
                    For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

For additional assistance with the migration of Windows XP to Windows 7, please go here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ee150430.aspx   

Jessica

Microsoft Windows Client Team

• 7. Re: Locating Files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jessica,

Thank you for reporting those details. They will very likely help others in the future.

Appreciated,

Hunt