4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2010 5:43 AM by New2PRE

Insertion into Video1 Timeline breaks Effects in Video2

New2PRE

I am just NOT having fun with PrE8.  I keep getting tripped up on the seemingly inconsistent use of the

timeline metaphor and insertion point.  I have 100 clips nicely edited with some titles, some transitions and some effects (on Video2).

I gang clipped the Video1 + Video2 and "grouped" them -- in fact, I "grouped" the entire timeline AFTER the place that I wanted to do an insertion.

Alas, inserting anythign causes the Video2 track to go way out of sync.

Is there some "trick" to extending an existing clip and then doing a "replace" -- things are getting too delicate in terms of hours-invested to try to "re-learn" another timeline metaphor.

I will post a separate problem another time.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Insertion into Video1 Timeline breaks Effects in Video2
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What do you mean by "causes the Video 2 track to go out of sync"? Out of sync with what?

Are you asking how to add a clip to Video 1 without rippling Video 2? if so, the solution is to hold down the Ctrl key as you add a new clip to your timeline.

And what is "gang clipping?"

Did you really mean to say that you've grouped your entire timeline (thus locking all the clips together) and then you tried to insert a clip into the group? That won't work, of course. A group is a group. You can't insert something into it without ungrouping.

I'm also not clear on what you mean by "extending an existing clip and then doing a replace."

• 2. Re: Insertion into Video1 Timeline breaks Effects in Video2
            New2PRE Level 1

Sorry that I wasn't clear.

The "out of sync" was that V1 clips had effects and picture-in-picture elements that were in V2.  Adding a clip earlier in the timeline caused the V1 clips to move out of sync with V2 even though they had keyframes originally together.  And, V1 and V2 clips were "grouped" -- first try they were grouped as just the pair of V1+V2, but (below) I tried to group the whole right side of the timeine.

In the "gang" grouping clarification:  the clip "inserted upon" was NOT in a group, but all of the V1 and V2 clips (with their effects) were grouped as one big blob in hopes that the group would move to the right and make room for the insertion that was "prior" to the group.  I  do agree that a 'group' can't be separated, as that would defeat the concept of the group.

In a previous post, I learned that a soundtrack, even if intended to be continuous and unedited can have 'gaps' introduced when V1 (in this case stills) were changed. But, I discovered, that taking any of the silent V1 stills, and individually making them longer (drag the out point to the right), moved the entire V1 track to the right without causing a 'cut' in the soundtrack. Once the V1 element was "longer" I seemed able to 'replace' the clip without cutting the soundtrack.

That help?  Thanks.

• 3. Re: Insertion into Video1 Timeline breaks Effects in Video2
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm sorry. I'm really confused by your description.

If you add a clip to Video 1, the timeline should ripple -- that is, all of your clips on all of the tracks to the right should move aside so that you can insert the clip.

If you hold down the Ctrl key as you add a clip, you will override the ripple effect and none of the clips on the timeline will move when you insert your new clip.

I'm just not clear what you're doing with all this grouping. There's really no point in grouping unless you're moving several clips at once.

Maybe someone else can help you if you still need more information. I'm just not getting it. sorry.

BTW, have you seen my free tutorial series on Premiere Elements on Muvipix.com?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

It may answer many of your questions about the program's basic functions and workflow.

• 4. Re: Insertion into Video1 Timeline breaks Effects in Video2
                New2PRE Level 1

I am SO with you on what should happen.

With no ctrl-clicking, one would think that all of the timeline components should be in lock-step, but they're not. There must be some obscure reason (they're stills without audio) that might cause PrE8 to think they're more autonomous than they are -- but I'm guessing.

Since this is a large project, I'm resigned to getting sections of the show rendered "as-is" into MPEG clips and then using those so that they don't fall apart.  Leaves a lot of flexibility and horsepower on the floor, but these "personality attributes" make a simple UI metaphor get in the way.

Thanks for the help.