2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2007 9:05 PM by Chris_Rehm

PNG 24-32 Transparency problem

Chris_Rehm Level 1
      I've just purchased CS3 Design Premium and I'm trying to recreate a few pages using DW. When I add an image to a page I can not get a transparency setting for the 24 bit or 32 bit PNGs in the Image Preview pane. I can for 8 bit PNG or GIF, but the header I am working with has some drop shadowing and looks horrible in less than 24.

Is this a setting thing or something? Or does DW just not support the use of transparency in 24-32 PNG?
        • 1. Re: PNG 24-32 Transparency problem
          Level 7
          IE < 7 doesn't render alpha transparency correctly. It produces an off
          color box around the image. But if your image isn't a background image, you
          can use a pngfix.js to force IE6 to render properly. As to why it isn't
          rendering properly in DW, I don't know for sure. My transparent png-24
          images look fine in DW8 - with or without the png fix.

www.homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/pnghowto.htm

--Nancy O.
          Alt-Web Design & Publishing
          www.alt-web.com

"Chris_Rehm" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fcs84i$i9d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I've just purchased CS3 Design Premium and I'm trying to recreate a few
          pages
          > using DW. When I add an image to a page I can not get a transparency
          setting
          > for the 24 bit or 32 bit PNGs in the Image Preview pane. I can for 8 bit
          PNG or
          > GIF, but the header I am working with has some drop shadowing and looks
          > horrible in less than 24.
          >
          > Is this a setting thing or something? Or does DW just not support the use
          of
          > transparency in 24-32 PNG?
          >

• 2. Re: PNG 24-32 Transparency problem
            Chris_Rehm Level 1
            Thank you for your response.

It's not that I can't view the image okay, it is that I cannot generate a PNG image with transparency in either the 24 or 32 bit formats. When I place the graphic (a Photoshop image) and the image viewer dialog pops up asking me what kind of net image I want (that will go in the site directory) if I choose a GIF or a PNG 8 bit image, I have an option for transparency. But if I pick PNG 24 or PNG 32, the transparency option goes away and the image must have a matte.

I just purchased this software so I am very new to Dreamweaver. GoLive actually would not let me create PNG 8 files with transparency, but that never bothered me because if 8 bits will do, then GIF works for me. GoLive would, however, generate a 24 bit image with transparency and this is one I've been using.