• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open PDF in browser causes blank error box (Windows 7)

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2010 Jan 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just freshly installed Windows 7 today. I then installed Adobe Design Premium CS4, including Adobe Acrobat Pro. I use IE8 and Firefox 3.6.

FYI, this problem does not occur in Windows Vista or lower...only Windows 7.

The problem is that when I click on links to PDF documents that open in a browser window, a blank error message box will sometimes popup and nothing else happens (see blank error box below). But other times when I click on the same PDF, it will open just fine. I tried opening it four times in a row, and it worked 3/4 times. Then, I did it four times again, and it only worked 1/4 that time. Totally random.

blank_error.png

So I tried clearing the browser cache - no luck.

Tried reinstalling Adobe Reader 9.3 - no luck.

Tried uninstalling Adobe.com and Adobe AIR - no luck.

Tried both IE8 and Firefox - both randomly showed the blank error box.

The PDF documents are being rendered through PHP, so I also tried changing the PHP header(), but the same blank error box kept randomly showing up.

What in the world is going on here?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2010 Jan 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same issue except that I find it when I try to open a PDF in IE8 with Win 7 with Reader 9.3. Once I close down IE8 I receive a message box: "Message from the Webpage Server Error: Class: WDJ_Acroform Method: Error Message: Could not send message!:  The form I am trying to use is an interactive one for submitting returns and works on Win XP.

This is apparently a fix for this but I can't figure it out (This is from https://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1304874&tstart=-1):

"Check an indicator "Display PDF in browser" on Adobe Reader application.
You can find the indicator as below.

Open Adobe Reader
-> select the menu "Edit"
-> select "Preferences"
-> select the Category "Internet"
-> set the indicator "Display PDF in browser"

We should set this indicator in order to display PDF forms in browser."

Hope you can figure it out and of so post your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2010 Feb 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, first off, that is not even the same problem as I am having. Next time, please search for your specific problem or start your own topic. And secondly, my problem is obviously being caused because the PDF is opening in the browser, so I don't know why you added the instructions.

Does anyone have any ideas at all, or can we get an answer from Adobe as to why this could be happening? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

First things first, if you have installed both Reader and Acrobat, that can be the cause of your problem. Uninstall Reader and re-install Acrobat. Then you need to update Acrobat 9 to the latest version. Acrobat 9.0 is not Windows 7 compatible. You need the latest updates to get full compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar problem on my 64-bit Windows 7 HP desktop computer with 5 GIG RAM.  But I get this error message.  I only have the Reader installed (version 8.1.5).  I checked the preference settings and "Display PDF in Browser" is checked.  Also, I'm using FireFox 3.5.7.  AFAIK I have the latest version of the Reader installed (just now had it check for updates to make sure).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2010 Feb 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JOHN,

Sorry that the information that I provided was stupid but I was given that from 2 TOTALLY different sources. I actually sent an e-mail back to one to say that the information did not help but did not hear from them (a govt department help desk).  I was hooping that someone could decipher what I sent you (as I said I hope you have better results than I did).

I had the same issue as you trying to open an PDF page from a government site in IE8 to lodge a return and it gave me EXACTLY the same box as yours and then the message about the server error after I closed down the page.

Thankfully today I received an update notification from Adobe, installed it and lo & behold no longer any problem.

Hope, you sort your problem out.

Regards,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2010 Feb 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I have the exact same problem.  I have had it off and on since I got my new computer a week ago with Windows 7.  This morning I downloaded one PDF file successfully, and the other gave me the dialog box you showed.  When I click OK the next screen is completely blank.  I am going to see if anyone from Adobe can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 22, 2010 Mar 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. Everything was working fine in Win7x64 and latest firefox when I went to view a site that wanted me to upgrade flash(some video's like you tube or something). After installing the stupid ass getplusplus thing(just to get flash) which then installed flash, I could no longer view the pdf's.

In fact, what initially happened was I tried to load a pdf and I got that blank error message, then I tried loading it again and it worked. I then tried another pdf and got that error message and now have repeatedly gotten then error message. This is almost definitely an issue that was caused by installing the flash player since this is all I did between the time it was working and wasn't. Of course it could just have been a coincidence.  Again, before I installed flash everything was working fine. Just minutes before I was viewing pdf's in firefox then I went to view some video's(from ehow) and it gaves me some error message and the video, while playing, had the overlay saying I wasn't using flash 10. I installed flash 10, then no more pdf.

Also, I just went back to the ehow video I was watching and I still get that flash message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2010 Mar 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just uninstalled both flash and shockwave then reinstalled them and now I do not have that problem! Thank god. Either it was a temporary thing or it was something to do with the adobe dlm, flash, or shockwave. I believe it only fixed it when installing shockwave. I think the problem still occured when I first installed flash. Those with the problem might try what I did and see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2010 Mar 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

looks like I spoke too soon(as always) ;/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2010 Apr 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be a regularly occuring issue in firefox. Usually it works fine but ones whatever happens happens it stops for a while. I imagine there will be no fix for it though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2010 Apr 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the biggest problem with my company's windows 7 machines- it not working with adobe
reader. Its an on going thing that I have been trying to “fix.” The issue is
with Windows 7, IE8 and adobe reader, and viewing pdfs on the internet. The blank error message is not consistent.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes
it doesn’t. Sometimes it doesn’t work and kicks you out of IE. Sometimes you
can view the pdf only if you try multiple times to open it.

I thourhgt I narrowed it down to the adobe dll or add on inside IE. I have been testing “fixes” for a couple weeks now I have been reading about whats
working for others, but:
Reinstalling hasn’t worked, as reported
Running Adobe reader 9.3 hasn’t worked, as reported
Running adobe reader in compatibility for vista and as admin hasn’t worked, as reportedRepairing IE8 (which clears out errors with addons) hasn’t worked, as reported.

Reports suggested removing adobe and going with another pdf reader such as Foxit. Foxit works
perfectly for everything but our company specific software- we HAVE to have no less than or greater than Adobe Reader 9.2.x for our other applications to work properly and pdfs HAVE to be displayd in the browser.

Another report suggested installing adobe reader in vista compatibility
mode (different than just running it in this mode). I did this on one
machine tonight and my initial testing of opening browser pdfs was
successful but it "broke" shortly after.

I set a few "problematic" sites (mostly intranet sites) to compatibility view inside IE8. Did not help.
We are also seeing pdfs crashing IE so for IE crashing unexpectedly, we tried removing Windows live software, this has been touch and go, but removing Windows live software did not help completely with IE crashing nor with the blank pdf errors. I also disabled all adobe addons for IE8 thinking that would certainly fix it but it did not as well.

So thats where I am. Anyone have any luck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2010 Apr 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry for your continued frustrations! My problem ended up being fixed after they released an update for Adobe Reader 9. It hasn't done it since. Not sure why it would still be doing it on your end, unless you don't have the newest update. If you do have the newest update, then this still needs to be addressed by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 11, 2010 May 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As odd as it sounds, our company cannot upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader. Anything past 9.2 will not work for us as we have other web based programs that are dependant on a specific version of AR- that being 9.2. So ya, we're screwed in that instance.

Currently, I am testing this isue with Firefox, but since we HAVE to run IE, for those web based applications, I am running FF with IEtab, which runs IE inside of FF. Currently its working- mostly. Doesnt make sense but neither does this entire issue. And this is just a work around- not a desireable solution.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys,

There is a simple workaround for this. Just DON'T "Display PDF in a Browser". At first I was going to have all the users in my company Right-Mouse Click and Save PDF to their Desktop. But then realized it's just simpler to have the PDF open in the Reader and it gets around the problem fine. This is a great workaround until the whole Windows 7/IE8/Adobe PDF situation mature a bit.

In case you forgot the instructions from John, here's how:

Open Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat (Pro):
-> select the menu "Edit"
-> select "Preferences"
-> select the Category "Internet"
-> UNCHECK the "Display PDF in browser"

This worked for our company. Hope it works for you.

- Greg H.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix has not worked for everyone. I tried this iniatially and it did not resolve my problem until I unchecked 'fast web viewing' as stated in my post. Although both seem to be viable options!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2010 Nov 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me.... thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I have the answer to your annoying problem.

I have Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate.

I had the same error until I did the following:

1) Uninstalled Acrobat Reader 9.3
     2) Downloaded Version 8.2 and 8.2.1 Patch:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Adobe-Reader-Download-2572.html

3) Installed 8.2 and Patch

4) Closed all browsers, re-opened.

5) FIXED!

-pmk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Philip M Kalas for your suggestion.

I have been having this intermittent blank error box when trying to open a pdf in a browser (IE 8, Chrome, FireFox) running on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.

I followed Philip's suggestion and it worked for me.

1. I uninstalled Adobe Reader 9.0
  2. Downloaded Adobe Reader 9.3.0 from http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Adobe-Reader-Download-2572.html
  3. Installed Adobe Reader 9.3.0
  4. Close and restart my browser.
  5. Open the pdf and problem fixed.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2010 Sep 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might just have found and answer for this. I was not getting the Blank error page but just a blank page...

Try going into IE tools --> Internet Options --> Advanced tab --> Security --> make sure the 'Do not save encrypted pages to disk' IS checked

Worked for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a fix to this annoying problem. And it must have something  to do with Adobe Reader 9 not having enough time to load the PDF. 

In Adobe Reader 9: Click 'Edit', 'Preferences...', 'Internet' (In the sidebar), Uncheck 'Allow fast web view'. 

I think this is much better than completely preventing it from displaying in the web browser.  

I hope this fixes everyone's problems.

Worked for me on Mozilla FIREFOX 3.6.10 using Adobe Acrobat 9 PRO!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2010 Oct 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the blank error box went away, applying the (now probably unnecessary) fix I stated above, I began receiving a message stating that Acrobat had to close, but still opened up the file. Everything worked, but there was always an annoying message before every PDF.

After unchecking the 'fast web view' setting, I no longer receive any errors at all.

Follow Dan's fix, it is the best solution.

Thanks Dan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan, thanks for sharing. I've encounter this empty dialog from time to time and today I realized there must be any solution for that annoying bug. Unchecking that option really helped. Thanks again. And guys in Adobe, please fix it somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2010 Dec 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this worked for me. I have Acrobat 9 Pro (not Reader) under Windows 7 64 and unchecking  'fast web viewing'  fixed the display problem I had with Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and went to the fix suggested but still couldn't get it to work. Has anyone else had any luck?

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines