6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2010 12:08 PM by Chuck A. McIntyre

PPro CS4 "unknown recorder error"

phunkya Level 1

Premiere Pro CS4 and Premiere Elements 7.0 are both having the same problem on this machine.  During the digitizing process (F5 - Capture window) it will randomly stop digitizing and a window titled Recorder Error pops up with the unhelpful message "Unknown recorder error." and only an "OK" button.

Here's the machine details:

XP

Professional

Version 2002

SP3

HP Compaq dc7600 Convertible Intel(R)

Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz

3.39 Ghz, 3.00 GB of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE Graphics card

We're digitizing video from a Canon GL2 via Firewire:

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

What other info would a trouble-shooter want to know?

This issue is consistent for mulitple users (this machine has multiple users with unique log-ins and user profiles in Windows).

It's worked fine until a couple of months ago.  An identical machine is runing Production Suite CS4 just fine.  That machine has only one primary user (me).  The other gets used by a half a dozen people, but the admin. functions are all locked by our IT department.  Can anyone provide links to trusted trouble-shooting instructions or give me some idea of what the problem might be?

Any assistance or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony Roberts

JournalStar.com

• 1. Re: PPro CS4 "unknown recorder error"
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Try while being logged in as administrator.

• 2. Re: PPro CS4 "unknown recorder error"
            phunkya Level 1

I can't log in as an administrator, the machine is locked by IT.

I can ask them to test it, but if it works for an administrator and not normal users, I still have a problem.

If it does work, what would need to happen to fix the problem for all users?

If it does not work, what would be the next step to find a solution?

• 3. Re: PPro CS4 "unknown recorder error"
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Using PR is best done with full administrator rights. So give everybody an administrator account.

• 4. Re: PPro CS4 "unknown recorder error"
                phunkya Level 1

I can't just "give everyone an administrator account."  That's just not realistic in a corporate IT situation.

• 5. Re: PPro CS4 "unknown recorder error"
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

That's your problem. Try if that solves your problem for a single user and if it does, contact IT and explain your dilemma.

• 6. Re: PPro CS4 "unknown recorder error"
                    Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

We hauled three of our systems to the Mirage in Las Vegas last week where we had to do a live show record to disk and create a bunch of DVD's for

the event attendees. We ran component from the staging company's equipment into the back of two DV Cam decks and from there we ran firewire cables into our 2 computers.  We were getting the dreaded "unknown record error" on both systems at first.  On both systems, I "Ran" msconfig and disabled all unnecessary startup items.  One of the systems never had an "unknown record error" after that. The other system continued to have the error approx 3-5 times during a 3 hour capture. OnLocation crashed when we hit the record button so we captured everything through Premiere CS4. I think the problem may have been the drive we were capturing to. We were bad.  Harm can probably guess what we did.

BTW, on the last day before my flight home, I netted a whopping $6 at a craps table.  One of the young ladies I work with won $1100 placing daring but foolish bets.  I watched a guy, not with our party lose over $6000 in a matter of minutes. I asked one of the guys working at the table what was the most he ever saw someone win at the craps table. he said 1.4 million.